Page 30 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2526272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Originally Posted by Tree Fiddy I upgraded by following every instruction to a 'T', according ... BlackBerry News forum

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Tree Fiddy View Post
    I upgraded by following every instruction to a 'T', according to the instructions posted in twheeler's blog.

Everything ran smoothly and when the program was "Reconnecting to JVM" it bombed. I had the 507 message on the screen, which I believe means your BB is a paperweight. This all happened last night (July 30) so I panicked, sent twheeler a PM, which I'll be resending soon indicating all is well, and went to bed.

I tried again this morning and got the same result by reading through KB02792. So I checked all my physical connections and started again. One thing I noticed, which was the thing that kept me from succeeding, is that I plugged my BB into a different USB port for the upgrade than I had used for it in the past. I inserted the cable in the normal port and retried. Success. I'm now checking out 4.5.0.52 and seeing how I like it.

Not sure why the BB program cared which USB port it was in. Perhaps I'm too noob to know, but I thought any USB port would be fine.

If anyone gets the "Cannot connect to the JVM" message, check out your port connections. It might help.
    Sometimes when devices are removed from USB ports it's not a "clean" break from the system and things tend to get confused with so many connections and releases. Solutions range from what you described above (using a different USB port), to rebooting your PC, to deleting and installing a fresh copy of the Desktop Manager.....or all of the above!

Anyway, glad you were able to get it all sorted out.

Roger

liquidsense no está en línea Stack level 2

help with unlocking themes

I recently upgraded my AT&T 8310 Curve to OS v.4.5 (previously v.4.2).

In doing so, I followed the instructions to delete the vendor.xml file (since the OS is not configured by AT&T). Everything is working perfectly fine, but I had a question about unlocking themes.

In order to "unlock" themes, you need to be able to access the vendor.xml file. But, in the process mentioned above, I deleted that file. Now, when I go to look for it, the file is no longer there (as expected, since I deleted it).

In another thread, an individual claimed that he was able to unlock themes just fine. But I just don't understand how you can do that if you don't have a vendor.xml file to work with. Was the vendor.xml file supposed to regenerate when I upgraded my phone?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by liquidsense View Post

In doing so, I followed the instructions to delete the vendor.xml file (since the OS is not configured by AT&T). Everything is working perfectly fine, but I had a question about unlocking themes.

In order to "unlock" themes, you need to be able to access the vendor.xml file. But, in the process mentioned above, I deleted that file. Now, when I go to look for it, the file is no longer there (as expected, since I deleted it).

In another thread, an individual claimed that he was able to unlock themes just fine. But I just don't understand how you can do that if you don't have a vendor.xml file to work with. Was the vendor.xml file supposed to regenerate when I upgraded my phone?

Looks like you're getting your question answered in another thread.

snipes mcgee no está en línea Stack level 4
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidsense View Post

You don't need the Vendor.xml file to unlock themes. You have to find the Blackberry.alx file. If you go through it close enough, you'll find the names of different themes for Vodafone, Orange, I believe, T-Mobile, etc. Under each on there's a line of numbers which are the vendor codes for each carrier to allow the installation of that theme onto the device. To get the theme you want, you need to add the vendor code for your carrier (for AT&T it's 102) into that line.

Ex.:
    105|145|115|142

Just add 102 into it...:

105|145|115|142|102

And the next time you connect, the DM will install the themes.

But everytime you upgrade to a new OS, you have to add the vendor code into the Blackberry.alx file.
    I have a BlackBerry and a WhiteApple. :)

allendehl no está en línea Stack level 2
    Hi Friends

I have a BB 8100. It died like a week ago and since that I'm trying to load the OS again with no luck. Finally I'm trying with this file:

8100M_PBr4[1].5.0_rel52_PL2.7.0.55_A4.5.0.37.exe

Now the problem is that it starts loading the bunch of apps and some of them give a fatal error. I was deleting from the files those but it is a never end task.
    If I just restart the loading process without wiping out the phone first it will load some others apps and the phone starts but all messed up. All in black and white, the icons wont work...

Is there another app a could try? Can somebody give me a link? I cant find ano other besides the one I just downloaded.

Thanks a lot

liquidsense no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by snipes mcgee View Post
    You don't need the Vendor.xml file to unlock themes. You have to find the Blackberry.alx file. If you go through it close enough, you'll find the names of different themes for Vodafone, Orange, I believe, T-Mobile, etc. Under each on there's a line of numbers which are the vendor codes for each carrier to allow the installation of that theme onto the device. To get the theme you want, you need to add the vendor code for your carrier (for AT&T it's 102) into that line.

Ex.:
    105|145|115|142

Just add 102 into it...:

105|145|115|142|102

And the next time you connect, the DM will install the themes.

But everytime you upgrade to a new OS, you have to add the vendor code into the Blackberry.alx file.
    Got it. Thank you very much for the help. Very much appreciated.

shockel5000 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    21066FE2
    Hi I updated the OS on my 8300 and my only complaint would have to be the speaker volume for the ringer and I guess media. It is imperative that I hear my phone ringing due to the many things I get called for and unfortunately after I upgraded my ringer volume is not loud enough to hear.. I was wondering if anybody else had experienced this problem and if so what you did to solve it. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shockel5000 View Post
    Hi I updated the OS on my 8300 and my only complaint would have to be the speaker volume for the ringer and I guess media. It is imperative that I hear my phone ringing due to the many things I get called for and unfortunately after I upgraded my ringer volume is not loud enough to hear.. I was wondering if anybody else had experienced this problem and if so what you did to solve it. Thanks
    This is a known issue and will be addressed in later releases.

harm_dzines no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by DonGato View Post
    No that's a welcomed change by the majority of people and intended so I doubt you will be able to use the old behavior.
    Really, well that sucks LOL for me at least

allendehl no está en línea Stack level 2
    Hi friends, I finally was able to install the latest OS in my 8100. It is 4.5 REL 81

My question is if it is possible to make it to group the text messages by sender's number as it was before it died(an older OS...I guess 4.2).
    Now it just show them all in a straight list.

Thanks

mjordan no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by sjb4 View Post
    Thank you Jason, very helpful info.

I played around a bit this morning and got the HTML email to work by resending the service books along with increasing the media memory to save new pics. I had to up the Media memory allotment from 5 Kb to 12 Kb, which allowed to move up the picture allotment from 0 Kb to 2 Kb.
    Where did you go to do this?

phinger23 no está en línea Stack level 2
    dont work...i deleted vendor.xml, plug phone in, no updates found

elcrudo no está en línea Stack level 1
    Good morning. I want to install 4.5.0.69 but it only has english language. Does anyone know how to include the spanish language to the OS ??? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by elcrudo View Post
    Good morning. I want to install 4.5.0.69 but it only has english language. Does anyone know how to include the spanish language to the OS ??? Thanks.
    Good morning and welcome to PinStack!

You will have to look through the applications on the Desktop Manager and make sure the box for Spanish is checked in the list of languages. I'm not at home so can't check this myself as to the exact location, but once you have installed the OS onto your PC and launch the DM, you will be able to look through all the applications to find the languages.

Quote Originally Posted by phinger23 View Post
    dont work...i deleted vendor.xml, plug phone in, no updates found
    Make sure there aren't two OS's in that folder on your PC.

Go into the Add/Remove programs from the Control Panel on your PC and see which OS's are installed on your PC. Delete whatever you don't want. In fact, delete them all and download the new OS again.

You might also want to delete the Desktop Manager and do a fresh install (I'd recommend 4.3 at this point).

After all that, reboot your PC, delete the vendor.xml and connect your device to the PC and launch DM again.

Please post back with your results!

Roger