Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wi-Fi® is the brand name, licensed by the Wi-Fi Alliance and governed by the Institute ... BlackBerry News forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Getting started - BlackBerry Wi-FI

Advertisement

Wi-Fi® is the brand name, licensed by the Wi-Fi Alliance and governed by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE®) 802.11 standards, for a technology that allows wireless communications between devices enabled with Wi-Fi technology and wireless local area networks (WLAN). Although the original standard included infrared and radio transmission, subsequent amendments focused solely on variations in radio transmission.

Common implementations of Wi-Fi technology include organization networking, home office networking, and public Internet access.

A Wi-Fi® enabled BlackBerry smartphone can access voice and data services using multiple radio technologies.

If the wireless service provider makes Unlicensed Mobile Access (UMA)/generic access network (GAN) technology available for subscription, the Wi-Fi enabled BlackBerry smartphone can access voice and data services over a mobile network and a Wi-Fi connection. UMA/GAN allows concurrent connections to data services over a Wi-Fi connection and voice services over the mobile network.
    A Wi-Fi enabled BlackBerry smartphone can establish a Wi-Fi connection from an enterprise Wi-Fi network, a personal Wi-Fi network with a virtual private network (VPN) connection, or a hotspot with a VPN connection direct to the BlackBerry Router.

In addition, using a Wi-Fi network to connect directly to the BlackBerry Router, with or without a VPN session, or to the Internet on the appropriate port, a Wi-Fi enabled BlackBerry smartphone can access the BlackBerry® Internet Service, BlackBerry® Messenger, and personal identification number (PIN) messaging.

A Wi-Fi enabled BlackBerry smartphone requires a Subscriber Identity Module (SIM) card to connect to the BlackBerry Router and access data services.

The difference between automatic and manual Wi-Fi Selection Mode
    Automatic Wi-Fi® Selection Mode is the default mode for BlackBerry smartphones. Automatic Wi-Fi Selection Mode allows the BlackBerry smartphone to switch automatically to an appropriate Wi-Fi network when the BlackBerry smartphone user moves through Wi-Fi coverage areas. The BlackBerry smartphone selects Wi-Fi networks based on the order on the Saved Wi-Fi Profiles list.

To scan for available Wi-Fi® networks, complete the following steps:
    1. Click Set Up Wi-Fi.
    2. Click Next.
    3. Click Scan For Networks.
    4. If prompted, click Turn Wi-Fi on.
    5. From the list of available Wi-Fi networks, click the appropriate Wi-Fi network.
    6. Specify the required security credentials
    7. Click Connect to connect to the Wi-Fi network.
    8. To save the Wi-Fi network connection as a profile, click Yes in the Save this Wi-Fi Network as a Profile field. Note: The BlackBerry smartphone can connect to a Wi-Fi network without saving that Wi-Fi network connection as a profile. However, each subsequent connection to that Wi-Fi network will require the BlackBerry smartphone user to complete Set Up Wi-Fi.
    9. Type a profile name in the Profile Name field.
    10. Click Next.
    11. Click Finish to complete the connection to an available Wi-Fi network.
    Manual Wi-Fi Selection Mode allows the BlackBerry smartphone user to select the Wi-Fi networks to which the BlackBerry smartphone will attempt to connect.

To manually add a Wi-Fi® network, complete the following steps:
    1. Click Set Up Wi-Fi.
    2. Click Next.
    3. Click Manually Add Network.
    4. Type the network name or service set identifier (SSID).
    5. Click Add.
    6. From the Security Type menu, select the security type for the Wi-Fi network.
    7. Specify the required security credentials.
    8. Click Connect to manually add and connect to a Wi-Fi network.

Switch between automatic and manual Wi-Fi Selection Mode

To switch between automatic and manual Wi-Fi® Selection Mode, complete the following steps:
    1. In Options, click Wi-Fi Connections.
    2. Highlight the Wi-Fi Selection Mode field.
    3. Press the Menu key.
    4. From the Wi-Fi Connections menu, click Change Option.
    5. Click a Wi-Fi Selection Mode.
    6. Press the Menu key.
    7. From the Wi-Fi Connections menu, click Save to change the Wi-Fi Selection Mode.

Find the MAC address of a BlackBerry smartphone enabled with Wi-Fi technology

To find the Media Access Control (MAC) address of a BlackBerry smartphone enabled with Wi-Fi® technology, complete the following steps:
    1. Open Options.
    2. Select Status.
    3. The WLAN MAC field displays the MAC address for the BlackBerry smartphone.

WEP

Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) encryption uses matching encryption keys at both the wireless access point and the BlackBerry smartphone enabled with Wi-Fi® technology to secure wireless communication. This key can be 40 bits (for 64-bit WEP) or 104 bits (for 128-bit WEP) in length.

WPA
    Wi-Fi Protected Access™ (WPA) is a software upgradeable security solution for Wi-Fi® networking that addresses the vulnerabilities of Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) encryption. WPA uses Temporal Key Integrity Protocol (TKIP) with the following variations:
    • WPA-Personal uses a pre-shared key (PSK)
    • WPA-Enterprise uses 802.1x/EAP
    WPA2
    Wi-Fi Protected Access 2™ (WPA2) improves on WPA by introducing encryption algorithms considered fully secure and implementing all of the mandatory components of IEEE 802.11i. WPA2 uses Advanced Encryption Standard Counter Mode with Cipher Block Chaining Message Authentication Code (AES-CCMP) encryption with the following variations:
    • WPA2-Personal uses PSK
    • WPA2-Enterprise uses 802.1x/Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP)
    Browser fast switching
    # Once connected to the personal Wi-Fi network or hotspot, open the BlackBerry Browser.
    # In the Browser menu, click Go To.
    # In the Go To menu, click Change Browser.
    # Click Wi-Fi Browser.
    # In the Go To field, type the web page address.

getmetty no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Getting started - BlackBerry Wi-FI

Hayden did a wonderful job of explaining the basics of using Wi-Fi on the BlackBerry.

I would like to clarify the differences between the Wi-Fi Browser, BlackBerry Browser and Internet Browser. The Wi-Fi browser provides a direct connection to the Internet with no compression or optimization, it is a "raw" connection to the Internet. It does not utilize the carrier's infrastructure or BES (MDS) in serving web pages. For BES users when connected to a Wi-Fi network, the BlackBerry browser will utilize the Wi-Fi connection back to the user's BES (MDS) for optimization, compression and encryption. For BIS users, the Internet Browser will also use the Wi-Fi connection back to the carrier's infrastructure for optimization and compression. Thus to get a more optimized browsing experience, BES users might want to use BlackBerry browser and BIS users might want to use the Internet Browser.
    Last edited by getmetty; 09-26-2007 at 10:24 PM.

indiangator no está en línea Stack level 1

I was not able to find a Change Browser option on the Blackberry Browser Menu. Please help. How do I switch to a wi-fi browser when connected to my home network. Thanks.

indiangator no está en línea Stack level 1

Please ignore above post. I found it. Browser->Options->Browser Configuration->change to wi-fi browser.

harm_dzines no está en línea Stack level 3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ printing this to read later tonight at work, just ordered my TMO Curve, currently have the Pearl w/BIS, in order to use the WI-FI on my new Curve, what would I need? Another subsriction/router?
    Trying to understand this WI-FI, sorry for sounding dumb
    Thanks for your help!

richcee no está en línea Stack level 2

I have a 8800 without a data plan and was considering getting a 8820 w/Wifi. Will this save me money versus getting a data plan for my 8800. A guy in a AT&T store told me that I still need a data plan for the phone to work but I think I've read differently. Am now holding off getting the phone because now I am too confused. I heard that you, only, can't get the rebate without a data plan. I don't use the Internet all the time so I didn't want to pay $39 every month for something I don't use much. Also, can you get AOL mail with Wifo? Hope I'm not sounding too dumb!! Any advice would be appreciated.

communicare no está en línea Stack level 1

Thank you so much for your postings. I've had a BB for several years with ATT, but got my curve on Wednesday and had a series of problems with the Wi-fi connection that TMo and RIM fixed for me, but couldn't really explain their cause.

