Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Different reports are coming in stating RIM will be officially be releasing their new "Webkit" ... BlackBerry News forum

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator

Rumor: New RIM Browser LATE 2010?

Advertisement

Different reports are coming in stating RIM will be officially be releasing their new "Webkit" browser by the end of 2010. This differs drastically from the previous report/rumor of mid July. The new browser will bring "iPhone-like" web surfing to the BlackBerry platform, supporting AJAX, CSS, and HTML. However, at this time there is no confirmation of flash.

The first thing this brings to mind is whether it may be too little too late. RIM is already DESPERATELY behind in a consumer driven market with both the OS and the browser. What else will Apple, Google, or even Microsoft bring to the table in another nine months. Another nine months where RIM falls even further behind.

Do you anticipate an earlier release? Do you feel RIM is simply fighting a battle they can't, or won't win?

Article by BlackberryOS

womby no está en línea Stack level 1
    help RIM get with the times!!

CommunistJiahui no está en línea Stack level 1
    *yawn*
    why didnt they just rebrand what ever torchfire browser was and push it out a week after they spent money buying the company?

Ekzt1nr no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask
    No confirmation for flash??!?!?! Then wuts the point of coming out!

planneau no está en línea Stack level 5
    Folks; that is why I dumped my berry. RIM isn't doing it for me anymore. One would think a major Corp like RIM
    would have had a full HTML web browsing at this day an age. Every other smartphone manufacture do instead of RIM.
    What a Joke.
    ..........SHAKE N BAKE..........

BestWitted no está en línea Stack level 7
    Interesting but for every solution there is a ying and a yang...on balance...my 8900 is still more than adequate for my daily activities...at it's core it is a great phone and oh...by the way...it does a few other things as well. Is there room for improvement? Sure! I'm not going to extoll the virtues of the BB over the iphone or android...but they exist and for the moment...I'm enjoying them.
    Last edited by BestWitted; 03-08-2010 at 10:17 AM.

Rizzleman716 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21C680E5
    I think what everyone thinks is becasue the iPhone has this and Android has that, means so does Blackberry. I mean hell yeah BB's need a lot of improvement. But me personally I can never say my blackberry hinders me from doing something that I need to do. This new browser should have been here long long ago.. but for the browser sits ok with me.
    T-Mobile Pearl 8100>T-Mobile Curve 8320>T-Mobile Curve 8900>T-Mobile Bold 8900

pkcable no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask via
    I suspect it will leak MUCH sooner than that, AND that they are trying to be realistic in their projections, remember the 5.0 fiasco? Some devices STILL don't have 5.0, MANY devices still don't have 5.0, unless you are willing to go the leak or hybrid route. So if they start projecting late 2010, but then make, July, or August looks, MUCH better than projecting July, and then hitting late Dec.
    Rich C.
    Twitter me @ http://twitter.com/pkcable

Reinstall Your OS on a Bricked BB Click here

SLVR6 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    G PONG!
    I sure hope the browser will start leaking earlier than the end of the year. Like others said though that certainly isn't a deal breaker for many of us. It will be nice to have it, but it is certainly gravy on top of a stable device that does what I need very well. It just depends what people are really buying the devices for.
    7105t -> 8320 -> Storm2 (returned, yuck!) -> 9700 - at&t - 5.0.0.536

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    I'm not sure what to think? I think RIM should tighten their belt and stop allowing premature leaks of anything BB related and work hard on making the very best product they can.

Release new models (Bold series, Curve series, Pearl series, Storm series) and make each one have the same generation OS and features with the Storm being the one exception b/c it's a Touch screen.

Stop with all the x.x models and x.x.x.x versions of the OS. Then make sure every carrier has the same version of the O.S.
    It's like chasing your tail trying to keep up with what RIM is doing and which version of OS is good or bad and why.

RIM needs discipline. That's it......... RIM needs a little old fashion discipline

smooth10 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    21CB9337
    Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post
    I'm not sure what to think? I think RIM should tighten their belt and stop allowing premature leaks of anything BB related and work hard on making the very best product they can.

Release new models (Bold series, Curve series, Pearl series, Storm series) and make each one have the same generation OS and features with the Storm being the one exception b/c it's a Touch screen.

Stop with all the x.x models and x.x.x.x versions of the OS. Then make sure every carrier has the same version of the O.S.
    It's like chasing your tail trying to keep up with what RIM is doing and which version of OS is good or bad and why.

RIM needs discipline. That's it......... RIM needs a little old fashion discipline
    Glad someone said it. Their marketing ploys have taken away from the quality IMO. Take some time and make a solid OS and make it 'universal' among the devices. I'm tired of constant updates and leaks. Not to mention that some updates have little to no significant changes

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    Sounds like RIM's trying to do more than just bring the woeful BlackBerry browser up to par with the competition -- Boy Genius Report says Waterloo's trying to leap way out in front by building in full Flash and Silverlight support. BGR says it'll be full Flash, not Flash Lite or the Open Screen Project's mobile Flash 10 implementation, but don't get too excited: it'll be next summer before RIM ships devices fast enough to handle it, and even then things may be delayed since they'll need HSPA or LTE data speeds to pull it off. Hey, maybe in the meantime all those engineers could maybe work on things like properly rendering a text page? Just an idea.

Source: Engadget

Marcellusfelix no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by BestWitted View Post
    Interesting but for every solution there is a ying and a yang...on balance...my 8900 is still more than adequate for my daily activities...at it's core it is a great phone and oh...by the way...it does a few other things as well. Is there room for improvement? Sure! I'm not going to extoll the virtues of the BB over the iphone or android...but they exist and for the moment...I'm enjoying them.
    -right! That's what I've been sayin to my driod friends, "calm down! My 8900 does that...but, your's is just prettier! Larger and touch screen!"

SVT Cobra no está en línea Stack level 5
    I know 1 more RIM customer they will lose before then. 95% of my complaint is the browser. How many more will they lose before then?

adam917 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Looks like I'll have a Nokia N900 by that time. I don't know if I want to wait all that time for just a new browser. I think I put enough time & energy into RIM's stuff over the last few years. I'll likely keep my 9700 at least for the UMA support which the N900 does not have. I'm getting tired of the sub-par experience.
    Last edited by adam917; 03-19-2010 at 09:01 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast