Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Hey ModernCowboy, got a question for you since you seem like a very knowledgable guy ... BlackBerry News forum

jhickie no está en línea Stack level 2

question about upgrading

Advertisement

Hey ModernCowboy, got a question for you since you seem like a very knowledgable guy regarding upgrading. I have a 8330 from Sprint, and I want to upgrade to the newly released 4.5. I have never done this before and I was hoping for some advice. I read the rest of the post but I am still a little confused. I have already done a backup using DM 4.6

1. Will the upgrade delete installed apps and/or saved files?

2. Will anything else be affected like the address book or bookmarks?

3. Is the browser new or the same?

4. I use BES for work and I have Gmail set up as my mail acct, will I need to have both emails reset?

I have downloaded the software upgrade from the BB site, I am guessing it installed through DM? Sorry for all the questions, I am just very worried that I will do something wrong. They should make it simpler for us newer BB peeps.

Thanks for the help!!!

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by jhickie View Post
    Hey ModernCowboy, got a question for you since you seem like a very knowledgable guy regarding upgrading. I have a 8330 from Sprint, and I want to upgrade to the newly released 4.5. I have never done this before and I was hoping for some advice. I read the rest of the post but I am still a little confused. I have already done a backup using DM 4.6

1. Will the upgrade delete installed apps and/or saved files? When running the uprade process all apps and saved files will be saved and restored. Some apps may need to be redownloaded but thats not very common.

2. Will anything else be affected like the address book or bookmarks? Again all of this should be restored in the back up process. Make sure you backup your device before you start just to be safe and if it doesn't back up automaticly you can do it after the upgrade.

3. Is the browser new or the same? It is basiclly the same. To me it is a little faster and smoother but besides that not a lot different.

4. I use BES for work and I have Gmail set up as my mail acct, will I need to have both emails reset? I don't know enough about BES to give you an honest answer on this maybe one of our BES pro's could jump in and help with this one.

I have downloaded the software upgrade from the BB site, I am guessing it installed through DM? Sorry for all the questions, I am just very worried that I will do something wrong. They should make it simpler for us newer BB peeps.

Thanks for the help!!!
    I have tried to answer you questions above. It is a very simple process and you should be ok.

Are you trying to upgrade to the latest Sprint version or are you trying to get it from another carrier?

jhickie no está en línea Stack level 2
    I appreciate the help cowboy! I am actually upgrading with the official Sprint 4.5 upgrade. I saw before that you can basically download any carrier's upgrade and use it for any phone as long as you delete the vendor file. I wanted to wait and do it the legit way in case I messed up my phone.. I heard that you can void the warranty that way? Anyway, Sprint finally joined the party and released the damn upgrade, so I thought what the hell! I've been waiting so long for it that it seemed like everyone who wasn't with Sprint had it! When my dog showed me HTML emails on his BB, I knew it was time to take the plunge lol.

One last question... is there a walkthrough or instructions anywhere on how to do the upgrade? I know that I have to download the upgrade software (done) and use DM to upgrade, but beyond that I am clueless!

Thanks again Cowboy!

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Actually if it is an Official upgrade it is easiest to go here and use the web updater. It will use your PIN to find the newest software fo your device.

If you want to do it hands on then you can go here to learn how.

If you have any questions you can always ask and if I am not on to help someone else will jump right in.

emkwan no está en línea Stack level 2
    thanks for the info guys!
    Win a FREE..yes FREE Blackberry Bold:
    visit my blog:
    http://emkwan.wordpress.com
    or
    http://www.youtube.com/emkwan
    Best of Luck!

FreekinSweet no está en línea Stack level 1
    Thany berry much
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

FreekinSweet no está en línea Stack level 1
    Thank you berry much
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

pat-wallace no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    30436da6
    i updated and it works...but i have no idea what the differences are... haven't really noticed any differences

glighto11 no está en línea Stack level 1

No upgrade required?

I'm currently running .119, I saw on BB that sprint had a .188. I downloaded it and it showed available for upgrade on desktop. After all the selections it did a search on the device that no upgrade was necessary and my device still shows .119.

My assumption is that all the sub-programs I have installed in .119 are the same as .188 and therefore won't upgrade. Anyone else have a different conclusion?

tantricsunflowr no está en línea Stack level 2
    Question...I am running 4.5.0.127 on a Curve 8330 from Alltel. According to the latest OS date list, this version is not listed. ??? Anyone have an explanation?
    tantricsunflowr

PIN:

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID

4.5.0.138 for 8330

Didn't see this link anywhere in here, so here it is.

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...mzVybELEF-6U3w**

OK, dont know why it's kililng the link. Lets try this HERE

or HERE
    Some are reporting that it's messing with the radio network....but we'll see. 131 stinks for me. I get the hourglass constantly!
    Last edited by ItsNowOrNever; 04-20-2009 at 11:10 PM.
    Color---it's nothing but a hue of the rainbow...why do people place such importance in it?

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Thanks, OP updated
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

suyup no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Thanks for the info Lavagirl. I have been looking for the link for Sprint bb update for my friend. It is really helpful thread.

Thanks again.

kjlo5 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Is anybody running 4.5.0.138 yet? I just loaded it 2 days ago and everything is working great for me. I am wondering if anybody has come across any bugs with .138 that I haven't run into yet?

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    kjlo5,
    I haven't tried it yet - still on .127. I'd upgrade if anyone could point out a good reason to do it. What release did you come from? Please post any new good OR bad features you discover in here.

UPDATE: Nevermind - forgot .138's for the 8330m, whatever that is.
    Last edited by jblackfish; 04-22-2009 at 09:30 AM.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast