SPB TV is now available for the BlackBerry! This app has been around for the ... BlackBerry News forum

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!

SPB TV for BlackBerry Released

Advertisement

SPB TV is now available for the BlackBerry! This app has been around for the Windows Mobile platform for a while and released for Android not that long ago and now BlackBerry users can watch streaming TV. Several PinStack members including myself were involved in beta testing this app over the last few weeks and many issues have been addressed in that time.

The app is not free, a one time charge of $9.99. The channel selection is not typically channels you would recognize on cable other than news, but there is a variety of content including channels like NASA, C-Span, several news channels that stream weather, traffic, and breaking news. There are also music videos, comedy channels, and some channels devoted to old classic tv and movies. If you are into old westerns, sci-fi, and old tv classics like Kojak, Magnum P.I., and Marcus Welby then you will be entertained by this app. Also if you know of a free internet TV channel that you would like to watch, let their support team know the URL and they will see if they can add it. The app now shows in full screen, and most stations stream very well for me on my 8330 both on OS 4.5 and 5.0 but there are still occasional errors. I definitely suggest you use the free trial first and see how it runs on your device and see if the content interests you. They also have a 30 day money back guarantee if you decide later that it's just not for you.

There is a scrolling channel selector, you can also customize it by changing the channel order and removing channels you know you won't watch from the list. It should work on BlackBerry® smartphones with OS 4.3 and higher and hi-speed wireless network support (3G, Ev-Do, Wi-Fi)

Check out the SPB site for more details or to give the free trial a run.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

iamgoofy no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    210ca18d

crysti_reyes no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24B09C64
    I have PRIMETIME2GO for my BlackBerry 8900, this application is free . How would you say that this SPB TV compares?

primetime2go requires a paypal account to subscribe, and is $7.99 per month to view content, also it looks like you download the shows over wifi then watch. With spbtv you stream it live to you phone, wifi is not required. I am not a primetim2go user so I'm not sure of their content...I haven't really checked it out since I don't have a wifi BB.
    Twitter? My Apps List

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    Quote Originally Posted by crysti_reyes View Post
    I have PRIMETIME2GO for my BlackBerry 8900, this application is free . How would you say that this SPB TV compares?

I was looking into it and it says it's $7.99 per month. Is that right?
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

iamgoofy no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    210ca18d

Lightbulb

why would you say its free? its $7.99!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by crysti_reyes View Post

Quote Originally Posted by iamgoofy View Post
    why would you say its free? its $7.99!!!!!!!!
    Haha, the app is free, even listed that way on App World.....you just can't watch anything unless you pay &7.99 PER MONTH....most app world reviews on it are not positive at all...but some do love it.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Jbee no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3047D925
    Downloaded trial version...no channels that are free, will play. You have to purchase to watch the others. Has anyone else had any luck on the Storm? I'm not buying an app that will not work. TIA.
    BlackBerry9530/4.7.0.151 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105
    Last edited by Jbee; 10-08-2009 at 12:25 PM.

SeRViiCiiO no está en línea Stack level 5
    i was testing this app last night and while on Edge the quality can be a little choppy once on wifi it was working great.
    most channels are international, some from la, ny but no locals...
    Phone: T-Mo S4- Stock-Rooted

[Former]
    Device: T-Mobile S3
    Device: HTC Amaze 4G
    Device: HTC Vision (T-Mobile G2)
    Device: BlackBerry (9700, 8900,8320,8120,8100)

camshafter no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask
    downloaded on my8320..looks pretty good on wifi..i dont really watch much tv but still a cool feature for bb users. i was telling my friends (bb users) about it and they where amazed with it

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Downloaded the trial - you can't play anything using the trial unless I missed something. Not much of a trial IMO!

Bought the app and registered. It's got the weirdest channel selection I've seen in a while - lots of foreign channels and that's fine, I guess. There's a method to re-order the channel appearance to suit the user - I didn't have time to fool with it - but I'd like a way to delete (or hide) the channels I'll never watch. I haven't seen a way to do that.

Confess I've only "played" with it a little and have to move on for now. Other stuff taking priorities.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com