Message from Google Mobile : If you own a BlackBerry Storm on Verizon Wireless, we ... BlackBerry News forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Google Maps on Verizon's BlackBerry Storm now uses GPS for My Location

Advertisement

Message from Google Mobile: If you own a BlackBerry Storm on Verizon Wireless, we encourage you to download a brand new version of Google Maps for mobile that utilizes the Storm's internal GPS. The Storm is the first Verizon BlackBerry that makes it possible for My Location to access GPS location. After you install the new version on your Storm, you will notice improved accuracy for My Location and Latitude.

So if you have a Verizon BlackBerry Storm, just go to m.google.com/maps from your BlackBerry's browser to download the latest version of Google Maps to your device - and start getting hyper-accurate!(Note: If you have an older BlackBerry on Verizon, even one with GPS like the BlackBerry 8130, this announcement unfortunately does not apply to you. The Storm is currently the only BlackBerry Verizon phone that makes GPS available to Google Maps. We hope you enjoy using My Location through network positioning or Wi-Fi, when available.)

[Read More]

baker954 no está en línea Stack level 2
    IT'S ALIVE!!! hehehe

retiredf5 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Does the new Google Maps apply to the Storm that has VZ Nav loaded and functioning or does it works with the Storm's Maps application even if VZ Nav is not loaded??

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by retiredf5 View Post
    Does the new Google Maps apply to the Storm that has VZ Nav loaded and functioning or does it works with the Storm's Maps application even if VZ Nav is not loaded??
    it has nothing to do with vznav. just an update to google maps where the gps works.
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

sharky77uk no está en línea Stack level 2
    Does this work for BB Bold?

eazid no está en línea Stack level 4
    I want them to unlock it for all the VZW blackberries. By "them" I mean VZW, and if not.... google!
    "Who Dares Wins"

artcarney no está en línea Stack level 3
    I can't speak for the Bold but it does work for my 8900 Curve. It usually gets my location to within 3 meters!

David
    [QUOTE=sharky77uk;1066875]Does this work for BB Bold?[/QUOTE

]
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

otto1776 no está en línea Stack level 1

Verizon or Google?

I have a 8130 Pearl which can use GPS with the Verizon mapping system so why can't the 8130 be used with Google maps. Google or Verizon?

lsu4lif3 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    thats awesome wish i had a storm
    Never give up...you can always make a difference

dgburns no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by otto1776 View Post
    I have a 8130 Pearl which can use GPS with the Verizon mapping system so why can't the 8130 be used with Google maps. Google or Verizon?
    Both.
    Verizon has laid out a process (that has fees behind it) to application developers to access device GPS. This is as opposed to the exact same devices being sold by Sprint (8130, 8330, 8830) where the GPS can be accessed easily by any app without having to have carrier approval. Apparently Google is not (or has not yet) submitting a version of Google Maps for the 8130/8330/8830/etc. to Verizon for approval.
    So you can choose who you wish to "blame" for this, but there's plenty of "blame" to go around. Heck, throw some RIM's way for even allowing (via software) the GPS to be disabled in Verizon's case.

snakedocter38 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    30683A78
    I just downloaded it on my 9530 storm on t-mobile its good to with in 3 meters works great love this app.

dntnvme no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    308BCD43
    It works on the curve very well, but I will be changing to the storm when I get home. It is waiting for me...

lsu4lif3 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    wow they are catching up
    Never give up...you can always make a difference