Page 1 of 19 123456 ... LastLast

Great in depth info http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/dynam...C&kcId=KB14320 Ok I keep seeing this problem popping up, so here’s ... BlackBerry News forum

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Lightbulb How To: Stop Disappearing SMS/MMS/E-mail/Call Logs

Advertisement

Great in depth info
    http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/dynam...C&kcId=KB14320

Ok I keep seeing this problem popping up, so here’s an all in one Guide to Fixing Disappearing SMS/MMS/E-mail/Call Log and all your other things that seem to disappear.

Reason for it. You’re running out of Device Memory, therefore your pearl Dumps what it doesn’t need. Your messages

Try these steps. Not in any certain order.

Closing Open Applications
    ALT+Escape/Back Key
    Make sure you haven't left applications open.
    There should be 5 applications that are always open.
    Default 5: Phone, BBmessanger, Browers, Homescreen, and Call Log
    You may have other 3rd party applications that may have to run in the background, but most can be closed.

Auto Delete ON/OFF
    Under Messages:
    Select Menu/Blackberry Button
    Select Options
    Select General Options
    Keep Messages: (Shortest is 15 Days, Longest is Forever)

Battery Pull
    Pull out battery and leave out for 30 Seconds.
    (I do this at least once a week) Just for safety and memory leaks.

Check How much free memory you have
    Options -> Status -> File Free: XXXXXXXX Bytes
    Make sure it's not low.

Clear Event Log
    Press ALT + LGLG
    Menu/Blackberry Button
    Select Clear Log

Clear Browser Content Cache
    Open up your Browser
    Menu
    Options
    Cache Operations
    Clear Content Cache

Delete unwanted Applications to free up Device Memory
    By using your Desktop Manager, and Application Loader
    uncheck unwanted Applications also unused Language Packs

Update your OS
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...rade_your.html
    This is a link to a list of Blackberry OS by carrier.
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com/3311-blackberry_os_software_links_carrier.html
    Remember that OS's are not carrier specific, and you can use any OS from any carrier as long as it's for your model of phone. Do this at your own risk. If you have to return it at anytime you may void your warranty. You can always reload your carriers version, but that's a whole other process. IF you do use another carriers OS remember to delete the vendor.xml file located at C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\(your current OS) after installing the OS and before plugging in your BB.

*Most importantly if you have been storing Media on your phone without a Media Card. I would suggest getting one. Remember you only have 64mb of phone memory and the OS will take up about 20mb. So you're working with only 40mb of free space! That's nothing.
    BUY A MicroSD card!!! OS 1.103 supports 4GB now!! Hooray!!
    If you need help inserting it go here; http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...rosd_chip.html

I hope this helps everyone. If I'm missing any other tips let me know I'll edit it.

*another explaination

RIM has identified a design problem with the way that controls within the media application have been implemented. In the media options ("Media Application" > Pick an application such as Pictures > [BlackBerry Menu Key] > "Options") there are two settings:

“Reserved Pictures Memory” – Default Value = 10 MB – This setting reserves memory for Pictures that the customer may take. It blocks off the memory, reducing the “File Free” amount that displays in “Options” > “Status”. This guarantees that the customer will have memory available and will not overwrite email messages within the memory setting set.

“Device Memory Limit” – Default Value = 20 MB – This setting is a safety water mark. It prevents the customer from placing more than the specified amount of memory in their content store (pictures, ringtones, music, etc.. in device memory)

The implementation problem with these settings is that the “Reserved Pictures Memory” setting does not prevent the customer from going beyond the specified amount of memory. That is to say, if the customer has it set to the default value of 10MB, they are not prevented from taking 15MB of pictures for example. The only setting that will limit them is the “Device Memory Limit” setting.

The 20MB default value for this setting is a bit high as typically after loading the handheld software, the memory available is about 20MB. If the customer has a number of contacts, calendar entries, tasks, memopad items, emails, etc… they could have less than 20MB available. This means, with the default settings, the customer could fill their content store to the point that Low Memory Manager activates in an attempt to free up new space by deleting emails and call logs. If approached by a customer in this situation, please recommend that they reduce the “Device Memory Limit” setting to it’s lowest value of 12MB. It is recognized that even this value is high, and the values (including the defaults) are being adjusted in future releases of handheld software.

================================================== ========

Having a large amount of images, ringtones and or games stored in the device may reduce available free memory. If the BlackBerry Pearl's memory is at or near capacity the handheld will begin to delete the oldest Call Log and Text Message (SMS) entries in an effort to free up memory space. In order to prevent this, free memory must be increased.
    NOTE: Saved messages will not be deleted.
    Last edited by reddog187; 07-16-2008 at 03:14 PM. Reason: updated

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Re: How To: Stop Disappearing SMS/MMS/E-mail/Call Logs

Very nice Reddog! I know that this will help many many stackers.

PIN/ID
    STACK

Hey thanks, just hope it helps.

peterbabiy no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    23DE41AA

Thanks reddog, Im sure its gonna help some folks. now when they PM me, I'll just redirect them to your well written thread

BRockNYLA no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    240485e9

Thank you for this bit of info. My little mystery has been solved!

