Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

OK so those process IDs, any way we can find out what they mean, and ... BlackBerry News forum

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!

Advertisement

OK so those process IDs, any way we can find out what they mean, and is there a way to show how much RAM each app is using? WOuld be helpful to know which apps cause load on the system
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

Homeuser66 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    208D9C8E
    I'm interested.....T-Mobile 8320-curve ver. 4.5.0.81

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    I like this app a lot so far. If you guys can come up with a way to kill processes that will be awesome. I like the Battery meter and the system info also. I have to agree with azstar it would be really cool to see how much RAM each program is using.

MWPatterson no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Plz
    looks good, will need to play with it more to put it through some tests.

trickie636 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    20E1809D
    I would to try it also and have a 9000!!! Let me know!

Blackberryfreek no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask
    Ani are you still needing more testers?
    If so I'd like to test. 8900 with OS 5.0.0.314

Thanks

ani
    ani no está en línea Stack level 3

Arrow JVM Garbage Collection on BlackBerry and background processes

Quote Originally Posted by azstar View Post
    I find some things on the app to be confusing. Like I see very slight changes in the numbers on the processes tab, but huge fluctuations on the System Info tab that do not seem to coincide.
    The numbers on process tab are Process ID. I think since there was no label so few users thought its the RAM used hence the confusion. Process ID will not change frequently, unless a process stops and is restarted again (with a different id).

Shouldn't total RAM always be the same? Sometimes it says 10,000kb other times it says 16,000kb
    My bad! Its actually Used RAM. And below that you have Free RAM. The text label is wrong, will correct it.

Free ram changes from over 6,000kb free to 900kb free and then back up again even with no change in the processes to reflect a substantial loss.
    A process need not really be killed for Free RAM to change. The way JVM works is this - each application and associated process creates objects in RAM for its use. Processes may create objects anytime - on screen loading, on some network or timer event, on user inputs, in background etc. This causes the free RAM to go down.

The automatic Garbage Collection in JVM checks from time to time, which of these objects are no longer needed and cleans them up, and thus the Free RAM goes up.

As you can see, both creation of objects in memory, and subsequent deletion by Garbage Collector keeps the free ram fluctuating. Of course, when a process is killed, then all associated objects in the memory are GCed and that will also free up more RAM.

Also I do not see where the processes shows BBM even when I have active convos.
    More on this later..

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by ani View Post
    The numbers on process tab are Process ID. I think since there was no label so few users thought its the RAM used hence the confusion. Process ID will not change frequently, unless a process stops and is restarted again (with a different id).
    Gotcha, see this then:

OK so those process IDs, any way we can find out what they mean, and is there a way to show how much RAM each app is using? WOuld be helpful to know which apps cause load on the system
    My bad! Its actually Used RAM. And below that you have Free RAM. The text label is wrong, will correct it.
    OK, that makes more sense

A process need not really be killed for Free RAM to change. The way JVM works is this - each application and associated process creates objects in RAM for its use. Processes may create objects anytime - on screen loading, on some network or timer event, on user inputs, in background etc. This causes the free RAM to go down.

The automatic Garbage Collection in JVM checks from time to time, which of these objects are no longer needed and cleans them up, and thus the Free RAM goes up.

As you can see, both creation of objects in memory, and subsequent deletion by Garbage Collector keeps the free ram fluctuating. Of course, when a process is killed, then all associated objects in the memory are GCed and that will also free up more RAM.
    again highlighting why my request above would be freakin awesome if it could be implemented!

More on this later..
    OK, I will be waiting an finding more stuff
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

ani

Arrow New release of TaskManager v1.4

Dear All,
    We have a new release of TaskManager. Please install it from www.getempower.com or OTA at www.getempower.com/ota

The new version implements corrections in RAM calculation and a detailed screen for each running application.

Thanks,
    Ani.

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    Awesome! device rebooting. I just installed it.

Ani,

Is there any way possible for the performance graph (battery graph) instead of showing on the left side its performance by 10's to show instead the time in which the battery decreases/increases or charging/dying? I suppose. Do you think this could be possible? I think it would be a great if one were to know exactly how the lifespan of a battery at full usage or maybe just by texting/calling or even for testing the performance of the device running media operations. Just a thought. Thanks for the update
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Thanks for the update. Installed and looking good. I also would like to see a little more detail in the battery meter if at all possible.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Nice little app, Ani.....I concur with the suggestions above, including if at all possible, being able to "kill" a process through the application. Easier said than done, I'm sure.

ani
    Quote Originally Posted by moderncowboy View Post
    Thanks for the update. Installed and looking good. I also would like to see a little more detail in the battery meter if at all possible.
    Feel free to suggest ideas.. Battery level is shown in the graph.. Battery temperature is shown in the System Info tab.. do we want to show something else in the graph?

Thanks,
    Ani.

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    Hi Ani,

I was suggesting if you guys could add a timeframe to it if possible. Something that would indicate how a user abuses his/her battery on a daily basis perhaps a 24hr mark. Just so one can track the lifespan of a battery at full charge and how long it takes for it to drain and why would it drain so much. One can then confirm whether it was because of an application running constantly or media or web browsing etc... Hope that makes sense
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

ani
    Quote Originally Posted by raton View Post
    Hi Ani,

I was suggesting if you guys could add a timeframe to it if possible. Something that would indicate how a user abuses his/her battery on a daily basis perhaps a 24hr mark. Just so one can track the lifespan of a battery at full charge and how long it takes for it to drain and why would it drain so much. One can then confirm whether it was because of an application running constantly or media or web browsing etc... Hope that makes sense
    Nice..

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast