via businessweek.com : Like most online companies, PayPal has plans for the mobile market. The ... BlackBerry News forum

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

PayPal to expand mobile business after App World deal

Advertisement

via businessweek.com:

Like most online companies, PayPal has plans for the mobile market. The company just announced a new hook-up with Research In Motion that makes PayPal an option for buying apps for BlackBerry devices. And for the future, Stephenson says, they are also working on ways to make PayPal available on billions of lower-end phones that lack Net access—even phones owned by people who don't have credit cards or bank accounts.

(Instead they might get money into their PayPal via direct deposit from their employers or by buying pre-paid PayPal cards at a local shop).

PayPal will also announce plans to roll out technology that will make it easier for software developers to create new ways for consumers and businesses to use the payment platform, much as Apple has done with its iTunes online store. Millions of iPhone and iPod Touch owners use the same payments system to buy songs or buy more than 10,000 different programs from Apple's App Store. "A software developers' kit is being created" for release sometime this year, says Stephenson.
    [read more]

HeywoodJ no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    pm me

Thumbs down

LET ME TAKE THIS OPPORTUNITY TO ADVISE EVEY ONE HERE AT PIN STACK ON THE SCAM THAT IS PAY PAL!!!! THEY ARE NOT A BANK OR ANY RECOGNIZED FINANCIAL INSTITUTION PERIOD ! THEY ARE NOT FDIC INSURED ! AND THEY RIP THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE OFF EVERY YEAR!!!
    JUST GOOGLE UP PAY PAL FRAUD ,SCAMS AND LAW SUITS AND SEE FOR YOUR SELF . I REFUSE TO USE PAY PAL ANY MORE ON EBAY AS A SELLER DUE TO THE MANY HORROR STORIES I HAVE READ ON A SITE CALLED http:www.paypalsucks.com. i was burned too and it took a long time to get some money back and there is still some i never recovered. its some thing you all need to know prior to using said services . the only reason they even have a customer service number now is some thing to do with an electric fund transfer law to protect consumers.....
    there are posts on pin stack in regards to being screwed by pay pal and never recovering their monies. DO YOU WANT TO BE ONE OF THE TWO OR THREE PERCENT OF USERS SCREWED ? I WOULD THINK NOT.
    Last edited by HeywoodJ; 03-11-2009 at 10:09 AM.

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Heywood, interesting site. If pay pal is the only means for payment with the app store then I'm out. Already one of those few, wish I had known about that site before. Had a friend as well who was scammed, luckily he got his account unfrozen fairly fast (by comparison) thanks to documentation.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    wow guys. i have used paypal for years with no problem...i'm sure there are 2 to 3 percent of transactions that go bad,probably due to the person on the other end and not due to paypal...and no i didn't click paypalsucks.com...what else would you expect to hear on a site like that?
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

PIN/ID
    pm me
    yea the name kinda says it all ... dont it .
    If i only found that site prior to my screwing . ..
    I sold a blackberry to a guy in staten island new york,and pay pal screwed me . i did not have the cash to send it the day i promised, and could not wait till monday to deposit my check and cover the shipping and insurance to meet the promise i made ... well pay pal stuck it to me and i had to drive from hartford to white plains to meet this buyer . he was happy and left a glowing feed back ... i did not get my money for weeks.it was the same cost to me in fuel compared to shipping it but it was four hours round trip and then ebay thinks i am paying them the twenty five dollars in fees . they owe me a hunded for my time and the stress.
    so before you use pay pal read how you wave your rights as a consumer and how your bound to their terms if you want to use pay pal .
    just read about it and you will see. i post the link in every listing i post on ebay and i will run my bill up to a hundred dollars and screw them back . ebay owns pay pal. did you ever notice you have to use pay pal as an option when listing an item for sale on their site?
    are you aware pay pal charges four percent to sellers? just to move the cash from one account to another?
    its a total scam and why people have to overcharge on shipping to make up for the fees charged.
    if i tell ten people about ebay and pay pal and they tell ten people and so on maybe we can put an end to the screwing they dole out by taking our business away from them . there are alternative vendors offering the same service and they are cheaper and have a better reputation..

ps all that customer service does about your complaint is say their sorry for the inconvenience ..
    if i did not hear sorry every other word i am not a berry addict!
    we are sorry for ...... we are sorry for..... it makes me want to puke... ef ebay and pay pal!!
    Last edited by HeywoodJ; 03-11-2009 at 10:13 AM. Reason: content,spelling

PIN/ID
    ATA
    wow, sorry heywood that you had this issue. as a business owner, i have used paypal for years with NO issues. i've bought and sold on ebay, craigslist and use paypal for custom theme invoicing. i agree their fees are high, but that's how they make their money. charging you for moving your funds and being able to accept payment electronically.

i don't think that paypal will be the ONLY source of payment for app world, but take into consideration that there are people out there that do not have bank accounts or credit cards and this is the only way that they can purchase items/apps/etc on the web.

