Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Hey everyone, been reading the thread to get some help for upgrading the OS and ... BlackBerry News forum

jhickie no está en línea Stack level 2

Advertisement

Hey everyone, been reading the thread to get some help for upgrading the OS and it has been really helpful. Just upgraded last night. Lost Facebook and MySpace (just reinstalled them) and had to reset my BES, but overall it was smooth! Thank you to Cowboy for the help!

I have a few questions as I am pretty new to the BB world. I upgraded to v4.5 for Sprint.

1. I see all this talk of .113, .119, etc. All I can see in my system properties is that I am running 4.5.0, but that is the only upgrade Sprint had. Are there newer upgrades for other vendors and if not is there any way I can find out which one I have?

2. Regarding MMS, I don't understand it too well. I see the option when I compose and I understand it is Multimedia Message Service, does that mean I can text with pics or video? Does the receiver have to have MMS to see the multimedia?

3. I don't understand the HTML email. I thought I was supposed to see emails like on Outlook for example, with embedded links and pics showing up like on the web. My emails still have those long HTML links like before, sure doesn't look different. Am I doing something wrong?

4. I am guessing Docs To Go is not a seperate app? I don't see it anywhere. How do I use it?

5. When I reset my BB, I get a pop up message upon boot that says, "Would you like to use Sprint Navigation Address Book Plugin to act as a server?" WTF? Seemed wierd so I selected no, but is there any way I can get that to stop poping up? Does anyone know what that means?

Sorry for all the questions but I know you guys are the experts! Thank you so much for the continued help!

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    The HTML still isnt' TRUE HTML. Dont know what that's all about. Yes they have to have MMS. Open DM and make sure the Docs To Go box is checked and reload. Just say yes, no clue what that means.
    Color---it's nothing but a hue of the rainbow...why do people place such importance in it?

MotoUp no está en línea BES Pro
    What do you mean it's not "true" HTML email? Can you clarify?

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jhickie View Post
    Hey everyone, been reading the thread to get some help for upgrading the OS and it has been really helpful. Just upgraded last night. Lost Facebook and MySpace (just reinstalled them) and had to reset my BES, but overall it was smooth! Thank you to Cowboy for the help!

I have a few questions as I am pretty new to the BB world. I upgraded to v4.5 for Sprint.

1. I see all this talk of .113, .119, etc. All I can see in my system properties is that I am running 4.5.0, but that is the only upgrade Sprint had. Are there newer upgrades for other vendors and if not is there any way I can find out which one I have?

2. Regarding MMS, I don't understand it too well. I see the option when I compose and I understand it is Multimedia Message Service, does that mean I can text with pics or video? Does the receiver have to have MMS to see the multimedia?

3. I don't understand the HTML email. I thought I was supposed to see emails like on Outlook for example, with embedded links and pics showing up like on the web. My emails still have those long HTML links like before, sure doesn't look different. Am I doing something wrong?

4. I am guessing Docs To Go is not a seperate app? I don't see it anywhere. How do I use it?

5. When I reset my BB, I get a pop up message upon boot that says, "Would you like to use Sprint Navigation Address Book Plugin to act as a server?" WTF? Seemed wierd so I selected no, but is there any way I can get that to stop poping up? Does anyone know what that means?

Sorry for all the questions but I know you guys are the experts! Thank you so much for the continued help!
    1. To determine your OS, go to Options>About and the version is the 3rd line down.
    2. Yes, MMS allows you to send pics/video along with text and the person receiving needs to have the same or similar mechanism in order to receive those messages.
    3. When you open a messages folder, press the BB menu button (to the left of the trackball) and scroll down to Options. Press that and go to Email Options. Make sure all your HTML prompts are enabled and you've got it set to automatically download images. Keep in mind, though that externally linked images will still require you to manually retrieve them. This means that when you are in a message, you need to press the BB menu button and select Get Images. Externally linked images open a sort of security hole, which means you need to manually request them.
    4. Docs2Go is not automatically installed when you upgrade to 4.5. As ItsNowOrNever suggests, you'll need to connect your device to the PC, launch Desktop Manager, go into Application Loader>Add / Remove Applications. Once the OS loads up on the screen, scroll down and check the box for Documents To Go, press Next and DM should install the app for you.
    5. I'm sorry but I cannot assist you with this question. Someone with Sprint service will have to help you with this issue.

Hope this helps!

Thanks again for all the help, and thanks for the clarifications RoGro!

Just two final things in your post I didn't quite get...

I don't seem to have the email option you speak of. When I go to messages, then options, this is what I see...

General Options
    Email Settings
    Email Filters
    Email Reconcilliation
    Spell Check

I don't see anything about HTML prompts in any of these option menus. Am I looking in the wrong place? I would really like to figure this out as HTML email was the main reason I upgraded.

Also, regarding DocsToGo, I followed your instructions and installed it, but when I go to use it there is no Excel-compatible app, just word and ppt? Seems wierd because the DocsToGo logo clearly shows the little green box with the little blue and orange boxes, which makes me think Excel should be part of it? Confused.

Thanks again for the help, sorry I am so relentless with the questions. I just want this to work right! THANKS EVERYONE!

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Go into email settings and there should be the option to enable HTML. For docs to go open it and hit the menu key. Select check for updates and you should be set. Also on the html you might need to resend service books.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Sorry, yes it is Email Settings as Cowboy said. When you go in there you'll see the options to enable HTML. And thanks again to Cowboy for clarifying the Docs2Go issue as well!

Hey guys thanks again, one more issue resolved! Upgraded DocsToGo and got my excel.

About the email though, still can't seem to find HTML settings. When I open the email settings, I see a menu with four things. "Send email to handheld", "save copy in sent folder", "use auto signature", and "use out of office reply". I am not sure where this option is hiding! I appreciate all of your help and I know I'm being a pain about this but I really want HTML email lol!

Thanks again guys!

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Goto you messege folder and hit menu/options/email settings there you should see Message servies: your default email
    Enable HTML Email Yes
    Downloaded Images Automatically Yes
    confirm delivery no
    confirm read no
    send read receipt no

Hope this helps. I just think maybe you are looking in the wrong spot.

Maybe I didn't get the email upgrade or something when I went to v4.5, because we are definitely looking at two different things.

When I go to messages/options/email settings, this is exactly what I see...

Message Services Desktop
    Send Email to Handheld Yes
    Save Copy in Sent Folder No
    Use Auto Signature No
    Use Out of Office Reply No

I am not seeing the menu options you describe. What could be wrong? Did I somehow not get the option for HTML email in the upgrade?

One great thing about the v4.5 upgrade though, I can finally use the new PinStack app! Very cool!

Thanks again for helping me figure this out!

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Are you BES or BIS?

Hey Cowboy,

I use BES for work, not sure what BIS is though?

The email I have registered with Blackberry is my Gmail address, while I use my work email as my default (desktop?) email. I have the seperate icon on my desktop for personal email (Gmail) and my BES email shows up in the standard messages folder.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Might be something to do with BES. Might have to get a BES pro to take a look at the thread.

Thanks Cowboy. I will make a new post about just the HTML email and see if anyone knows if it has to be configured with BES.

I really appreciate all of your help, thanks again!

philfna no está en línea BES Pro
    I don't think BES has the update yet for HTML mail. You'd have to get the service books from BES with HTML support. I'll have to see if our BES has an option for HTML yet, but I don't think it is out yet. You can get HMTL and MMS just by having Sprint send you the new service books for your. 4.5.XXX release.

Phil

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast