Page 13 of 36 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718 ... LastLast

As much as I LOVE upgrading to newer OSes, regadless of official or beta, I ... BlackBerry News forum

alwaysbelieve1 no está en línea Stack level 5

Advertisement

As much as I LOVE upgrading to newer OSes, regadless of official or beta, I HATE having to load all my apps back on and set all my settings(options) everytime.

1. Is there a way to make it so that I don't have to reset all my options whenever I upgrade without negatively effecting the new OS?

2. Is there a way to have all my apps put on when I upgrade as well? Most of them are all OTA so is there a way to save them through a backup somehow and then reload them without effecting the new OS?

Thanks
    Bob Garon II, Kettlebell Coach

Fitness Has Nothing To Do With Looking Good.
    BobGaronTraining.com

Follow Me At:
    Twitter
    Facebook

cj3_69 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204BE657
    Quote Originally Posted by alwaysbelieve1 View Post
    As much as I LOVE upgrading to newer OSes, regadless of official or beta, I HATE having to load all my apps back on and set all my settings(options) everytime.

1. Is there a way to make it so that I don't have to reset all my options whenever I upgrade without negatively effecting the new OS?

2. Is there a way to have all my apps put on when I upgrade as well? Most of them are all OTA so is there a way to save them through a backup somehow and then reload them without effecting the new OS?

Thanks
    yea you load it up it backs them up automatically... if you have it selected!

javatyger no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    U5W15H
    I hate reloading all my apps and stuff too, but it's a wonderful thing of reloading your OS. All my apps are automatically installed though: it backs ups my 3rd party apps every time and then re-installs them. I just have to go into each of them and put in all my settings over and over... annoying.

I just upgraded to .174 - I'll see how my battery lasts me, as on .168 my battery was usually dead by the end of the day. So I'll report back tonite!
    My Smartphone History - 7130e -> 8130 Pearl -> 8330 Curve -> iPhone 3G -> Javelin(Curve 8900)

Where do I go to select to have it reload them all cause I thought I did do that. Also how do I have it auto reset all my personalized phone options.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

HeavyComponent no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    TP2 :D
    I never have to do anything but sign in for the apps that needs to be signed in. I backup everything and do a full restore so I don't have to do my settings over. So the only thing I do after loading an OS is just sign in for certain apps. All my apps are not whipped out when I load my OS so I'm always good to go right away.

--HeavyC.

lovin2act no está en línea Stack level 4
    So I am kinda new to the in's and out's of this (my second OS update), but when I downloaded this OS, there was no vender file to delete, and no loader file to run my update on. I just used my DM (4.7 I know that's bad and 4.6 is better, but its been fine for me so far) and disconnected my internet and had it find the OS on my PC. From there it worked like a champ. Anyone ever had any of these happen? When I did .168 I had to do the vender file delete and ran the update though a loader file that was included in the OS download. Maybe I am not as stupid as I thought I was here cause I dunno how I figured out how to get .178 when everything was against what most tutorials show!
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, some1 said 2 thmslvs "U knw, I really want 2 set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close engh to get the job done".

I thought by doing a restore ur putting back some of the software that was changed or improved in the updated software. Correct me if I'm wrong plz.

PIN/ID
    Alwaysbelieve1,

No, I don't think that is true because that's how I've been doing it since Feb. Of 08 with my 8320.

--HeavyC.
    Last edited by HeavyComponent; 03-09-2009 at 04:53 PM.

Ok thx Heavy.

Also when you update do you ALWAYS wipe the device first? I have been in the habit of doing that for years now and I guess that's why my apps don't load back on because they are wiped from the phone.

So do you wipe or no? ...and I am meaning the phone not something else... LOL! I hope you do both.

Ok so if you wipe the device then the backup that you restore after upgrading will load the device with the prior apps?

BobGaronTraining.com

Follow Me At:
    Twitter
    Facebook

PIN/ID
    Alwaysbelieve1,

Ok this is what I do...

1. I do a full backup using DM
    2. Wipe the phone by going to the option > security options > general settings > menu button....wipe! (Do not check the box) If you do then that's wipping the 3rd part apps.
    3. Load OS
    4. After OS is fully loaded I go to restore on DM and load the entire backup that I saved.

Before you even do the restore you will see all your apps that you had before. When you do the restore all your settings and everything else is back to what it was before loading the OS. You just have to sign in on apps that require you to do so.

So yes I do a wipe first, but not a full wipe to wipe my apps.

Last edited by HeavyComponent; 03-09-2009 at 04:57 PM.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    always,

Many people prefer to do a wipe of the old OS using jl_cmndr (if you're interested in learning more about that, there's a thread in the Technical Support link in my signature) which completely wipes the device of the data, applications and operating system. The wipe Heavy is talking about is completely different.....just deletes data and applications, but leaves the OS intact. No offense, Heavy, but I think your steps 2 and 4 are unnecessary because the whole upgrade process pretty much does the same thing all in one fell swoop! Does the backup, wipes the device, loads up the new OS and then does the restore of your data and apps.

PIN/ID
    Quote Originally Posted by RoGro View Post
    always,

Many people prefer to do a wipe of the old OS using jl_cmndr (if you're interested in learning more about that, there's a thread in the Technical Support link in my signature) which completely wipes the device of the data, applications and operating system. The wipe Heavy is talking about is completely different.....just deletes data and applications, but leaves the OS intact. No offense, Heavy, but I think your steps 2 and 4 are unnecessary because the whole upgrade process pretty much does the same thing all in one fell swoop! Does the backup, wipes the device, loads up the new OS and then does the restore of your data and apps.
    That's cool, but I never let the OS do a backup when I'm upgrading because I had a error once or twice when the OS tried to load the backup. So I do all that by myself so I don't have to worry about anything.

--HeavyC.

Until today I always wiped with JL_Cmdr. Today I loaded the OS, deleted the vendor, backed up my phone, ran the upgrade thru DM and had it restore afterward and it seemed to go fine.

So by doing it the way I just said I did does a wipe of all device data at the same time thru DM and the only way it has previous device settings and apps onboard after the upgrade is due to the prior backup? Is that accurate?

Thanks guys.

BobGaronTraining.com

Follow Me At:
    Twitter
    Facebook

javatyger no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    U5W15H
    I never wipe mine. I always just backup just in case, run the update, and then that's it. Nothing fancy. Never have a problem.