First, I had the switch device problem and then the uma problem and your postings made enough sense that I am now really happy with the device and can hopefull avoid at least some repeats. I test these devices for doctors who count on reliability for access to their patients and you guys may have helped to save someone's life!

srinivasvk92 no está en línea Stack level 2

Hi, this is very interesting article. One questions though...what about the BB devices running on 4.1 OS and devices like 72xx or so... is there a way to tune them to operate on the WI-FI browser. I was just curious to see these things in my Pearl and 7290. But looks 72xx has capabilities..may be I am fully aware how to work on 72xx with WI-FI browser.
    In the Browser confi options, I have three choices but no WI-FI.. If this make sense, please advise on using this on 7290.

srinivasvk92 no está en línea Stack level 2

Apologies....just read the article 8820 First Dual-Mode Cellular and Wi-Fi Blackberry
    looks 72xx are ineligible.

Redman77 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2421FC5C

Could some help me with a "UMA error code W006.1" I can not get UMA to work! Thanks

saipale no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23F82DF9

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

harm_dzines no está en línea Stack level 3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Question, while at home I scan for WiFi network and there are several neighbors around me with WiFi that show up on my Curve. Is there a way, without a key, to tap into there
    WiFi?
    I am already able to connect to my employers WiFi.

cpariti no está en línea Stack level 1

Smile Re: Getting started - BlackBerry Wi-FI

mgetty, Thank you for this clear explanation of what was a great mystery. This all makes sense now. What does not make sense is, "Why" ? I understand why I might sometimes choose the Blackberry Browser manually -- it provides access to my corporate network. But why doesn't the blackberry automatically choose the WiFi browser when I'm using a WiFi connection, and the Internet Browser when I'm not ? This would seem to be the most sensible default behavior. Instead, the device seems to always use my default browser.

In fact, THE MOST sensible would be a single browser that
    1) recognizes corporate URLs and connects to the BES or else ...
    2) recognizes a WiFi connection and connects directly to the destination web site or else ...
    3) connects to the BIS

Then instead of having three different "browsers" in my face with obscure differences in behavior that I MUST learn (despite their being undocumented), I would have just one browser that usually does the right thing, with a rarely-used manual override, "connection via" that could safely be hidden away deep in the options.

Quote Originally Posted by getmetty View Post
    Hayden did a wonderful job of explaining the basics of using Wi-Fi on the BlackBerry.

I would like to clarify the differences between the Wi-Fi Browser, BlackBerry Browser and Internet Browser. The Wi-Fi browser provides a direct connection to the Internet with no compression or optimization, it is a "raw" connection to the Internet. It does not utilize the carrier's infrastructure or BES (MDS) in serving web pages. For BES users when connected to a Wi-Fi network, the BlackBerry browser will utilize the Wi-Fi connection back to the user's BES (MDS) for optimization, compression and encryption. For BIS users, the Internet Browser will also use the Wi-Fi connection back to the carrier's infrastructure for optimization and compression. Thus to get a more optimized browsing experience, BES users might want to use BlackBerry browser and BIS users might want to use the Internet Browser.

5angels no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    241c528b

Quote Originally Posted by Redman77 View Post
    Could some help me with a "UMA error code W006.1" I can not get UMA to work! Thanks
    I am having the same problem. "UMA error code W006.1"
    I've had my 8320 with the TMO D-Link wireless router for 2 months without any problems. The UMA worked perfectly. All of a sudden, No UMA. I have 2 8320's, mine and my wife's, and both are having the same problem. This leads me to believe the problem is with the router and not the BB's. The WiFi works but not the UMA. I've power cycled the router, I've reset the router back to factory defaults and run the setup cd again. Still no good.
    Please help!!! I get no cell signal at home, which is why I signed up for H@H in the first place.

Thanks.

Sorry, I shouldn't have posted this here. I will repost in the 8300 forum.
    Last edited by 5angels; 12-08-2007 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Posted in the wrong forum

dudash no está en línea Stack level 1

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ what about on Verizon phones? They are locked and don't even have a wifi option. Could someone help me unlock my Verizon pearl?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast