Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

T-Mobile USA, Inc., and Research In Motion today announced the new BlackBerry Curve 8520 smartphone, ... BlackBerry News forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

T-Mobile USA and RIM Introduce the New BlackBerry Curve 8520

Advertisement

T-Mobile USA, Inc., and Research In Motion today announced the new BlackBerry Curve 8520 smartphone, a new addition to the BlackBerry Curve series of smartphones, with availability expected on August 5.

Key features of the BlackBerry Curve 8520 smartphone include:
    - Full-QWERTY keyboard and touch-sensitive optical trackpad for reliable, responsive typing and navigation
    - 256MB Flash memory and a 512Mhz next generation processor for enhanced performance
    - Premium phone features including voice activated dialing, and Bluetooth (2.0) support for hands-free use with headsets, car kits, stereo headsets and other Bluetooth peripherals
    - 2 MP digital camera with zoom and video recording
    - Advanced media player for music, pictures and videos, with dedicated media keys and a 3.5 mm stereo headset jack, plus BlackBerry(R) Media Sync, which makes it easy to quickly sync music from iTunes(R) or Windows Media(R) Player with the smartphone(ii)
    - Access to BlackBerry App World(TM), featuring a broad and growing catalog of third-party mobile applications developed specifically for BlackBerry smartphones. Categories include games, entertainment, social networking and sharing, news and weather, productivity and much more
    - BlackBerry(R) Internet Service support for access to up to 10 supported email accounts, including most popular ISP email accounts such as Yahoo!(R), Windows Live(TM) Hotmail(R), AOL(R) and Gmail(TM); and BlackBerry(R) Enterprise Server support, which provides advanced security and IT administration features for corporate deployments
    - Expandable memory via hot swappable microSD/SDHC memory card slot, supporting cards of up to 16 GB today and expected to support next generation 32GB cards when available; a 1GB card is included
    - Built-in Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g) with support for T-Mobile Unlimited Hotspot Calling service
    - Quad-band world phone: EGDE/GPRS/GSM (850/900/1800/1900 MHz)
    The new BlackBerry Curve 8520 smartphone from T-Mobile will be available on August 5 at T-Mobile retail stores, Walmart Stores, select authorized dealers, and online at http://www.T-Mobile.com.
    Prior to retail availability, customers can learn more about the BlackBerry Curve 8520 smartphone at www.blackberry.com/curve8520.

The slim new BlackBerry Curve 8520 is an incredibly approachable smartphone that comes in two attractive colors from T-Mobile - black and frost. For people who like to be connected, it provides easy mobile access to email, messaging (IM, SMS, MMS) and popular social networking sites (including Facebook(R) and MySpace) and features a highly tactile full-QWERTY keyboard for comfortable, accurate typing. It also features rich multimedia capabilities and access to music, games and other mobile apps for entertainment on the go.

The BlackBerry Curve 8520 smartphone is a world phone, and is also Wi-Fi(R)-enabled to arm customers with fast Web browsing and Wi-Fi calling. T-Mobile customers can continue to get great mobile coverage and unlimited nationwide Wi-Fi calling with T-Mobile's Unlimited HotSpot Calling service as well as unlimited nationwide calling to five people with T-Mobile myFaves(R) service.

In addition to providing the industry's leading mobile email and messaging solution, the BlackBerry Curve 8520 smartphone is designed to be efficient and convenient. It introduces an innovative touch-sensitive optical trackpad, which makes scrolling and selection smooth and easy for a great navigation experience. It is also the first BlackBerry smartphone to feature dedicated media keys, smoothly integrated along the top of the handset, giving customers an easy, convenient way to control their music and videos.

"People increasingly expect a rich, diverse experience with their phones because they're using them in new and different ways," said Travis Warren, director of product marketing, T-Mobile USA. "Adding the BlackBerry Curve 8520 to the T-Mobile line-up gives our customers a phone capable of helping bring balance to the chaotic demands of a busy professional and personal life."
    "More and more cell phone users are choosing to upgrade to a smartphone and the new BlackBerry Curve 8520 will undoubtedly convince many more people to make the switch. It delivers all the great messaging, social networking and multimedia features that have made BlackBerry the top-selling smartphone brand in the United States," said Carlo Chiarello, vice president, product management, Research In Motion. "T-Mobile customers are going to love how easy it is to keep in touch on Facebook and MySpace and the full-QWERTY keyboard is amazingly fast and comfortable for typing on the go."

