Blackberry Mini FAQ Hey all Veterans, and Rookies of the Blackberry World! I’m been a ... BlackBerry News forum

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator

Lightbulb Blackberry Mini FAQ Common Issues

Blackberry Mini FAQ

Hey all Veterans, and Rookies of the Blackberry World! I’m been a member of this wonderful community for a bit of time now keep seeing the same questions popping up again and again. As by design and the user friendly status of this forum there are many many threads of the same questions. I just wanted to consolidate all the information into one thread. So we could just post up one link for rookies to go to and retrieve their answer. These are basically the most common questions. Let’s say a Mini FAQ for BlackBerry. This is in no way all my information and I am NOT taking credit for any of it. I merely just found the threads and consolidated them. I tried to give credit where it was due. Sorry if I missed you.

Acronyms you need to know

BB = Blackberry
    BIS = Blackberry Internet Service (carrier provided)
    BES = Blackberry Enterprise Server (business, corporate world)
    OS = Operating System
    DM = Desktop Manager
    2. Speaker Volume (NO Ring+Vibrate same time)
    3. Assigning Alerts/Ringtones (Sound profiles)
    4. Transferring files
    5. TCP/APN settings (Open Tunnel Failure?)
    6. Adding/Removing Applications/Themes
    7. Lost Browser icon/Can’t read media files
    8. Trackball cleaning
    9. Bluetooth Transfer
    10. Miss Call Icon (won’t go away)
    11. No you cannot turn of camera sound
    12. Blank MMS
    13. Re-sending Service Books/Re-registering to your Network
    14. Upgrading/Re-installing or (Downgrading) your OS
    15. Stop disappearing SMS, MMS, Email, Call Logs

16. How to: Install or Remove a MicroSD Chip

1. NO STREAMING VIDEO as of 7-5-2007
    There is NO Streaming Video at this time. Yes there are a few sites. Quality is pretty poor and the Blackberry Browser just doesn’t support streaming. Sorry no YouTube.
    There are a few applications out that do buffer video, not sure if it’s worth downloading. I believe there is a subscription fee also.

2. Speaker Volume (NO RING+VIBRATE at same time)
    As you now know the speaker volume of the Pearl leaves a little to be desired. With the battery cover actually covering the speaker and muffling the sound quite a bit. Leaving behind a loose battery cover that rattles.
    There are a couple solutions to this one.

Modify the Volume of your Ringtone with a 3rd party program.

For Mp3s only: MP3Gain Nice small program that adjusts the gain of your MP3s
    For Ogg Vorbis, MP3, and WAV: Audacity is a great program

Purchase a new battery cover from Seidio
    Comes in 3 versions. Seidio Batteries/Battery Covers
    OEM replacement with a speaker opening
    1250mAh Slim extended battery w/speaker opening
    2400mAh extended batter w/speaker opening

On Another note about ringtones, there is NO option to have it RING+VIBRATE at the SAME TIME

3. Assigning Alerts/Ringtones for Email,SMS,MMS,etc.
    This is all done under your Profiles. By default there are 5 different ones.
    1. Loud
    2. Vibrate
    3. Quite
    4. Normal
    5. Phone Only
    You can always add a Custom one. That’s what I did.
    Go to Profiles, Scroll down to Advanced…Select your (active) profile whichever one it may be.

Selected it will produce a list of all the items that you can edit the alerts.

4. Transferring Files
    The easiest way to transfer files is to Enable Mass Storage Mode.
    Options>Advanced Options>Media Card.
    As you can see I have it switch to Auto Enable Mass Storage when Connected. So it just pops up when I connect to my PC. Then you can just access it as a removable drive from your PC and drag and drop respective files into the respective folders. Music to Music, Video to Video, Ringtones to Ringtones….you get my drift.
    Transferring Video Files is easily achieved with the drop and drag method if you have the files optimized for your Pearl. Use can use this thread to optimize your videos if you prefer to do it on your own. Note: this does not tell you how to rip your DVDs just convert files.

The Original: Video encoding for the 8100

If your files have not been optimized for your Pearl then the new Desktop Manager Service Pack 2 w/ Roxio Media Manager has streamlined this process.

Blackberry Desktop Software V4.2 Service Pack 2

You have a Split window with your PC on top and your BB on the bottom. You locate the file you want in the top window and drag in down to the bottom window, or you can use the Copy Up/Down or Move Up/Down buttons located in between the windows. Just make sure when copying to your BB that your copying it to the Media Card. You can tell by the explorer tree on the left hand side.

When you Copy Files you will get a prompt that says.

Do you want to Convert or Copy the files for Blackberry?
    Convert for Optimal PlaybackCopy with no Conversion
    Advanced Conversion Options

I usually just pick the first one and it works wonders.

5. TCP/APN Settings (Open Tunnel Failure?)

This usually happens with Opera Mini or any other 3rd Party Applications that use this connection.

Options>Advanced Options>TCP>

All settings for most Carriers can be found here: TCP, APN, WAP, Gateway and Port Carrier Settings

Adding/Removing Applications

This can be done in two ways

(OVER the AIR) using your Blackberry Browser, just navigate to the link with your browser and click it and you’re on your way! It will prompt you and just click download and it should install.
    Note: Obviously you need a data plan.

This is a great thread for OTA applications:
    JerryD's Mini Version Tracker - All Apps Updated 7/2/07

From your PC:
    UPDATE: 12-13-07 Step by Step Tutorial
    Download the .zip file containing the .alx and .cod to your PC. Unzip it the file using Winrar.
    You will find the two files .alx and .cod. extract them somewhere to your PC. Open up your Desktop Manager with your BB connected.
    Select Application Loader and then Add button on the top right. Find the .alx file and select Open.

You may encounter an issue with the Desktop Manager giving the error:
    No addition applications designed for your device were found
    First check if it’s not already listed in the applications list.
    Second see what action is listed for the application if it’s listed.
    If I says None and is listed then it’s been already installed.

Also make sure you have your a current or updated handheld core apps installed on your PC.

If it’s not listed try deleting the files and extracting them somewhere else and then try loading them again from the new location.

This can be done two ways

Application Loader:
    Just launch it with your BB connected and then uncheck the boxes of the applications you want to uninstall.

From your BB:
    Go to Options>Advanced Options>Applications>Scroll to the Application you want to delete>Hit Menu and Select Delete.

Also see this thread:

For users without a data plan and cannot use the OTA download, Here is a link to convert the OTA files. ( .jar .jad )
    Figured out how to put cod files on through Desktop Manager
    convert .jar / .jad files to .alx / .cod files
    Here's a thread with a little batch file converter

7. Lost Browser Icon (Can’t Read Media Files?)

This is solution was found by our Stack Pro Rcbjr. I believe he deserves most of the credit.
    Problem on Some New BlackBerry Handhelds
    You can also check this thread by N8DBB
    How To: Get your browser/email back after O.S. Install/Reinstall

Solution: Reinstall deleted module on handheld.

You will need to download and install on your PC, the current or a later version of the handheld operating system and let Desktop Manager / Application Loader replace the missing module.

You can find Blackberry OS here: Blackberry 8100 OS Software Links (by Carrier) [as of 26JUN]
    If you want it wouldn’t hurt to update your Desktop Manager to Service Pack 2 either.
    Find it here if you didn’t get it earlier. Blackberry Desktop Software V4.2 Service Pack 2
    Keep in mind that there is two different versions of Service Pack 2. One with the Roxio Media Manger and one without the Roxio Media Manger.

If you need directions on updating/installing an OS that is located here:
    How to: OS 4.x Upgrade for your Blackberry

8. Trackball Cleaning
    This subject is a touchy one. The trackball itself will eventually get stained and will NEVER be white again sorry it’s just one of those facts of life. You can try and clean it with a Q-Tip and some denatured rubbing alcohol, but it’s stained.

This subject I’ve had firsthand knowledge and experience. Eventually, but hopefully not soon your trackball (pearl) will act up. Mostly I believe because I kept it in my pocket. It will decide one day not to scroll in a particular direction.

Compressed Air
    Pushing down on the trackball while rolling
    Piece of paper to dislodge whatever might be causing the problem
    Removal of the Trackball Assembly and more compressed air

None of those solutions worked for me, then came rizzo70 to the rescue with this thread.
    Easy trackball removal and cleaning this involved removal of the trackball assembly, HOT water, and some dish soap. Please read carefully and through the entire thread.

NOTE: This is a do at your own risk project…and a last resort. Remember you pearl has a 1 year manufacture warranty. Use it if you are not comfortable with disassembly of your pearl. We take no responsibility in your actions.

Another thread

9. Bluetooth File transfer
    write up thanks to bk1
    How to Transfer a File using Bluetooth between two BlackBerry Pearl 8100 smartphones

You can send and receive files, using Bluetooth wireless technology, between Blackberry Pearl 8100 smartphones by completing the following steps

1. Enable Bluetooth on your BlackBerry Pearl
    2. Make the sending and receiving BlackBerry Pearl discoverable.
    3. Pair the two BlackBerry Pearl 8100 smartphones.
    4. Set the Trusted field to Yes on both BlackBerry Pearl 8100 smartphones.
    In the Bluetooth application, highlight the BlackBerry Pearl and press the Menu button
    Select Device Properties
    Set the Trusted field to Yes
    Press the Menu button and select Save
    5. Send and receive the transferred file

On the recipient’s BlackBerry Pearl:
    On the Home screen click Media
    Click a media type (Music, Video, Ring Tones, Pictures).
    Press the Menu button and select Receive using Bluetooth. The File Transfer dialog box appears, followed by a prompt to Save or Cancel the file
    Click Save to save the file to the current location or click the folder icon to save the file in a different location.
    On the Sender’s BlackBerry Pearl
    On the Home screen click Media
    Click the same media type selected on the recipient’s BlackBerry Pearl
    Press the Menu button and select Send Using Bluetooth
    When prompted to select a smartphone click the recipient’s BlackBerry Pearl 8100 smartphone

*This does work with Non-pearl devices also. Just make sure they're paired and USE the SEND/RECEIVE Using Bluetooth Option.

10. Rouge Email Icon/Miss Call Icon write up thanks to cp6169
    How To: Delete messages that wont delete
    If you have a message that won’t delete no matter what you do try this.
    Plug BB into pc
    Open Desktop Manager
    Click Backup and Restore
    Click the Advanced Tab

On the right hand side you will see Device Databases, find Browser Messages, Messages, MMS Messages, PIN Messages, Saved Email Messages and SMS Messages. Hold the control key on your keyboard and left click each one of these that you want to be cleared. The press clear and then press yes to continue.

Another solution maybe just Select your Message Icon, Highlight a date, Hit Menu, Select Mark Prior Read.

For the Missed Call Icon

First of all DON'T delete your call logs.

Open up your Call logs. Look for the contacts with the Missed calls icon.

Scroll to them>Hit Menu(BB button)>select View History.

That should make the icon go away. Along with the one on the homescreen.

11. Camera Shutter Sound
    NO you cannot disable this. There is no option. Sorry.
    Although you can have your headset or Bluetooth headset connected and won’t be able to hear it.

12. Blank MMS
    This is a known issue with the T-Mobile network. There isn’t a known solution. Still trying to trouble shoot this one.
    Best thing to do when this happens is complain to T-mobile so they will fix it.

13. Re-sending Service Books/ Re-registering to your Network

Re-sending Service Books
    This is pretty straight forward. Basically navigate to your BIS via your PC.
    T-mobile go here:
    AT&T go here:
    Other carriers BIS is usually found on your carriers site and within your account.

First you need to log into your account via either links above.
    T-mobile customers you need to navigate down to the link Setup Blackberry Internet Email

Both should have a link to Service Books on the left hand side.
    Select it.
    It should come to another screen with a button to Send Service Books. Select it.

Once sent you should get some Emails from each of your Email accounts referring to Activation.

Re-registering to your Network
    On your BB navigate to:
    Options>Advanced Options>Host Routing Table>Menu Button>Register Now

14. Upgrading and Reinstalling or (Downgrading) your OS

How to: OS 4.x Upgrade for your Blackberry or How To: Downgrade Operating Systems

15. Stop disappearing SMS, MMS, Email, and Call Logs
    How To: Stop Disappearing SMS/MMS/E-mail/Call Logs

16. How to: Install or Remove a MicroSD Chip

I hope this helps everyone! If there is a broken link or something is incorrect let me know I will correct as soon as possible. Thanks!
    Last edited by reddog187; 02-13-2008 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Updated

cscastro no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Blackberry Mini FAQ Common Issues

sorry, i tried searching the forum for my proplem and nothing showed up.
    My screen went grey as i was trying to make a call. I got home plugged it into the wall and it looked normal again. When I went to make another call and it wasnt going through i looked and my screen was grey again.
    Im just a basic phone user that fell in love with the phone,I dont do any of the crazy computer stuff on it i.e files and stuff..just calls/text anyone have any suggestions?

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!

cscastro welcome to pinstack

first i have heard, it ONLY happens when you go to make the call? you click send, pick the number and dial and then it goes to the grey screen?

how long have you had your pearl?

amy182281 no está en línea Stack level 1

I dont know if this is the right place to ask ...
    But ..
    I downloaded a theme and used the USB to send it to my Pearl. How to I activate the theme? The Manager says its on the Media Card but I cant find it when I look on the phone.
    Help please.

BigHulkDiese no está en línea Stack level 4
    Amy, you can't add the theme to the media card. You must install the theme using your Desktop Manager via "Application Loader". Once you add via Application Loader you will probably need to do a Hard reset (either remove the battery or Alt+right shift+delete). Make sure the theme you downloaded was for your specific model or it will not work.

rashard no está en línea Device Pro
    Nice write up Red, but maybe make this for pearl users, I have the 8310 and notice a few differences.
    It takes many professionals versed in many different area's to help the masses, I am just a single drop in that pool.

Crav no está en línea Stack level 1
    What?! Surely you guys know YouTube is alive and well for the blackberry! My wife and I have been successfully watching it for about 2 weeks now on our Pearl however has been a recent thing though. When I tried it in late March the site said it did not yet support my device. 1 week later though and it did!~via BB (

cuggi5 no está en línea Stack level 3
    im having trouble transfering to the media card...on the left there is no option to switch it from device memory to media please.