Krad no está en línea Stack level 3

I also went ahead and used javaloader.exe to remove un-needed cod's on my pearl. I got rid of the tmobile myfaves, all the default ringers, pictures. Just removing the media cod's frees up about 8 megs. I am running the latest TIM OS with anywhere from 38-43 megs free on my device. I also have the latest jive running 24-7. I will post a screenshot. if you are interested in removing these cods... download javaloader.exe and place it in your c: goto a command prompt and navigate to c: type javaloader -usb erase -f net_rim_bb_media_240x260_b.cod j avaloader -usb erase -f net_rim_bb_media_100_five_icon_library.cod javaloader -usb erase -f net_rim_tmo_five.cod javaloader -usb erase -f net_rim_bb_media_tunebundles_sonicnetworks.cod this works with any cod file that is on the blackberry.. you can look at all of them inside c:\program files\common files\research in motion\shared\tim os\java\ you can remove unwanted themes like the bbdimension icon theme as well. if you want to add these things back, or load other themes without changing the blackberry.alx. simply type javaloader.exe -usb load net_rim_bb_media_tunebundles_sonicnetworks.cod or javaloader.exe -usb load net_rim_theme_120_today_240x260_b.cod - this is vodafone today, my favorite theme.

PIN/ID
    STACK

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Awesome Krad! Good addition!

mikeperr1 no está en línea Stack level 1

what is the benefit (if any) to keeping the event log? It doesn't seem to have a useful purpose.

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

it is just that, a log...
    i think if you have your pearl on a BES, you might want it to be able to view any negative events logged.

Chapps no está en línea Stack level 1

Wish this had helped my disappearing SMS text functionality, but it didn't. I'm beginning to wonder if I inadvertently deleted any specific file necessary to SMS. I did delete an installation file for another program ... but I did it via desktop manager and maybe I deleted something else. Does anyone know what files are critical to SMS messaging?

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Quote Originally Posted by reddog187
    Ok I keep seeing this problem popping up, so here’s an all in one Guide to Fixing Disappearing SMS/MMS/E-mail/Call Log and all your other things that seem to disappear.

Reason for it. You’re running out of Device Memory, therefor your pearl Dumps what it doesn’t reed. Your messages

Try these steps. Not in any certain order.

Closing Open Applications
    ALT+Escape/Back Key
    Make sure you haven't left applications open.
    There should be 5 applications that are always open.
    Phone, BBmessanger,Browers,Homescreen, and Call Log
    You may have other 3rd party applications that may have to run in the background, but most can be closed.

Auto Delete ON/OFF
    Under Messages:
    Select Menu/Blackberry Button
    Select Options
    Select General Options
    Keep Messages: (Shortest is 15 Days, Longest is Forever)

Battery Pull
    Pull out battery and leave out for 30 Seconds.
    (I do this at least once a week) Just for safety and memory leaks.

Check How much free memory you have
    Options -> Status -> File Free: XXXXXXXX Bytes
    Make sure it's not low.

Clear Event Log
    Press ALT + LGLG
    Menu/Blackberry Button
    Select Clear Log

Delete unwanted Applications to free up Device Memory
    By using your Desktop Manager, and Application Loader
    uncheck unwanted Applications also unused Language Packs

Update your OS
    .64 from T-Mobile has known memory leaks
    .71 from Cingular is most current and seems less buggy

This is a link to a list of Blackberry OS by carrier.
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...s_carrier.html
    Remember that OS's are not carrier specific, and you can use any OS from any carrier as long as it's for your model of phone. Do this at your own risk. If you have to return it at anytime you may void your warranty. You can always reload your carriers version, but that's a whole other process. IF you do use another carriers OS remember to delete the vendor.xml file located at C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader after installing the OS and before plugging in your BB.

I hope this helps everyone. If I'm missing any other tips let me know I'll edit it.
    Thanks for the tips. I had this problem on my 7105T's. I wish I had done this back then.

I just deleted ALL foreign language packs and cleared the logs (ALT+LGLG). I upgraded to TIM Italy's 4.2.0.64 OS right after I got my replacement Pearl.
    Last edited by EricaJ1073; 04-07-2007 at 05:22 PM.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Quote Originally Posted by Chapps
    Wish this had helped my disappearing SMS text functionality, but it didn't. I'm beginning to wonder if I inadvertently deleted any specific file necessary to SMS. I did delete an installation file for another program ... but I did it via desktop manager and maybe I deleted something else. Does anyone know what files are critical to SMS messaging?
    Go to Options>Advanced Options>Host Routing Table and look for anything that says Messaging. I am not sure which one is for text (I have my Pearl connected to my PC deleting crap and can't look right now LOL).

Chapps no está en línea Stack level 1

Nope ... I go to Options>Advanced Options>Host Routing Table and all I get is the HRT Editor with a lot of Cingular [numbers] lines.

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

you should be looking under options/advanced options/service books

when you say sms, is the ability there to send mms? or neither?

StaceyRVC no está en línea Community pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Just so you guys know I made this a "Sticky"

Page 1 of 19 123456 ... LastLast