Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213

Thanks, Wheelz. I went ahead and upgraded to 5.0.0.438. Frankly, it's not any better on ... BlackBerry News forum

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!

Advertisement

Thanks, Wheelz. I went ahead and upgraded to 5.0.0.438. Frankly, it's not any better on the memory (still have fairly severe leak) that my previous 4.5. I decided to do it since I had moved to BBM 5.0 a long time ago thinking that I might be more "in sync" with myself -

As a result of that upgrade I lost the use of a couple of my favorite themes and I'm now using one of the OS issued themes (BB Dimension L) - it's like old times. I have many of the apps you have although not quite as many - can't hold em.

I'm not going back to a previous OS - too much trouble. My next move may be to upgrade to something newer than the 8330 that's starting to creak from the strain.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

I wonder if anyone else has had this happen? I have a few times - probably only a few because I don't take that many pics:

I'm taking pictures (this time of the surprise snow storm in LR) and at about the 5th one I press the trackball (shutter button) and my BB reboots.

8330, 5.0.0.438.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

wheelz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ask4pin
    Wow ok I'm looking to upgrade the 8330 to something like the storm 2. Probably around june or so. I haven't heard anything like your track ball issue

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    I wonder if anyone else has had this happen? I have a few times - probably only a few because I don't take that many pics:

I'm taking pictures (this time of the surprise snow storm in LR) and at about the 5th one I press the trackball (shutter button) and my BB reboots.

8330, 5.0.0.438.
    John, How was your memory and such? Did it just get to cold? This one is interesting. Never had it happen on my 8330!

Cowboy, My memory was OK and it wasn't that cold. I had just stepped out on my deck - I probably wasn't out there more than 2 minutes. Also my pix go straight to my memory card so that should be OK. Idk.
    Last edited by jblackfish; 02-09-2010 at 08:36 AM.

onetenstar no está en línea Stack level 1
    What the F is the reason the curve 8330 doesn't have 5.0 os from sprint surely we are not obsolete

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by onetenstar View Post
    What the F is the reason the curve 8330 doesn't have 5.0 os from sprint surely we are not obsolete
    I couldn't find a Sprint 5.0 update, but there is one from Boost Mobile OS 5.0.0.438 for the BlackBerry Curve 8330 from Boost Mobile The 8330 is lucky to have received the 5.0 update. Only the newer generation BB's are on the list for 5.0.. This is the newest list that Rim put out of what devices will get it.

• BlackBerry® Curve™ 8350i smartphone
    • BlackBerry® Curve™ 8520 smartphone
    • BlackBerry® Curve™ 8900 smartphone
    • BlackBerry® Tour™ 9630 smartphone
    • BlackBerry® Bold™ 9000 smartphone
    • BlackBerry® Storm™ 9500 smartphone
    • BlackBerry® Storm™ 9530 smartphone

*edit* I believe with the older generation BB's that the 5.0 OS would take up to much memory
    Last edited by pdxmatts; 02-19-2010 at 08:38 AM.

cb4studabaker no está en línea Stack level 3
    I got a question if I upgrade to os 5.0 from boost then would I have to delete my vendor file from sprint or could I just put the os without deleting the vendor file from sprint

Quote Originally Posted by cb4studabaker View Post
    I got a question if I upgrade to os 5.0 from boost then would I have to delete my vendor file from sprint or could I just put the os without deleting the vendor file from sprint
    CB, you if you upgrade from a carrier other than your own you should delete the vendor file. I do it regardless of where I get the OS. Also if you upgrade to .438 as I did on my 8330, be prepared for severe free memory losses - that's been my experience and I haven't gone back simply because I DO like a few of the features of 5.0 and I'm too lazy to down-grade.

cb4studabaker no está en línea Stack level 3
    Oright tnx you n on my 4.5 it had memory loss to n I got a app called kisses n it showed wat was draining my memory n I got rid of tat app n now my phone is with no memory drop maybe you can get it n it'll show you wats the memory hog

I have kisses but I already know (knew) what's running in BG on my 8330. I just haven't figured out which one of them is the culprit. I guess I need to spend some time figuring it out. Thanks.
    UPDATE: I was all set to do some testing so I stopped or deleted every optional app that I had on my BB. With ONLY the 5.0.0.438 OS and the "normal" Blackberry apps running I've lost 5mb of free memory in an about an hour. That's about the normal loss that I've been experiencing. I have to assume that it's the OS.

I'm not looking into it any more. I'll either upgrade the OS or, if nothing pops up before I get sick(er) of it, I'll downgrade the OS or change phones. Whatever....
    Last edited by jblackfish; 02-20-2010 at 07:44 PM.

OK everyone. I said I wasn't going to downgrade because it was too much trouble. I'm a liar. I downgraded about a week ago from 5.0 to 4.5.0.160. I couldn't deal with the constant leaking and low memory and mulitple daily reboots to un-hang my phone! I couldn't do the simplest internet browse with getting completely hung.

So here I am, back on 4.5 with a constant 30+mb of free memory and a functioning phone again. I'm happy for now. My next move will probably be a phone change. What that change is isn't known to me at this point. It's probably not far off though...and, sadly, it may not be a Blackberry.
    Last edited by jblackfish; 04-19-2010 at 08:46 AM. Reason: add comment to end.

wheelz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ask4pin
    Jb I don't blame you one bit. My 8330 did the same thing. I couldn't deal with it. Hey good luck in looking for a new device (so many choices)

stonewall72 no está en línea Themes Pro

Thumbs up OS 5 8330 Success

If anyone want to give it a shot I have had great sucess with the OS 5 hybrid by Nathanix (v438.6.0.1) on my VZW 8330. I had tried the Boost OS5 and a few other variants but had the typical hangups, memory leaks and slowness. I was a little hesitant about using a hybrid but took the leap. The install is pretty straight forward. I would suggest reading throught this install Read Me and reviewing comments on the forum. Basically u install the Boost OS 5 to your PC. Delete the install folder and replace with the hybrid folder. Use Shrink OS to tweak your install. (they have inluded many of the popular programs in the OS directory) and then use BBSAK to wipe and install the OS. Took about an hour total.

I have had this installed for 10 days. My memory stays between 27mb-34mb. I have one theme, Google Maps, BING (GPS maps works) and Buzz Off installed. I do not have BB Maps installed - reported that BB MAPS GPS does not work on OS5 with Verizon. I have not confirmed wit this build but it did not work with Boost OS 5 installed a few months ago. So far no issues. If you have any questions or need some assistance with the install hit me up!

http://www.nathanix.com/hybrids.php

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213