I read this on The Boy Genius site today, a report that I find very ... BlackBerry News forum

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Orange may pull Bold...forever

Advertisement

I read this on The Boy Genius site today, a report that I find very disturbing, and yet one that does not surprise me. Here is an excerpt:

Back in October, Orange halted sales of the Bold due to a high incidence of dropped calls, crashes and poor overall performance. After a more stable OS release from RIM however, sales of the Bold resumed. If Orange were to pull the Bold for the second time it would most likely remain sidelined for the duration of its market life which would deal a huge blow to RIM. To compound matters, this move would give a great deal of additional publicity to the woes of RIM’s latest flagship products, the Bold and the Storm. For the time being Orange has declined to comment on the matter, as was the company’s position before the Bold was pulled last year.

Full Article

Telegraph UK
    Last edited by cherrichiodo; 01-02-2009 at 05:14 PM.

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    Well, that's not good...

I saw the same article on Boy Genius but really hadn't had a chance to process the implications of such a move by Orange.

RIM really needs to get their act together.
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by mjwood0 View Post
    Well, that's not good...

I saw the same article on Boy Genius but really hadn't had a chance to process the implications of such a move by Orange.

RIM really needs to get their act together.
    As someone who is a true BlackBerry advocate, I'm very disturbed to see this type of thing.

As a business man, I fully understand the consequences of such an article alone, even if not perfectly accurate, or specific. The bottom line is news articles like this set the tone in buyers minds. They are very influential and exactly what RIM does _not_ need at this juncture. With the well publicized issues surrounding the Storm, to have the Bold be thrown in the same category of "questionable devices" is a terrible thing.

Then to make matters worse, RIM like many other companies will sit back, and not respond. They've made no effort thus far to do damage control and that in and of itself is a questionable choice.

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    Gotta say -- I agree again.

The best thing RIM could do right now is to go public, admit that they have a few issues (though none that are seriously impacting the usability of the device) and show the public that they will actively fix the problems. Instead, they remain very silent regarding their updates, fixes or anything else.

There are enough manufacturers out there making giant strides forward -- think of HTC here. G1, Fuze, Tilt, etc... RIM needs to step up, admit they are having problems and refocus on basics -- proper word wrap in browsers, 3G to EDGE switchover issues, etc... Show everyone that they are serious about providing world class communication devices.
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

WhitePearlPXL no está en línea Stack level 4
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Hopefully this will stop them from releasing trash.. Or like most of you have stated, maybe they'll just sit and watch their company burn to the ground.

OzzieDog no está en línea Stack level 3
    Maybe RIM is hoping it will all go away by itself. Or with all the updates coming out they may hope that each individual will find the right one to work on his/her Bold. I've gone between .210 and .217 still no where near as good as Curve OS. Could the Bold have been launched way ahead of its time? Mass production with not enough quality control. My two cents.