Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Yesterday I saw a post from Stacker JoshSeawell about an application for scanning UPC barcodes ... BlackBerry News forum

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

Edocrab (beta) -- Scan UPC Barcodes with Your BlackBerry

Advertisement

Yesterday I saw a post from Stacker JoshSeawell about an application for scanning UPC barcodes with your BlackBerry camera and using the internet connection to check price comparisons. If you listen to the PScast, you would have heard Gary and I discussing a similar app for the Android devices awhile back and I was kinda jealous. iPhone users have had an app like this for quite some time too. So, of course I downloaded it to try it out for a test drive. While the price comparisons work for all models (using typing input), only the Tour, 8900/Curve and Storm support the camera scanning of the barcode, as this application requires the use of auto focus to get the best image possible.

Once you locate the product (using the camera or typing input) you can get price comparisons, reviews, images and even video (if there is one available) for the product in question. For an app that is currently in beta form, I really couldn't find one thing wrong with the performance of the app (aside from the fact that I wish my Bold supported the camera scanning function)

Check out the attached screenshots for a more visual feel of the application. Try it out for yourself. There are many mobile apps out on the market that may not be used on a regular basis, but would be extremely helpful on the sly. This app is one of them. File it in an app folder and have it when you need it!

You can participate in the beta by going to this link from your BlackBerry device.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cherrichiodo; 09-19-2009 at 01:25 AM.

afig0101 no está en línea Stack level 2
    I downloaded it into my Bold and it said that the device does not meet the hardware requirements for scanning barcodes. I can only manually enter the item UPC.

Emmc no está en línea Stack level 5
    I downloaded it to my 8900. I tried to scan 8 different products. It wasn't able to "decode" any of them. I deleted the app. Looks like it needs more work. I like the concept though.

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    Quote Originally Posted by afig0101 View Post
    I downloaded it into my Bold and it said that the device does not meet the hardware requirements for scanning barcodes. I can only manually enter the item UPC.
    it does not support the bold for picture scanning. only available if you type in the code (mentioned twice in the post )

Quote Originally Posted by Emmc View Post
    I downloaded it to my 8900. I tried to scan 8 different products. It wasn't able to "decode" any of them. I deleted the app. Looks like it needs more work. I like the concept though.
    its still in beta

automan69 no está en línea Stack level 3
    After trying 10 times to take pictures on my Tour it wasn't able to decode anything. Deleted it. And what good is it if you have to type in the code, kinda defeats the purpose. Needs a lot of work.
    BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.40 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/126

getsugatensho no está en línea Stack Professional
    I took a picture of the UPC on the back of a Meet Joe Black dvd. It decoded, brought up a price, reviews, and some other stuff. It was pretty cool.
    BlackBerry9530/4.7.0.122 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105

s4berry no está en línea Stack level 3
    Wow, pretty cool! Only had a bottle of Purell and a bag of floss, and it found it. Just need to make sure the barcode picture you take is in good focus. Took a few tries, but the 8900's autofocus worked great.

I'll need to give this a try on other items in a store.
    BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.250 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    this looks like fun!
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

tiascurve66 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    4U2ASKME
    Hey I will give it a try and if it doesn't work I will just keep it until they work out the kinks.
    BlackBerry8310/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102

Jbee no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3047D925
    Did not work on my Storm...will wait a while & try again.
    BlackBerry9530/4.7.0.151 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105

izzycampos no está en línea Stack level 1
    [FONT=Verdana]It wont let me scan on my Bold but I can manually enter the sku it works.[/FONT]

lando4 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30FB09EF
    hey thanks for this post very kool to have in none english speaking area lolol less to say in a store.. quick in and out RIM FOR LIFE
    Lando
    (googletalk/latitude)
    landopecs@gmail.com

PIN# 30FB09EF
    http://jackshill.hi5.com

BestWitted no está en línea Stack level 7

Thumbs up

I love it....tried scanning a bottle of water but message came back indicating candy and some C-store items may not be available yet but the next 4 items I scanned worked flawlessly.....it took the picture, found the barcode, looked up the item and price, displayed it and even provided a thumbnail photo of the product.....optionally I could have checked reviews, shopped for lowest price, etc. A really cool app.....
    "We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
    Enjoying life in Lehi, UT with my BB 9780 on ATT

iamgoofy no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    210ca18d
    humm! i downloaded this about two weeks ago and it worked great! done a handheld/wipe of my bb bold 9000 and just now re downloaded it,,,,it will not work this time! any advice/ thanks

wheelz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ask4pin
    Mine works great even though iam not able to use the camera options. I just type in the barcode or key word search and bingo I get a thumbnail veiw of the product and pricing. Cool app

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast