via CIO In February, Lenovo announced a new product called Constant Connect , that lets ... BlackBerry News forum

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!

Lenovo Constant Connect for BlackBerry

Advertisement

via CIO

In February, Lenovo announced a new product called Constant Connect, that lets IBM ThinkPad laptop users with BlackBerry smartphones employ a Bluetooth-enabled ExpressCard to synchronize corporate e-mail between their notebooks and smartphones--even if those computers are powered off. Today, the company informed me that Constant Connect is now available for purchase.

The idea behind Constant Connect is to make it simpler and more effective for road warriors to manage corporate e-mail while on the go. It's also meant to reduce the need to pay for expensive airport or hotel Wi-Fi, since it enables users to receive, compose and send corporate mail via laptop using only your BlackBerry's wireless connection.
    The 54mm Constant Connect ExpressCard, which features a built-in Bluetooth radio--with a range of about 30 feet--and 500MB of storage, sells for $150. The card will work with any Intel Montevina based ThinkPad and BlackBerry running RIM OS v4.2 or higher.

[click here to read more and view a video demo]

Jaricanese no está en línea Software Pro
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    Kinda like tethering made easy? lol

Dwaine12 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Good Try
    That's wicked cool,but Y?? whats the point of Push Email then....Duh!

PIN/ID
    ASK
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwaine12 View Post
    That's wicked cool,but Y?? whats the point of Push Email then....Duh!
    Hmm I didn't think of that very good point lol.

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    I see this as being someone who is on the road constantly and not only needs the push email but also needs the ability to access large attachments on a regular basis (a sales technician in the field when updates come out about the product he is responsible for).

Zo

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    I think it uses the benefit of push email on the bb to sync with outlook on the laptop which would then enable the user to open them on their laptop even when no wifi available and use the laptop to edit and view documents.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

PIN/ID
    ASK
    Quote Originally Posted by Amigotek View Post
    I see this as being someone who is on the road constantly and not only needs the push email but also needs the ability to access large attachments on a regular basis (a sales technician in the field when updates come out about the product he is responsible for).

Zo
    Large attachments wouldn't be a good reason i think because it will download at the same speed that it would normally download on the BlackBerry.

The only good reason I would see, for large attachments as well as in general, is using a device with a larger screen size.

Dwaine12 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Good Try
    Quote Originally Posted by Amigotek View Post

Zo

Now if this is the case, then its a really cool thing to do, but then again the way they're make Smartphones nowadays, would you really want this, I'm an IT guy, and sometimes i very mobile, and i surely don't want to carry a laptop and a blackberry if my Berry can do the same thing as my laptop...you know...!

ventz no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    I can see a great use for this, especially given the amount of emails I receive, and have to respond to.

I always hit an email every few minutes that just requires a rather large amount of text for the reply, and i go to my laptop. For a data center guy (or girl ), or contractor, this would be perfect.

Essentially, they found a way to create "problem free/no thinking" tethering.

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    Thanks azstar I just finished reading this article

Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaricanese View Post
    Large attachments wouldn't be a good reason i think because it will download at the same speed that it would normally download on the BlackBerry.

The only good reason I would see, for large attachments as well as in general, is using a device with a larger screen size.

Download speed wouldn't be the issue. Download size is. The BB would be limited in the size of the attachment it could download, the laptop would not.

As for not carrying around a laptop and a BB, the laptop could be used in a sales presentation or even for live demonstration of a product where the BB may not be a device that can handle what the presenter needs it to do. I personally would agree that carrying both devices is cumbersome but I know some people that have had to because of their jobs. Having the capability of tethering with their BB device has saved them on more than one occasion.

Zo