Research in Motion is under attack in the smartphone arena from Apple's iPhone and a ... BlackBerry News forum

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

BlackBerry maker takes fight to rivals

Advertisement

Research in Motion is under attack in the smartphone arena from Apple's iPhone and a host of Google-inspired Android devices so Jim Balsillie, co-chief executive of the company that makes the highly successful BlackBerry, has decided to take the fight to the opposition.

He came to the San Francisco Bay Area this week, home of its rivals, for a developer conference with the aim of proving RIM could match them in the still hottest part of the mobile market.

Read more
    Last edited by cherrichiodo; 11-14-2009 at 12:39 AM.

dakid2k6 no está en línea Stack level 3
    I get a 404 error when I click read more.

This sounds good, can't wait to see what RIM does to really compete againest those others. I Love My berry and would love that RIM add more cool things.

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    try the link again Financial Times puts a limit on number of articles you can read and have some serious copyright T&C's ...

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    I actually posted about having a slide out keyboard in the thread about what I would like to see in future BB's. If this actually come to life, I would stay with the BB and save my upgrade for however long it took to get it out LOL Here's the post I made:

"I just thought of this one due to the phones coming out with 2 keypads (like the LG EnV series or Samsung phones). I would like to see a BlackBerry with a numeric keypad for texting and calling. Then open up the phone to get to a QWERTY keypad for email/chat/social networking." I mean, a BB IS a messaging phone, correct?? There are a SLEW of them coming out and I was looking to go that route anyway. My dream BB would be this: Stuff the BB OS in a messaging phone format with a sliding keypad or 2; give it an interface like the Storm, iPod Touch/iPhone, or a Touch Flo/Wiz UI; and put it on EVERY carrier available, CDMA and GSM.
    Last edited by EricaJ1073; 11-14-2009 at 01:25 AM.

dakid2k6 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Thanx the link works now. ^i like that idea of the slide out keyboard. I would like to see that happen. I can see the storm2 with a slide out keyboard. Hmmmmmmm

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    I don't even use the slide out keypad on my Droid and I wouldn't have used it on The Storm 2 even if it would have been an option. I was the same way on my first touch smartphone which was an HTC 6800. If they can perfect the touch keypad it is pointless to have a physical one. Texting on the Storm2 is just as easy if not easier than it ever was on my 8330, Tour, or the HTC6800.

artiesberry no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    32146C01
    I would like a Slide out keyboard. Even a Storm2 on Sprint would be nice. Since I'm dreaming; 1GB of internal memory

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    I hope RIM is able to quickly implement the changes needed for them to stay near the top. I am enjoying my Droid but it is by no means the phone to beat all phones. There are ways where it far outshines the BlackBerry and many ways where BlackBerry does things better. I was ready for a change, but I'm certainly not ready to walk away from BlackBerry forever. There just wasn't one out now that I wanted....the Droid will give me something new to learn and enjoy while I wait to see what RIM can come up with over the course of the next year or so.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

wclyffe no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23D3F4C2

Arrow Time Marches On....

IMHO, I just want to point something out after being a BB user for many, many years until I gave up and purchased an iPhone 3Gs. RIM has been deadly slow in upgrading their OS from a text driven OS to a graphic one. They have also been embarrassingly slow to respond to MAC users at all until this year with a modest Desktop Manager. I read the article and I can get as excited as all of you in this thread (and you all have some great ideas for the future), but the proof is in the actions.

I've heard people scream when the thumbwheel turned into a trackball. I've watched when the old expansive keyboard started to get smaller and very cramped. But at no time have I seen this company get truly inventive in their hardware design, nor have I seen any real extensive development overhaul in their software (OS). They have produced way too many models of similar phones with nothing very innovative. By no means am I counting RIM out, but they need to hit the gas pedal, and hit it hard, or companies like Motorola, Apple, HTC, and Google (Android) will continually erode the fabulous position they have achieved in the marketplace. What Apple has done in just 2 years is extraordinary, and I'm sure they will continue to push even harder.

The BB user of yesterday (and today) used to talk about two things almost continually on this great website & forum. First, was how great a BB was for email..."nothing could match it". And secondly, the fact that they would never give up a "real keyboard". Well, truth be told now, there are many choices for phones to check your email and with real keyboards. I have a friend in the IT business for huge corporations and they are all talking about the transition of moving some of their base operations over to the iPhone because the demand is so high by their upper level employees. This is RIM's stronghold, and if they do not get competitive in the hardware and software arena, I foresee a continual erosion taking place. Just my thoughts....
    Last edited by wclyffe; 11-14-2009 at 06:15 PM.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by wclyffe View Post
    They have also been embarrassingly slow to respond to MAC users at all until this year with a modest Desktop Manager. I read the article and I can get as excited as all of you in this thread (and you all have some great ideas for the future), but the proof is in the actions.

