I thought we needed some good RIM news today so this should cheer up everyone ... BlackBerry News forum

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

RIM beats expectations on strong BlackBerry sales

Advertisement

I thought we needed some good RIM news today so this should cheer up everyone after yesterdays concerns.

On the day that Research In Motion suffered another nationwide mobile e-mail outage, it announced it beat analyst expectations in the fiscal third quarter of 2009 with strong sales of its BlackBerry smartphones.

The company's earnings were up 59 percent compared to the same quarter a year ago. For the period that ended November 30, the company reported earnings of $628.4 million, or $1.10 per share, compared to $396.3 million, or 69 cents a share, for the fiscal third quarter last year.
    Analysts had expected the company to report earnings of $1.04 per share on revenue around $3.78 billion.
    The company said it shipped 10.1 million smartphones during the quarter. And it added about 4.4 million new subscribers. Analysts were expecting shipments of 9.5 million with 4.1 million new subscribers.
    Some industry watchers have wondered if the new Motorola Droid that uses Google's Android operating system would hurt BlackBerry sales. The Droid is one of two Android devices being sold for Verizon Wireless, and it is the closest competitor offered on Verizon's network to the Apple iPhone, which is sold exclusively in the U.S. for AT&T's wireless network

Full Article via:CNet
    Last edited by srl7741; 12-18-2009 at 01:16 PM.

nyydynasty no está en línea Stack level 3
    from what I heard now RIM is trying to get providers to offer cheaper BB plans, after the popularity of the new Droid on VZW.

yeah, we'll see if that works [/sarcasm]
    www.iamletired.com
    ...come one, come all....

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    Once the iPhone's exclusivity ends people from other carriers will finally get to enjoy it and Apple's stock will rise through the roof. Start investing (wink, wink...nudge, nudge)
    Last edited by raton; 12-18-2009 at 03:56 PM.
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

planneau no está en línea Stack level 5
    Yeah thanks to the 9700....
    ..........SHAKE N BAKE..........

planneau no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by raton View Post
    Once the iPhone's exclusivity ends people from other carriers will finally get to enjoy it and Apple's stock will raise through the roof. Start investing (wink, wink...nudge, nudge)
    I don't think that the Iphone wil be that big of a hit when it comes to VZ and Tmo. But I could be wrong.
    ..........SHAKE N BAKE..........

nyydynasty no está en línea Stack level 3
    it'll be a hit but i dont think it'll carry VZW and Tmo because of all the other smartphones that will be on the market at that point in time
    www.iamletired.com
    ...come one, come all....

JaidedFocus no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    262A279E
    Shows you can never count RIM out amongst all the competition. One thing I hope that comes from this is that they start putting more money into making stronger devices with better browsers and things people want more in a BlackBerry.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Quote Originally Posted by planneau View Post
    Yeah thanks to the 9700....
    I believe the mover was the 8520, according to the report posted by Bloomberg. The 9700 wasn't accounted for yet !

mobile99 no está en línea Stack level 3
    I hope they do something useful with the money, other than line their pockets and laugh at us.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Quote Originally Posted by mobile99 View Post
    I hope they do something useful with the money, other than line their pockets and laugh at us.
    That's exactly what they're doing right now !
    Capitalism...we're part of it !
    The crumbs may tickle down somehow !

Quote Originally Posted by delfim View Post
    That's exactly what they're doing right now !
    Capitalism...we're part of it !
    The crumbs may tickle down somehow !
    Kudos... well said!

In speaking with my local AT&T Store manager, his observation regarding the motivating factor, in the BB sales increase is the 50% off program they have. Bringing the price of the device down to a level that brings value to the customer. Seen by many, especially younger buyers as "old school devices" it was wise to slash the prices in order to clear them off the shelves. I'm sure as time goes by, that RIM will realize at some point that they do have very dated devices that are sorely lacking in fresh new features and benefits. RIM is a lot like General Motors, they just coast along without truly understanding what the public wants.