Oh - now that makes more sense. After rumors got out that RIM was toiling ... BlackBerry News forum

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

RIM Buys out Torch Mobile, Blackberry going WebKit

Advertisement

Oh - now that makes more sense. After rumors got out that RIM was toiling away at Flash and Silverlight for the BlackBerry browser, we were a bit perplexed. That would imply a whole new browser was in the works, and RIM’s about as good at making browsers as I am at building card houses whilst myself and the cards are covered in butter. Turns out, they’re not the ones making it.

Torch Mobile, makers of the Iris browser for Windows Mobile, has just announced that they’ve been purchased by RIM for an undisclosed amount. They outright say that they will “now be focused on utilizing our WebKit-based mobile browser expertise to contribute to the ongoing enhancement of the BlackBerry® platform.”, so expect the BlackBerry browsing experience to get a whole lot less painful in the near future.

via BoyGenius:

jglee311 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ASKME
    This is great news!! Thanks for the post.

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    I've seen their Iris browser in action before and it's great. This could really be a boost for RIM if they get it off the ground and allow current devices to utilize it rather then just future models. A lot of users have lamented the BB browser for a long time and it will be nice to see something truly new from RIM.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

Thyth no está en línea Stack level 3
    Looks like this thing will be running in native firmware (where the media playback code is now). That's quite troubling, because any exploitable security vulnerability in the browser could compromise the device. There's no managed insulation at that level that would prevent vulnerabilities from causing problems like there is on the Java level (where the current 4th Pass rendering engine runs).

Cool... but, worrisome.
    Need an eScreen code? Try my generator: http://absolous.wavegap.com/projects/escreen/

lsu4lif3 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    i am thrilled at the thought of a better browser
    Never give up...you can always make a difference

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Every BB user will be interested to watch for what comes out of this merger. Exciting news potentially!
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

PIN/ID
    Ask
    Agreed JB, but I really hope they make it available to all users, rather then future devices.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    How to upgrade your OS

ealvnv no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    Is about time for RIM to come out with something new, hopefully the browser will be....
    BlackBerry9000/5.0.0.130 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by MStrawder View Post
    Agreed JB, but I really hope they make it available to all users, rather then future devices.
    Me too, MS. I have no plans to be a new device user for a while - I love my 8330, even though there are some exciting new BB's out and more coming.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

PIN/ID
    Ask
    Me either. My 8900 will probably last out it's 2 year contract unless RIM releases something truly awesome or T-Mo suddenly throws up their 3G/4G network in my area.
    How to upgrade your OS