I've heard people scream when the thumbwheel turned into a trackball. I've watched when the old expansive keyboard started to get smaller and very cramped. But at no time have I seen this company get truly inventive in their hardware design, nor have I seen any real extensive development overhaul in their software (OS). They have produced way too many models of similar phones with nothing very innovative. By no means am I counting RIM out, but they need to hit the gas pedal, and hit it hard, or companies like Motorola, Apple, HTC, and Google (Android) will continually erode the fabulous position they have achieved in the marketplace. What Apple has done in just 2 years is extraordinary, and I'm sure they will continue to push even harder.

The BB user of yesterday (and today) used to talk about two things almost continually on this great website & forum. First, was how great a BB was for email..."nothing could match it". And secondly, the fact that they would never give up a "real keyboard". Well, truth be told now, there are many choices for phones to check your email and with real keyboards. I have a friend in the IT business for huge corporations and they are all talking about the transition of moving some of their base operations over to the iPhone because the demand is so high by their upper level employees. This is RIM's stronghold, and if they do not get competitive in the hardware and software arena, I foresee a continual erosion taking place. Just my thoughts....
    I agree with this post.

1) I ALMOST bought a MacBook earlier this year when I was shopping for a new laptop, UNTIL I remembered that they hadn't supported the BB yet. And I didn't want to move to an iPhone just because I buy a MacBook, so I toughed it out until I found my current PC. But, as a more portable solution unless I buy a netbook first, I may still purchase the MacBook Air I want one day.

2) I adjusted well in my transition from the trackwheel (950, 7730 and 71xx series) to the trackball (81xx series). What got me was the keyboard. I literally cramped for a WEEK when I went from my last 8100 to the 8120. Don't know why that happened because the keys are larger on the 8120. I also got an iPod Touch for my birthday and found I was able to type just as fast, if not faster, than on the 8120 or any other phone I have ever had. But I still won't purchase an iPhone (I may inherit it one day but that's a different story LOL).

3) I switched from my 8120 to a different phone for a month because I wanted a full keyboard. BUT problems with the email system for one of my accounts on the other phone is what drove me back to the BB (don't know why because I never had that problem before on that particular phone). My AOL account was bouncing back on the other phone I was using at the time and everyone was complaining that it wasn't working. In fact, I just found out today that an email I sent out weeks ago never made it to the recipient. I need reliable email delivery.

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    BB for life!
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

manoffire21 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30bd08b8
    i honestly feel the same way. ive always loved bb but they are going down the tubes fast with no end in sight. i have th iphone 3g now n i love it. and email on it surpasses the bb imho. just my 2 cents
    storm 9530
    PIN: 3051C125

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by wclyffe View Post
    I have a friend in the IT business for huge corporations and they are all talking about the transition of moving some of their base operations over to the iPhone because the demand is so high by their upper level employees. This is RIM's stronghold, and if they do not get competitive in the hardware and software arena, I foresee a continual erosion taking place. Just my thoughts....
    I agree and posted in another thread about how many businesses are switching over the BYOP (Bring Your Own Phone). Many are already using exchange and more devices are offering exchange options. A lot of money can be saved by having the employee bring their own device of choice. Voice and Data plans are not cheap and when you have hundreds or thousands of users it really adds up.

So rather than a business giving out the Blackberry device and paying for the BES per client fee along with the Voice and Data Plan they are looking at this new approach and saving money. Many Stackers along with myself have also mentioned RIM can't rely on the Business user anymore and this is just another reason why. They really do need to step it up and make some serious changes.

Even tho I feel this way I still love the BB and after carefully weighing out the individual needs still recommend certain models to people. It still comes down to what a person needs a phone to do but the days of RIM counting on the corporate user are all but over.

wclyffe no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23D3F4C2

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post
    Even tho I feel this way I still love the BB and after carefully weighing out the individual needs still recommend certain models to people. It still comes down to what a person needs a phone to do but the days of RIM counting on the corporate user are all but over.
    Further confirms what we are all seeing.....

More growth seen for iPhone in business
    by Ken Ray (RSS feed) on Nov 24th, 2009

Support continues to grow for the iPhone in the enterprise. TBI Research (subscription required) says Apple's answer to telephony is gaining ground in business, thanks largely to employees and execs grabbing an iPhone for personal use and deciding they just have to have it for work as well.

TBI sees the iPhone having trouble in two of the biggest industries in the US. Government and finance are likely to keep favoring Research in Motion's BlackBerry, though Apple could take enough of the rest of the sectors to make up for what it misses. "The two industries we see as the least likely of switching from Blackberries are Finance and Government," says a TBI research note. "These are huge industries, but they make up only 20% of the total US workforce. That still leaves 80% of the total 150 million US workforce."

Meanwhile TBI sees iPhone adoption ramping-up aggressively in industries such as media, entertainment, hospitality, transportation, and consumer packaged goods.

TBI's report dovetails nicely with a report at the beginning of the month from Deutsche Bank analyst Chris Whitmore. Early in November, Whitmore said he expected to see 2 million iPhones in the enterprise market by the end of this year, giving Apple roughly 7% of the business end of smartphones in the US.