Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 30313233343536 LastLast

Originally Posted by jblackfish We never know Jeff - it's fairly unpredictable IMO. They may ... BlackBerry News forum

JeffNNJ no está en línea Stack level 3

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    We never know Jeff - it's fairly unpredictable IMO. They may abandon 4.6 altogether for example and start developing 5.0. It's hard to tell.
    Hmmm, when it's Facebook compatible, I'll gladly go for it

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    It appears that 4.6.0.231 is the most recent STABLE OS. I'm done with 5.0 for a while. Anyone got a link handy for .231?
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

javatyger no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    U5W15H
    I'd suggest the Rogers build of .250. Works fine and stable.
    BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.250 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/107

Quote Originally Posted by javatyger View Post
    I'd suggest the Rogers build of .250. Works fine and stable.
    I saw something about excessive battery drain using .250 - anything to that?
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

javatyger no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    U5W15H
    Nah. Mine has been fine. Its been on all day with some apps running and I'm still at 85%

Thanks, Java. I'm gonna give it a try.

vinmontRD no está en línea Stack level 3
    I've been using 250 on my 8900 since it became available as a leaked beta -- except for the few days I ran 5.0.0.100, and the week that I ran 5.0.0.130 -- both of which I had to give up on. 4.6.1.250 has been remarkably stable for me; battery good overall, and no noticeable memory leak.

I like the features in 5.x.x.x, but the releases are still too buggy. Falling back to 4.6.1.250 is a bit deflating in terms of losing features, but it has been quite solid. Also -- since figuring out how to optimize my router config at home, my WiFi / UMA connection has been superb, allowing me to make multiple lengthy phone calls with no noise, no disconnects, etc. 250 really seems like a solid release so far.

wrxboi no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    R.I.P
    .231 is stable.....
    WRXBOI
    wrxboi69@googlewave.com

JeffNNJ no está en línea Stack level 3
    My .231 likes to reset itself every couple of days.

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Been running .231 since it hit and have had 0 problems with it so far. It has been an extremely stable OS for me.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

SeRViiCiiO no está en línea Stack level 5
    ive been running .250 and to me its pretty stable, no random resets, and battery life is pretty decent- most of time i dont charge my phone for a whole day and it still got enough juice
    Phone: T-Mo S4- Stock-Rooted

[Former]
    Device: T-Mobile S3
    Device: HTC Amaze 4G
    Device: HTC Vision (T-Mobile G2)
    Device: BlackBerry (9700, 8900,8320,8120,8100)

cbarry317 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Blackfish, did you choose .231 or .250 and how have your results been since then? Battery life and stability etc?

Quote Originally Posted by cbarry317 View Post
    Blackfish, did you choose .231 or .250 and how have your results been since then? Battery life and stability etc?
    cbarry, I tried both 231 and 250. I don't remember having battery life problem and I LOVED the extra memory but both releases gave me enough trouble that I went back to 4.6.1.199 and continued to use that until I decided to sell the 8900 while I could get a good price.

It was my spare line, no data plan, etc., and I've decided to go back to the 8120 for my spare - all I care about is having wi-fi so that I can take advantage of that and have the spare phone line. Hope that helps.

cbarry317 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Thanks blackfish. Ive been debating on either going from .231 to .250...or trying a hybrid, or to the newest 5.0 leak....im just so torn. I dont want anything too buggy....i just really wish one of you advanced users would be able to give me some more solid opinions....thanks again

vinmontRD no está en línea Stack level 3
    @cbarry -

I tried 4.6.1.250 (which was very stable -- excellent WiFi and good battery life), and also 5.0.0.100. 130 and .190. I found 100 and 130 unusable -- too many serious bugs. 190 was still somewhat buggy, but solid enough to make me willing to hang in there with it till something newer came along.

I've been running 238 now since it was released (leaked) for the 8900. It's fast, and a couple of bugs have been addressed, although it's still not ready for release yet by any means.

Vlingo, which didn't work on 190, now DOES work on 238, and seems to work well based on my limited testing.

RIM's built in voice dialing (VAD) was excellent under 4.6.1.250 (and earlier releases). It was workable, but inconsistent under 190, to the point where I stopped using it. Unfortunately, with neither VAD or Vlingo working under 190, I had no voice dialing capability at all with that release.

Now with 238, RIM's built in VAD doesn't work at ALL -- doesn't even respond when I click the icon or press the assigned convenience key. Nada. Nothing. BUT, since Vlingo works, I have an alternative now while 238 is loaded.

Although BBM5 doesn't work on this release, BBM 4.7 is included, and is actually very good. Just missing some of the new bells & whistles that come with BBM5.

Pretty much everything else I've tried seems to work under 238. Docs to Go works, all the new IM clients work, BeeJive IM works, built in browser and Bolt work... also tried and seemingly working are:
    - google maps
    - google mobile app -- except that you have to switch to PAGE VIEW to scroll down your results
    - Viigo -- except that you must switch to PAGE VIEW to scroll down any individual article
    - FileScout
    - Poynt
    - Blackberry App World
    - Mobihand App Store
    - BTSideKick (and it even updated itself to 1.0.3 for me, with my permission of course)
    - Yelp
    - CitySearch
    - DexKnows
    - edocrab
    - WeatherBug Elite
    - BerryWeather
    - MaraTick
    - FIOS TV Remote DVR (I loaded the version for the Tour -- works fine on the 8900)
    - Pacman

I just noticed that App World now leaves visible icons in the download folder for each archived app. You can click the icon, and it prompts you asking if you want the app restored. Interesting -- doesn't need App World running to do this. I'm hiding these icons...

Overall -- it feels good and seem to work well. I AM noticing that my battery is lower right now than it normally is after 11 hours of use. I don't know if it's due to all the experimentation I'm doing or not. I will try to put the 8900 through "normal use" tomorrow and see how the battery holds up then. I suspect battery drainage is a bit faster than normal under release 238.