Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hope RIM does change the memory on new BB's. That has been one of the ... BlackBerry News forum

bmanley no está en línea Stack level 4

Advertisement

Hope RIM does change the memory on new BB's. That has been one of the bigest problems I think. MY 8310 is always low on memory and I don't have very much loaded on it. Have to keep up on deleting email's and text. Wish companies like AT&T would not force items on to them too. Would make it allot better if I could delete things like PTT and media center. I know there are ways but I just don't like messing with stuff like that.

bobcw no está en línea Stack level 2
    If they wanted to be "user friendly" about it, RIM could just make the mods in an OS upgrade and not force all of us to buy new hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by bobcw View Post
    If they wanted to be "user friendly" about it, RIM could just make the mods in an OS upgrade and not force all of us to buy new hardware.
    agreed 100% and im hopeful thats what we'll see in the near future

digitalb0y no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcw View Post
    This is my biggest thought as I read stuff like this. I don't mind smaller apps (I actually prefer quick, light apps to pretty, animated ones, and I'm not a mobile phone gamer), but even if apps or the OS can't be stored on removable media, why not texts and settings files?

If RIM's only answer to this is to finally release new hardware with bigger internal memory, they're gonna have a lot of severely pissed off Bold/Storm/8900 users who bought expensive devices and signed 2-year contracts right before the new hardware comes out and renders OS development for legacy devices a lower priority than supporting their newer line of fancy contenders.

If we can't have SD app support, I'd love to at least see some more work go into the OS that gives average users the option to not only store but actually RUN apps in the 1GB on-board device media the Bold packs, for example. I understand that security is their top priority with their high-profile contracts for the DoD and other government agencies, but the average consumer's data isn't so sensitive, and if the media supported can't be removable, it ought to at least be possible to take advantage of the extra on-board media space provided. OS in device memory, extra space for apps, removable media for, well... media. Anything less is a work-around, and while I love my new Bold compared to current alternatives, the phone market is changing fast and RIM's still got an uphill battle if they want to stay competitive.
    Last edited by digitalb0y; 02-26-2009 at 02:14 AM.

eazid no está en línea Stack level 4
    That was a nice article. Glad that it was posted.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

bobcw no está en línea Stack level 2
    Yes, it was very good article, and cherrichiodo needs to be commended for her effort. Thanks cherrichiodo.

I think it would be simple enough to offer the personal user a choice of storing apps on the sd or not, and at the same time give corporate IT security the choice of turning the feature off. I fully understand their plight of zealous users that think there is no harm in loading their own apps on devices, I deal with it everyday.

As we all know, BB's are the best out there. Do they need a little improvement? Sure. They are too powerful to be limited by a silly memory limitation.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Hello cherri
    All the opinions manifested are: Go Rim Go: More Os memory, access to SD card Memory etc. etc. and please RIM do not defraud us BB users...!
    My suggestion: wrap it up by taking these posts to the man (men) at RIM. He / they might not want to read this...so mail him, fax him, whatever let him (them) know !
    Once more, well done Cherri.

lbowers1966 no está en línea Stack level 1
    I really get the promblem with apps & memory.I have a lot of medical conditions so I got the bb to help w organizing appts,task ect. Basicly I carry it everwhere.It is always by my side in case I need to put a memo down so I don't 4get it. Also at appointments it gives me something to do while I wait. I live my life w my bb. I have already had to delete several apps to put on different ones & I'm not one that has money to waste or a memory to go back to find where I got the ones from that was deleted.If it is going to b a way of life 4 people to live through their smartphones then we need the amount of memory to do it. I got my bb to replace carring with me several devices. But not being able to use card to store some of my things I need I still have to use some of my old stuff.

Definitely a work around, and a limited one. When you delete an app it's data (if saved on the device, and most don't let you set where it saves application settings, etc.) goes with it, so just like with Aerize Card loader you can only use this method for apps that don't have data saved to your device memory unless you're willing to lose that data.

This is the most frustrating thing for me about using a Blackberry. My 8100 is my daily carry-around device. There are a number of apps I use that I have to have loaded on it, and the only way I could have them on there was to eliminate 'unnecessary' modules of the OS and not install Docs to go. I actually have Docs to Go installed on another one of my BB's and if I'm going to need it that day carry that around with me as well. In DM, the 8100 shows it's using about 33 Mb for OS and apps. On the deive, it shows about 27 Mb free on bootup, but that's not really useable space. If I go beyond mid 33 Mb for OS/apps loaded I can expect performance degradation (spinning hourglass/lags). There are some apps I would love to have handy, but just can't have on my main unit.[/QUOTE]

lbowers1966 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalb0y View Post
    This is my biggest thought as I read stuff like this. I don't mind smaller apps (I actually prefer quick, light apps to pretty, animated ones, and I'm not a mobile phone gamer), but even if apps or the OS can't be stored on removable media, why not texts and settings files?

If RIM's only answer to this is to finally release new hardware with bigger internal memory, they're gonna have a lot of severely pissed off Bold/Storm/8900 users who bought expensive devices and signed 2-year contracts right before the new hardware comes out and renders OS development for legacy devices a lower priority than supporting their newer line of fancy contenders.

If we can't have SD app support, I'd love to at least see some more work go into the OS that gives average users the option to not only store but actually RUN apps in the 1GB on-board device media the Bold packs, for example. I understand that security is their top priority with their high-profile contracts for the DoD and other government agencies, but the average consumer's data isn't so sensitive, and if the media supported can't be removable, it ought to at least be possible to take advantage of the extra on-board media space provided. OS in device memory, extra space for apps, removable media for, well... media. Anything less is a work-around, and while I love my new Bold compared to current alternatives, the phone market is changing fast and RIM's still got an uphill battle if they want to stay competitive.
    I think that is on the money. I know that I could free up a lot of my memory if I could just put my saved text messages & emails on memory card.these r the ones I save to keep from 4getting important info from someone,user names,passwords or to remind someone else something they say. Second to save info from notepad on card would also help with memory usage. None of these things would cause technical info to leak out from rim products.
    I would also like to hear from other user how they feel about the bb storm. I have the 8330 curve & have been thinking for sometime about changing to the storm mainly for the touch screen to type since I have lots of pain in hands & trying to find most comfort & ease of the bb phones. Any suggestions or should I just stay with the one I already have. Thanks in advance for any help on making a decision.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    lbowers:

I have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome due to the fact that I have been in a manual chair since the age of 3 as a result of a disability diagnosed at birth. I ended up with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, skin pressure problems and shoulder problems and had to go temporarily to a power chair which I still use for very long distances.

I used a friend's Storm recently and I had to press down on the screen really hard to get the screen to recognize what I had pressed. I suggest you try this out to see if it would help or hurt your wrists. It kinda hurt mine.

For me what really worked was switching from a full keyboard BB-I had a 7730 and that thing made CTS much worse-to the SureType series. I have used a 7100t, 7105t, 8100 and now the 8120. Out of the four I had, the one I had to get used to was the 8120 because it's keys are larger and cramped together. This is compared to the 8100 I had prior to it (smaller keys and space in between each key).

This scenario is kinda funny since I have large hands and fingers. It got so bad to the point that 3 or 4 days after I got my 8120 I wanted to send the thing back and get the 8820 but I stuck with it. I now type faster on the 8120 than any other BlackBerry I have ever had and I've had a lot of them LOL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12