Users Can Now Take Enhanced Versions of Their Favorite Stations with Them, with or without ... BlackBerry News forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

FlyCast 2.0 Allows BlackBerry Users to Cache Radio Wirelessly to Their Mobi

Advertisement

Users Can Now Take Enhanced Versions of Their Favorite Stations with Them, with or without a Connection

FlyCast, the popular mobile broadcasting service, today debuted “wireless station caching,” the ability to enjoy favorite radio stations on a mobile device anywhere, even without a wireless connection. With FlyCast 2.0, users can quickly store their favorite stations to their mobile devices when connected to a cellular or Wi-Fi network, then disconnect from the network and listen to the stations at their leisure.

Version 2.0 of the company’s popular BlackBerry application, available today, offers an enhanced listening experience by presenting music stations in a track-based cover flow, enabling in-application music purchases and providing time shifting skip-ahead and skip-back functionality. FlyCast 2.0 solves many common mobile music challenges – significantly reducing battery drain and cellular data usage charges, improving the listening experience, and making it easy to buy songs, even after they are broadcast.

FlyCast 2.0’s caching technology allows users to enjoy the following features:

• 3 Plays/30 Days --Cached content is maintained in the context of the station and can be kept for a maximum of 30 days or three plays, whichever occurs first;
    • In-Application Purchasing – Users can purchase tracks with the click of a button from within the application, even after the song has been broadcast;
    • Twitter integration -- Users can Tweet or “recommend” songs they like from FlyCast. Links are then posted to their Twitter account and followers can click on the link from any Twitter reader and be immediately taken to that station and hear the entire song.

Unlike other services, FlyCast 2.0 offers over-the-air (OTA) caching of stations and does not require a USB connection. Additionally, stations can be “burst-cached” much faster than real-time, requiring only minutes of connectivity to cache hours of web and terrestrial broadcasts. Listening to cached stations can dramatically reduce battery drain and cellular data usage charges.
    "With FlyCast 2.0, we've introduced a new type of broadcast experience that benefits listeners, broadcasters, and content providers alike," said David Kennedy, FlyCast CEO. "We've focused on addressing common problems encountered by those who enjoy the mobile media experience, and in doing so we've also dramatically enhanced the quality of that experience. Now, listeners can see what they are hearing, audition it prior to purchase, recommend it and buy it."

Pricing and Availability
    FlyCast 2.0 is available as a free download by browsing to http://www.flycast.fm from a supported BlackBerry device and has been submitted to the BlackBerry AppWorld store and will be available there shortly. The free version allows unlimited streaming. Users can also choose from two, one-time only premium upgrade fees that offer station caching -- $9.95 for five hours and $19.95 for 20 hour versions, good for the life of the device. This one-time pricing model is unique in the industry. Individual tracks from the cached stations can be purchased at any time from within the FlyCast application.

FlyCast 2.0 supports the BlackBerry Storm, Bold and Curve and will be available for the iPhone, iPod Touch and Android devices later this year.

Extensive Channel Line-up
    FlyCast now has over 1500 channels of content in the network, including local radio stations, news, talk, sports, weather, traffic and all genres of music. Partners include FOX News, Entercom, AccuRadio, Bonneville International, Bryan Broadcasting, Crawford Broadcasting, the Cromwell Radio Group, the Genesis Communication Network, KGOW Communications, KFMB, Midwest Television, Sandusky Radio Seattle, .977 Music, 1.FM, 1Club, Sky.FM, Digitally Imported, RadioIO, LA Talk, Radio Paradise, Martini in the Morning, FuzeBox Media, Jelly, Radio, Liberty News Radio, Blog Talk Radio, SmoothJazz.com, The Score and Comedy104. The company also offers “White Label” and DirectLink products for any content owner seeking to stream media over mobile, including bands, sports franchises, universities and athletes.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    I was all excited to try this until I saw that they charge for caching....I will stick with Slacker and free caching...thank goodness we have so many options for BlackBerry when it comes to streaming music. Flycast has come a long way....but many of the free alternatives are good enough for me.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

javatyger no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    U5W15H
    They're charging now???

Hmm...I guess I haven't been using it that much to notice, but I love the cache feature of it. I wish Slacker did work here then I would probably be using it, but no love for us Canadians. Flycast has been pretty decent for me, so I'll have to check it out and see if they are charging for it.

Hmmmm....
    My Smartphone History - 7130e -> 8130 Pearl -> 8330 Curve -> iPhone 3G -> Javelin(Curve 8900)

Streaming still free, but a one time charge for a version that caches. Price depends on how much you cache. It's not outrageous in price, but while there are still good free options I will always choose free 1st!
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

goldengirl75 no está en línea Stack level 5
    Flycast and Stitcher are two great additions for my phone. Now, I can listen to the "old timey radio" when I don't have access to Sirius.

I got an email that Flycast is offering ad special discount in September, 20 hours of caching for the price of 5 hours. So $9.95 even for the top plan. I still like Slacker's free caching better, but this can be done wirelessly in flycast. There is a one week free trial of caching as well if you want to see if it's worth it to you. I find the fact that you can't transfer this if you switch devices to be a downer too.....but anyway, from the email:

"FlyCast version 2 is now available in BlackBerry App World. It includes several dramatic enhancements over the older version you are now using. The new version is easier to use, dramatically reduces battery drain, and offers you the ability to “cache” hours of your favorite stations and listen to them without needing a wireless connection.
    FlyCast’s channel choices just keep getting better - now over 1500 of your favorite Internet radio stations, including local AM/FM channels, news, talk, sports and virtually every genre and sub-genre of music.
    For the month of September, we’re offering our BlackBerry users a special introductory offer – 20 hours for the price of 5 on FlyCast’s station caching upgrade. Think about it … You’ll be able to keep up to 20 hours of your favorite stations ready to listen on your phone, anytime you want without worrying about excessive battery drain or flaky wireless connections.
    But don’t just take our word for it, try it yourself, free. Everyone who downloads FlyCast version 2 gets a one week demo trial of station caching.
    Once you’ve seen it in action, take our “20 hours for the price of 5” discount by pressing the “Upgrade” button in the lower right of FlyCast’s main screen, then enter discount code “BERRY0909” at the bottom of the next screen. You'll enjoy the full 20 hours of cache for as long as you keep your phone."
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4