I saw several tweets today that the Google Mobile App for BlackBerry has been updated ... BlackBerry News forum

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!

Google Mobile App For BlackBerry Updated, Search Contacts & Email by Voice!

I saw several tweets today that the Google Mobile App for BlackBerry has been updated to include searching your emails and contacts on your device. Even better is the fact that you can type or search by voice! Here are details from the official google mobile blog:

"If you have a BlackBerry and use the built-in Messages and Contacts apps, you can now search the email and contacts on your device using the new version of Google Mobile App.

Just type (or speak) your query - perhaps the name of the person who sent you the mail or a phrase from the text - and Google Mobile App will search through the emails and contacts on your device and return the results. You can quickly reply to an email or forward it on.

You can also quickly call, SMS, or email contacts by typing the first few letters of your contact's first or last name, and then pressing the corresponding button. Google Mobile App will suggest contacts as you type and you can scroll down to select one. Google Mobile App will promote the people you contact frequently to the top of the suggestions list

To switch between on-device results (email and contacts) and web results (from Google), click on the link underneath the search box.

If you'd rather Google Mobile App not search your email and contacts, you can turn off Phone Search in the options screen. Google Mobile App does not send information about your contacts or content from your emails to Google. This data is only accessed on your device.

Searching email requires BlackBerry OS version 4.5 or higher. Searching contacts is available on BlackBerry OS 4.2 and higher.

The new version of Google Mobile App also includes other improvements, such as the ability to use your BlackBerry's Wi-Fi connection to access the Internet.

To download Google Mobile App to your BlackBerry, visit Learn more in our help center."

Have you been playing with this yet? Let us know how it is working for you!
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

Jaricanese no está en línea Software Pro
    I wonder how well this will work with the Google Voice app. If it has the integration I been waiting for, then AWESOME.

Ekzt1nr no está en línea Stack level 5
    Wut are ppls thoughts and reviews on this?

Jtetch no está en línea Stack level 3
    Very useful upgrade. A must have app.

HerbBauer no está en línea Stack level 1

New Google Mobile app may have made my BB unstable

It's a complex issue probably, but right about after I upgraded to the new Google Mobile apps, my 9700 Bold kept crashing whenever it accessed location based services or the browser (not the WAP browser). The phone became extremely unresponsive, and when I uninstalled the Google app, and the phone worked great again. I hope it's not Google - I like their app set a lot.

alumnah no está en línea Stack level 1
    i downloaded the upgraded version - 3.5.48 - for my bold 9700 - not too bad once you figure it out.

You actually have to submit your search for it to search your emails - otherwise it will just give you suggestions for web search and your contacts.
    It also will not list out all numbers for a contact, only the first number that is stored in the contact info screen - for example, if i have a home, mobile and work # for a friend, when it finds him as a contact, his home # shows up. You swipe the trackpad to the right to call right away, and it calls his home #. If i would rather call his mobile #, i have to click on him as the contact, then choose call and then choose the # to call. So while this is a pretty neat functionality for the google mobile app itself, everything it does can be done without this app - and probably easier. I can just type a contact name from the home screen to search for them, and it will list all their numbers. If i want to find a message (any message) from someone, or with certain info in it, I can just as easily use the native Blackberry search application. Like the google app, it can search through emails, but unlike google, it will also search my SMS, MMS, BBMs, Facebook messages, etc.

So while I do see this as a step in the right direction for the google mobile app, the limited capabilities of its current incarnation dont justify me using it any more than i need to for normal web searches.

EDIT: I should bite my tongue - as I typed this post I tried to use the Blackberry search function for a contact I message and speak with very frequently - it's found over 250 messages and counting, but it's moving very slow with a few hourglasses... It's taken over a minute and it is still not complete. So while the native Blackberry search function may not be PERFECT, especially if you have alot of information for said criteria, it can still drill down and search more areas of your phone than the google search can (My Blackberry search looked through all of my messages (SMS, MMS, BBM, pin, etc.), my calendar, contacts, memopad, facebook and all of my tasks - google wont go that deep)
    Last edited by alumnah; 01-17-2010 at 10:24 PM.

jhutton12 no está en línea Stack level 3
    How big is this application and is it worth it to have?