Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Originally Posted by Amigotek Did verizon disable the GPS without the use of thier VZNavigator ... BlackBerry News forum

alwaysbelieve1 no está en línea Stack level 5

Re: Set a GPS receiver to track your movement

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Amigotek View Post
    Did verizon disable the GPS without the use of thier VZNavigator service?

Zo

Don't know, but I do have the service on my account. I also have "Location On" selected in my GPS settings.
    Bob Garon II, Kettlebell Coach

Fitness Has Nothing To Do With Looking Good.
    BobGaronTraining.com

Follow Me At:
    Twitter
    Facebook

CashCrandle no está en línea Stack level 2

My GPS refuses to work with Alltel, I think maybe they have some agreement with telenav, so they cripled it, if there is anyway around this feel free to holla atcha boy. I hope this information helps, good luck.

Spoook no está en línea BES Pro

In Australia BB maps doesn't work. It doesn't seem like you can do this with Google Maps. Am I right in saying this? I can get directions and follow them with the GPS but can't seem to track my movements. Does anyone know of some way to do this without BBmaps?
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

armus no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    31833E7E

brand new 8130 with built in GPS. just went out side and walked around with my GPS tracking me. It's even close than by 8100 was using the hockey puck and seems more reliable - was always getting pairing problems and couldn't get signal issues even with it sitting on the car's dash. Unfortunately, BB Maps doesn't have location saving and turn directions. I'm refusing to pay TelNav - it's decent service but too expensive when I only use it maybe once a month.

J-Reyez no está en línea Stack level 1

where can these external gps things be purchased?

rob@NIW no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by armus View Post
    brand new 8130 with built in GPS. just went out side and walked around with my GPS tracking me. It's even close than by 8100 was using the hockey puck and seems more reliable - was always getting pairing problems and couldn't get signal issues even with it sitting on the car's dash. Unfortunately, BB Maps doesn't have location saving and turn directions. I'm refusing to pay TelNav - it's decent service but too expensive when I only use it maybe once a month.

Wait a minute. If you are not paying for TelNav, then how are you tracking yourself? Are you sure it is using GPS? How did you get it to work??
    have you seen the latest posts at www.NextInWireless.com ?

bonebox no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by rob@NIW View Post
    Wait a minute. If you are not paying for TelNav, then how are you tracking yourself? Are you sure it is using GPS? How did you get it to work??
    You do not need Telenav to enable GPS on your BlackBerry. If you look in this same forum you'll find many threads for various other free GPS applications for your BlackBerry, many that will allow you to "track yourself". If you're wanting a free full-fledged GPS solution such as TeleNav, the field is admittedly pretty narrow at the current time, but they ARE out there (Nav4All and amAze GPS).

It surprises me how many people think they must have Telenav and pay the $10/mo fee in order to enable GPS on their BlackBerry. I'm curious to where they're getting this misinformation. Sounds like one heck of a marketing ploy.. er, strategy.

funkym no está en línea Stack level 3

Right dudes. GPS is a free service.

Misinformed no está en línea Stack level 1

That rox.

rob@NIW no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by bonebox View Post
    You do not need Telenav to enable GPS on your BlackBerry. If you look in this same forum you'll find many threads for various other free GPS applications for your BlackBerry, many that will allow you to "track yourself". If you're wanting a free full-fledged GPS solution such as TeleNav, the field is admittedly pretty narrow at the current time, but they ARE out there (Nav4All and amAze GPS).

It surprises me how many people think they must have Telenav and pay the $10/mo fee in order to enable GPS on their BlackBerry. I'm curious to where they're getting this misinformation. Sounds like one heck of a marketing ploy.. er, strategy.
    Thanks bonebox.
    Yeah, I know TelNav is not necessary, and that there is a GPS receiver on-board. I would not even consider buying TelNav, not only because I shouldn't have to pay a monthly fee, but I don't want the bozo cartoon image of the road and "turn by turn" audio directions. I just want to see where I am on the map, like I can with my Garmin unit. (its just nicer not to have to carry Garmin)

I just want to use the GPS data with google maps, and I read about people finding solutions to do it with no problem on the Blackjack 2, so I figured there is a way.

After a google search, I found many people saying that Verizon had locked down access to the GPS data on the 8130, so I was looking for hack, rather than an app. Thanks for the good news, I will check those out...
    And, I'm still on clear if you guys are getting this to work on Sprint or Verizon...

did you check out the latest posts on NextInWireless.com ?
    have you seen the latest posts at www.NextInWireless.com ?

Quote Originally Posted by rob@NIW View Post
    Thanks bonebox.
    Yeah, I know TelNav is not necessary, and that there is a GPS receiver on-board. I would not even consider buying TelNav, not only because I shouldn't have to pay a monthly fee, but I don't want the bozo cartoon image of the road and "turn by turn" audio directions. I just want to see where I am on the map, like I can with my Garmin unit. (its just nicer not to have to carry Garmin)

I just want to use the GPS data with google maps, and I read about people finding solutions to do it with no problem on the Blackjack 2, so I figured there is a way.

After a google search, I found many people saying that Verizon had locked down access to the GPS data on the 8130, so I was looking for hack, rather than an app. Thanks for the good news, I will check those out...
    And, I'm still on clear if you guys are getting this to work on Sprint or Verizon...
    Well, I'm on AT&T so I can't speak for Sprint or Verizon, but I hadn't heard of those carriers locking GPS down on the BlackBerry. AT&T actually does try and lock it down to some degree from the OS level, but that's easy to bypass just by installing a non-AT&T OS on the phone. You might try doing that if you haven't already, you could be having a similar issue.

Upon further research, it does appear that Verizon is locking down the 8130 from a hardware level, so upgrading the OS probably wouldn't be of any use. Might be worth a shot anyway though. At least, I couldn't find any verification from anyone saying upgrading to a non-Verizon version of the BlackBerry OS didn't fix it. Unfortunately, the only other option seems to be buying an external GPS puck. I'm assuming the person above that said they got their 8130 working w/ the built-in GPS is using a different carrier than Verizon.

jmerlos no está en línea Stack level 1

That sucks if all the carriers started doing that, i have tmo and so far i haven't had any problems with it but so far they don't even try to push any sort of gps software onto their phones which is one of the big reasons i changed over to them i just went from the pearl 8100 to the blackberry 8800 its a big different in size but i am liking it so far, i had to buy the unlock code cuz thos perros,, (doggs) at at&t wouldn't give it to me since the phone is from at&t lmao it says cingular on it but so far i almost done with the removing of any at&t traces from it.

cddmh no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by hayden View Post
    • BlackBerry® 8800 Series
    • BlackBerry 8300 Series
    • BlackBerry Pearl™ 8100 smartphone
    • BlackBerry Device Software 4.2 and later

Procedure

If your BlackBerry smartphone has a built-in Global Positioning System (GPS) receiver, complete the following steps:
    1. On a map, press the Menu key.
    2. Click Options.
    3. Set the GPS Device field.
    4. Press the Menu key.
    5. Click Save.
    If you are using a GPS receiver enabled with Bluetooth® wireless technology to track your movement, complete the following steps:
    1. Pair your BlackBerry smartphone with the GPS receiver enabled with Bluetooth wireless technology.
    2. On a map, press the Menu key and select Start GPS.
    Note: To stop tracking your movement, press the Menu key and select Stop GPS.
    Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12