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Thanks for the update Hayden. This device is looking a lot like the 8900, minus GPS and a slightly smaller display. I am a bit curious about the new trackpad function however. Should eliminate the need to clean the old trackball every month or so. All in all though, it seems more like a lateral launch for T-Mo since we're still waiting on a 3G BB (from T-Mo) and aside from the trackpad and media keys, it doesn't boast anything more then the 8900.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

skooby1doo no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    25DA73BC
    so hold up the 8520 doesnt have gps. And is this phone comeing to canada anytime soon like for rogers.

PIN/ID
    Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by skooby1doo View Post
    so hold up the 8520 doesnt have gps. And is this phone comeing to canada anytime soon like for rogers.
    Not according to the information on their site. It is a quad-band phone and if unlocked, should work on Rogers. It seems to be more geared toward the user who wants a mix of typical BB functionality and a bit more in the multimedia side, but in all honesty, the only multimedia function it features over the 8900 is the dedicated media keys. Side-by-side comparison here.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    How to upgrade your OS

monesto no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    245c5170
    Whst about the price? Is tmo making this reasonalble?
    BlackBerry8120/4.5.0.124 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    I wonder if I can get this. The trackball on my 8120 just died overnight.

kayhites717 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!!
    I'm wondering about the trackpad. It sure is small. How's that going to hold up in scrolling? Trackpads on laptops aren't big enough for me. And it also concerns me the fluidity the trackpad will provide. I have a piqued interest and definitely would like the opportunity to feel it out. Seems like there are so many curve uprgades available these days, and us anxious bold users are still waiting for the upgrade. Lucky t-mobile users. Be sure to write reviews on that trackpad. I'm really curious about that. Overall sounds like a great new upgrade option for the curve. Thanks Hayden.
    BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102

genodelick no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24774EF6
    When rim changed the jog dial in all their models, some people had a really hard time getting used tho the all-mighthy pearl, and now-a-days, they change, once again the "pointing" device...dont get it. Why they do this!!
    BlackBerry8310/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/121

hybrid1976 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    280C1909
    Unfortunately, the curve 8520 doesn't seem impressive enough for me to put down my 8900 yet. I'm always looking for a new bb but it doesn't seem like the new curve is going in that direction. Although it looks like an awesome phone, I can't lose the "upgrades" on my 8900. Maybe next time.
    BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.231 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100

PIN/ID
    Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by hybrid1976 View Post
    Unfortunately, the curve 8520 doesn't seem impressive enough for me to put down my 8900 yet. I'm always looking for a new bb but it doesn't seem like the new curve is going in that direction. Although it looks like an awesome phone, I can't lose the "upgrades" on my 8900. Maybe next time.
    Agreed. It is definitely looking like an entry level device for those trying to get into the BB world, but don't need all of the functionality. The biggest advantage to this is something I missed in my initial look at it is that it is the FIRST BB that will be totally Mac compatible, right out of the box. That is where I think they'll get the biggest sales for this device.
    How to upgrade your OS

jimmysantoyo no está en línea Stack level 1
    I say that the 8900 is still a big lead over the 8520

ventz no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    Speaking about no trackball and cleaning it, *how* do people clean the trackball -- on a phone line the 8900 where you can't really just pop it out?

cbeslash no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    26936cc9
    Quote Originally Posted by hybrid1976 View Post

I second that .

kayhites717 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!!
    Get u a box of those mini alcohol wipes, because alcohol is evaporative, it doesn't matter that the TB doesn't pop out, just scrub over it, will clean it wonderfully. Also, cheap babywipes work really well. Stay away from the babywipes that have shea butter or aloe, as they will leave a hgreasy residue on ur TB. But, your best bet, alcohol wipes. And disenfecting as well! I've had my Bold for quite some time now, and the TB is still as white as the day it came out of the box.
    BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102

ventz no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    I tried alcohol wipes on my previous blackberry (8320), but I feel like it cleaned it so well that it made it too smooth. This made it actually worse -- no grip.

Now on my 8900 I am running into the same problem. I increased the sensitivity from 70 to 80, but it's still taking me 3-4 swipes to go left and right in an email.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast