RIM is expanding its effort to redefine the Web browsing experience for BlackBerry users. In ... BlackBerry News forum

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

RIM develops a better BlackBerry browser

Advertisement

RIM is expanding its effort to redefine the Web browsing experience for BlackBerry users. In a recent job posting on LinkedIn, RIM asked for an expert C++ programmer who is firmly grounded in the open source Webkit browser engine.

The hire is for a “mid-senior level” Webkit developer who will have responsibility especially for “maintainability, scalability and reliability of the system.” The position apparently is fleshing out the program team RIM reeled in when it acquired Torch Mobile in August, creator of the Iris mobile browser, also based on Webkit. Iris is no longer download-able, an indication that the programming team has been refocusing entirely on creating a modern browser for the BlackBerry OS.

The acquisition marked how seriously RIM is taking the widening browser gulf between the BlackBerry smartphones and such rivals as the iPhone. The Safari browser, and the Palm Pre, with its Palm webOS browser, are both built on Webkit, as is Google Chrome and the Nokia browser for the S60 mobile phone operating system. Webkit was developed by Apple out of the code originally created by the KDE project, and released as open source in mid-2005

read more

dklimah no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ASK ME
    Oh, that gets me excited!!!! I can't wait!

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Hot dog! This is good news, I hope!
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    They should just beg Apple to let them use safari

They could call it the iBBrowser.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

sjkimberly no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    3120E59D
    so... where is it, already!Posted via smartphone

Give 'em a chance to hire somebody. At least it sounds like they're taking the right approach. (I'm eager too tho. )

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Sometimes I think they would almost be better off to promote Apps that give/deliver what we used to need from a Browser and forget about the BB Browser. I know that sounds odd but think about it for a minute. What things do you use the BB Browser for? Is there an App for it or could there be an App that would deliver a more robust user experience?

I may be ignoring the better features of the 3d-party browsers but I use the BB browser for all my internet browsing from my BB. I don't even have any of the other browsers on my BB any more. I might use one of the others, if I had a newer phone with more memory but there are a LOT of apps that I have given up just to get more free memory and a little better response time.

So....., I'm for a new, improved RIM browser that comes with the OS and I HOPE it'll be better rather than another albatross like BB App World.

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    I for one Do Not use the bb browser. I tried using that thing for a week when I first purchased my 7105 unlocked back in the day and never looked back since. The only time I use it is when Opera mini switches to it to download an ota link lol other than that I never even touch that disgusting outdated thing. Seriously, I even have it as a hidden icon on my phone and not to mention media net icons another waste lol. Those fools need to step it up a notch and stop releasing all these so called new bb's with the same old junk in them. It's like re-releasing an A track radio with glowing lights if you ask me
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    I wonder how long it will take, I may get an Android device and then maybe come back to BB later once their better browsing experience is available.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

Jaricanese no está en línea Software Pro
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    Quote Originally Posted by raton View Post
    They should just beg Apple to let them use safari
    They should use the Chromium project. Now that's a good webkit browser.