Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thanks, Cowboy. I tried a selective restore - that didn't work. I got tired of ... BlackBerry News forum

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!

Advertisement

Thanks, Cowboy. I tried a selective restore - that didn't work. I got tired of it all yesterday because I was upgrading my 8900 at the same time. I finally just walked away yesterday.

This morning I'm gonna try to restore from the backup and see what that gets me. Then I'll try to load the complete package again.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

I finally wiped BB using JL Commander, installed the OS (.160) and got it up, still without the BB browser. I re-registered and re-sent service books and got the Browser back. Then the restore of my aps/data from the backup only worked about 1/3 on the aps side so I spent all the rest of yesterday reinstalling/registering aps. I'm almost back to normal except I lost my favorite theme and the free version of Vlingo. I don't care enough about voice searches and emails to pay for the application but I may change my mind on that too.

On the plus side (and Cowboy, this is one of the main reasons I upgraded) the GPS works on BB Maps! Amazing! After starting it up with BB Maps for a short while I started Google Maps and it worked on that too.

I tested it on our 2 mile walk, me with the dog leash in one hand and the BB in the other. The one thing I'll say is that Google Maps only worked part of the time. It would work and then for no apparent reason revert to the triangulation. I didn't see a reason for it. We were out in the (hot) open the whole time and BB Maps seemed to work consistently.

Anyway, after being the upgrade from hell - I NEVER had even close to this much trouble with an upgrade - I have to say that this one appears to be success. I didn't expect the trouble either after all the rest of you seemed to have a very smooth time of it.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

dino422 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    31C0588F
    I just noticed you were in Little Rock. Never knew that. I'm in Vilonia. Hello neighbor..lol

Dino

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Good to hear, jb. I have the same experience with BBmaps and Google. BBmaps seems to work as it should and Google maps just when it feels like it. All in all I feel the upgrade was worth it and hopefully on the next release if there ever is on it will fix the rest of the bugs.

Were you able to do the update from the webupdater? I know azstar was having issue with it and finally had to use Telus to get .160 so I was just wondering what route you took.

Quote Originally Posted by moderncowboy View Post
    ....................Were you able to do the update from the webupdater? I know azstar was having issue with it and finally had to use Telus to get .160 so I was just wondering what route you took.
    I used Telus - I had a little trouble finding it and by the time I found it, I didn't care where it came from. A number of the original links were no longer any good.

Quote Originally Posted by dino422 View Post
    I just noticed you were in Little Rock. Never knew that. I'm in Vilonia. Hello neighbor..lol

Dino
    Hello, Dino in Vilonia. That's close enough to be neighbors.

UPDATE: Your profile says you're in Yuma, AZ.

RIVERINE no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    3146A554
    I HAVE SPRINT 0S 4.5 I THINK I GOT IT FROM BB WEBSITE

msgdawkins no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    30E861A5
    What changes if any did you see in the VZW upgrade,
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

pipesfamily no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    ask
    I have verizon and my bb maps don't work as well as google maps and I am still running 4.5.0.77, google maps with come within 4300 meters of where I am at but I can just scroll over bout an inch I am looking at my house, bb maps is a bit closer but only gives me street detail and when I go down the road I am driving through peoples houses according to bb maps

pipes, I don't know if this will help but if you want to give it a try you could upgrade to 4.5.0.160. I and a few other 8330 users did it and found that their GPS worked with BB Maps after the upgrade.

In most cases, after you execute BB Maps and get the GPS working, then it will work with Google Maps but not too consistently. Hope that info helps.

stonewall72 no está en línea Themes Pro
    Does anyone have any info on whether or not any specific version does a better job with reception. I jist switched from alltel pearl to verizon 8330. My reception is not as good with verizon at home. Think I am in a fringe area and need just a bit more reception for stable voice calls. Thanks!!!

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall72 View Post
    Does anyone have any info on whether or not any specific version does a better job with reception. I jist switched from alltel pearl to verizon 8330. My reception is not as good with verizon at home. Think I am in a fringe area and need just a bit more reception for stable voice calls. Thanks!!!
    I don't believe the OS is going to make any difference when it comes to reception. Did you switch to Verizon because of the merger? Depending on your market I would guess that once the integration is complete with Alltel your reception will be as good as it was before.

stonewall72 no está en línea Themes Pro
    I am in the Raleigh, NC area. We decided to move to Verizon since our contract was up. Our Curves were cheaper and we "thought" the coverage in some of our travel areas would be better. However, it is flipping from 1x to 1XEV about every 30 sec. here at home. All other areas that I have traveled to have been "OK". I installed 4.5.160 Telus yesterday and reception was much worse. Browser did not work very well, phone calls dropped and messages were slow to arrive even after deleting all service books and resending. This morning, I wiped and installed 4.5.89 from Alltel and I seem to be having some success tonight.So far I have 1XEV steady with no flipping to 1X. Signal is -90dBm to -100dBm as long as I am not moving around to much. Wish me luck! Maybe this will stick!!!

Not sure when Alltel and Verizon will be fully integrated with their towers in my area but hopefully soon!

Thanks Cowboy!

tattoo432 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    askme
    Been using the .160 for about a week now. So far so good.

pipesfamily no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    pipes, I don't know if this will help but if you want to give it a try you could upgrade to 4.5.0.160. I and a few other 8330 users did it and found that their GPS worked with BB Maps after the upgrade.

In most cases, after you execute BB Maps and get the GPS working, then it will work with Google Maps but not too consistently. Hope that info helps.
    when i goto the verizon site the newest it gives in .101 it doesn't even give me the option for .160