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by cherrichiodo View Post

i don't think that paypal will be the ONLY source of payment for app world, but take into consideration that there are people out there that do not have bank accounts or credit cards and this is the only way that they can purchase items/apps/etc on the web.
    RIM has stated,"To download BlackBerry App World, a PayPal account is required"
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    Quote Originally Posted by catstide View Post
    RIM has stated,"To download BlackBerry App World, a PayPal account is required"

That stinks!!! I don't have a PAYPAL bc i have heard similar stories. App store may be out of luck for me!
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Going to have to avoid app store then. My gf and were just talking about this. Her account was hacked and she lost $400. Eventually was able to get it back, but even losing the money for 2 months was a hardship.

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    and again . . .
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

frisco49ers no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2840D481
    I have always had good luck with paypal! I will continue to use it.

PIN/ID
    pm me
    I just have a personal interest in letting people know when they are getting screwed or the possibility exists.
    I said its a small percentage, but its still and issue.
    out of the first few posters, three problems were mentioned with pay pal . does that not say some thing there?
    I said the same as you did above "i have used pay pay with out issues too, for many transactions" when others were warning me and refused to deal with them .
    when it happens to you and your product is gone, you fronted the shipping too ,we will see how you feel. ( it was one of my beloved berries too )
    I will not do any more sales with pay pal and I may even refuse to make future purchases via pay pal .
    when it does happen ,and it will eventually, dont say you were not told . All it will take is some one stating the charge to a credit card was not authorized by them or any of the miles of fine print in the terms of service and forget it . ( read those terms )
    I had the person leave feedback on MY laptop on the spot ...five minutes after delivery , he left a feed back I felt was to nice for me. considering I did not ship it when I said I would and offered a full refund..
    it was touching .
    I drive home and go to transfer it to my checking account, and nope we are sorry . after the funds ARE released, they botch the transfer and I get a notice of failure (not in pay pal not in checking account ) told I had to wait even longer (wheres my money ?)
    why did I wait weeks for the cash ? because the longer they hold my money the more interest they collect. (greed you know i cant stand greed)
    there are plenty of processing companies not charging four percent for a credit card transaction let alone moving a number from one in house account to another, and they post in three days or less..
    thats why I have a bad taste in my mouth.along with many others .

you know me I don't tear into some one for no reason .I have high moral standards . do unto others and so on, hell even if they done wrong unto me ...
    you know I speak my mind if its needing said .
    Hey that stove is hot watch your self .. that's all I said
    some people need to find out them selves I guess
    wish I would have listened .
    wish I never listed the items.
    its over and I am wiser for the experience.
    And we are here to share our experience with others... are we not?
    I did get little personal earlier.. and I apologize I should have kept it to my self.
    but that's what I felt like sharing , just like this

lsu4lif3 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    nice
    Never give up...you can always make a difference

PIN/ID
    ATA
    Quote Originally Posted by jfcooley View Post
    Going to have to avoid app store then. My gf and were just talking about this. Her account was hacked and she lost $400. Eventually was able to get it back, but even losing the money for 2 months was a hardship.
    i actually had the same thing happen to me about 6 years ago. but the way it went down was that my hotmail account was hacked first, then requests went out to all my financial accting sites for passwords. next they logged into my paypal account (which is connected to my bank account) and proceeded to drain all the cash i had in my bank account. granted it was less than 1k (slush fund account for me), but it was 2 weeks prior to christmas and i was stuck...needless to say, paypal turned everything over to wells fargo who in turn told me that it would be "two weeks" to investigate first. i called my local police dept to make a report on the identity theft bc i was terrified that other information may have been compromised. haven't had an issue since and i use paypal more now than ever (tho i have a small business account now).

the moral of this story is that you cannot be too careful. there are too many smart criminal minds out there that you should always be on the defensive...

PIN/ID
    ATA
    more info i found tonight

betanews.com:

Since PayPal is not a bank, its security and policies have frequently come into question, and hundreds of user complaints can be found with scant effort.
    "Merchants finding themselves on the wrong end of a frozen PayPal account will still have to find some way to pay their obligations and fill orders for the weeks and months while the account is restricted. A domino effect occurs when a merchant's account is frozen, leaving them with No Means To Fill Orders. Those orders are then disputed by customers, creating more chargebacks and the illusion of fraudulent activity on the part of the merchant. "Welcome to the PayPal Nightmare." The Best Solution?: Get a Real Merchant Account." --Paypalwarning.org