Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Originally Posted by EricaJ1073 I was just wondering about the 2 since it's been years ... BlackBerry News forum

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073 View Post
    I was just wondering about the 2 since it's been years since I used a full keyboard BB.
    I think you will really enjoy a full qwerty BlackBerry. Just try to avoid the 8820.

~via BoldBerry #6 (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Last edited by archer6; 01-09-2009 at 03:32 AM.

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    Archer, since TMO does have 3G (G1 is 3g) Why do you suppose Rim opted not to add 3G support on the 8900?

Quote Originally Posted by pdxmatts View Post
    Archer, since TMO does have 3G (G1 is 3g) Why do you suppose Rim opted not to add 3G support on the 8900?
    I believe that RIMs decision to not include 3G on the 8900 was to help differentiate it from the Bold. Since the Bold is theoretically their "flagship device" they decided it would be the only one in this generation to have 3G.

That said, I feel it was a very foolish decision. I believe that ALL new BlackBerrys should have 3G. Especially now that I've had it on the Bold & RIM has proven they did it right, as its very fast. 3G on the Bold is indeed much faster than EDGE. Where it's even more noticeable is after installing the Opera Mini Browser, as it's optimized for 3G and is truly lightning fast. It's very impressive.

The Bold truly sounds like the best BB device right now. Let's say I got an unlocked ATT Bold and ran it on TMO, would the 3G work? Just curious....

Also, if ATT get's the 89xx, will it have 3G support?

There have been questions that people are not sure if the TMO 8900 will have wifi. Can anyone confirm if it does or not? That would be a deal breaker for me, because if it does not have 3G, I would at least want it to have wifi.

The Bold truly sounds like the best BB device right now. Let's say I got an unlocked ATT Bold and ran it on TMO, would the 3G work? Just curious....
    Yes I do feel that without question the Bold _is_ the finest full qwerty BlackBerry.
    Unfortunately T-Mobiles 3G is a proprietary system that operates on 1700 MHz, a non-standard frequency. The Bold will not run on it.

All the rest of the world's 3G networks run on the same (higher) frequency. This is how AT&T is able to accurately call the Bold a World Phone, as it works on any 3G network outside of the USA. Also the AT&T 3G network provides the best voice clarity & allows incoming & outgoing data to continue to flow while on a call as one of the big advantages of 3G is it's ability to carry voice and data at the same time on a single line. While this is also true of T-Mobile as I have experienced on my G1, the voice clarity does not match that of the AT&T network.

So at this point one must have AT&T service to use a Bold.

Here is the _confirmed_ road map for the 89xx series.
    T-Mobile gets the 8900 first. It _will_ have GPS and WiFi. No 3G.
    AT&T gets the 8900 next. Same specs.
    A few months later the 89xx is released through AT&T _with_ 3G.

^^Thank you so much for the clarification I wonder why ATT would get the 8900 and then a few months later get another with 3G? Seems like they should just release the one with 3G and win over the TMO customers with the 3G factor.

Personally my suggestion if one wants an 89xx. I would wait for the 3G version on AT&T. Now that is the phone to have.
    Much like the 8310/8320 were a huge improvement over the 8300, we will see history repeat itself. As much as I like the Bold for myself, I am predicting the 3G 89xx to be an equal to the Bold. Then the only difference will be size and a slightly lesser keyboard on the Curve. So it will then be nothing more than personal preference as to which is the best for the buyer. A very exciting scenario.

^^Thank you so much for the clarification I wonder why ATT would get the 8900 and then a few months later get another with 3G? Seems like they should just release the one with 3G and win over the TMO customers with the 3G factor.
    For the same reason AT&T got the 8300, then a few months later the 8310.

That's very interesting.. I will have to see if my will can stand the wait or not. I am seriously thinking about switching to ATT when the time is right. I just think the Bold is to big for me. The 89XX sounds just right.

More thoughts...this is very exciting, as RIM will OWN the summer selling season with:
    1) A well debugged Storm
    2) Proven Bold
    3) 3G Curve
    WoooHooo....

It's just Amazing what Rim is producing. TMO needs to catch up with the times. I like TMO, (Good C/S and plans rates) but let's face it, they need to get onboard with the newest technology or be left in the dust.

That's very interesting.. I will have to see if my will can stand the wait or not. I am seriously thinking about switching to ATT when the time is right. I just think the Bold is to big for me. The 89XX sounds just right.
    I agree, I would highly endorse a plan of waiting, migrate to AT&T for a very well refined 3G Curve. The Bold is bigger than you want, no question...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast