Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

There is an article on cnet that should put all BlackBerry users on guard. We ... BlackBerry News forum

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!

BlackBerry is Vulnerable to Spyware

Advertisement

There is an article on cnet that should put all BlackBerry users on guard. We often times are comfortable with the level of security the RIM devices provide, but think again. While many of us will never run into an issue, it is out there and this is a good warning to all of us as smartphone users to be careful.

"Tyler Shields, a senior researcher at the Veracode Research Lab, has written a piece of spyware that allowed me to shoot an SMS command to his phone and have his contact list forwarded to my e-mail address in a demonstration. With another short text command, I was able to get his BlackBerry to e-mail me any SMS messages he sends.

And if I had wanted--and he had allowed me--I could have seen a log of all his calls, monitored his inbound text messages, tracked his location in real-time based on the GPS (Global Positioning System) in his device and turned his microphone on to listen to conversations in the room and record them."

Read More: http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-10...=2547-1_3-0-20
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Great reminders, it's always important to stay on your toes with security issues.

Watch the video for more information also.

PIN/ID
    Apple
    Makes you love Linux even more.
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; Nexus One Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17

I will have to check out the video when I get home. I read the article and posted this from my phone, no flash yet so video wont work.
    Twitter? My Apps List

cornelious0_0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    235B134C
    Generally I've always followed PC security practices on my Bold, all that's changed now is people are being made aware of some of the consequences.

Good job on the article posting though, definitely nice to have something to point people towards as a reference.

Quote Originally Posted by BHP77 View Post
    Makes you love Linux even more.
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; Nexus One Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17
    I admit to knowing little about Linux, but I'm sure it has vulnerabilities. The more popular Android becomes, the more the hackers will find and exploit those vulnerabilities.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Just watched the video, crazy stuff.
    Twitter? My Apps List

RayZ no está en línea Stack level 5
    This is frightening! To know that someone could easily do these commands, and you would know nothing about it. Would enabling the firewall and configuring it to block incoming sms, mms, BIS, ect and "except messages from contacts" checked, protect you?

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Keep in mind someone would have to install the client on the BB first in order to have all that happen. So they would need access to your BB long enough to install an App without you knowing.

RayZ no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post
    Keep in mind someone would have to install the client on the BB first in order to have all that happen. So they would need access to your BB long enough to install an App without you knowing.
    This is true...and if you install an app that is "infected", then your're dead in the water. The damage is done. I think this will indeed make me think twice about DL apps and just clicking "yes" to trust, and giving the app full privilege. Thanks for the good info azstar.

PIN/ID
    Apple
    Quote Originally Posted by azstar View Post
    I admit to knowing little about Linux, but I'm sure it has vulnerabilities. The more popular Android becomes, the more the hackers will find and exploit those vulnerabilities.
    Tomorrow I'll post some links for some great reading about Linux. In short it does a great job of protecting itself. It also does a great job of managing its self and this is why a task manger for android is not needed despite what 90% think.

ealvnv no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    As the article say, setting the permissions correctly will. Protect you even from this type of attacks, that is something like a built in antivirus for the blackberry, so reason to be scared but at the same time reason to learn more how thw security settings works and how to set the permissions, what to set to allow and what deny.

As for linux it sure have flaws, eventually they will exploited, isn't that hacks what the developers do to root and add custom ROMs to an android devices?

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Looks like it's time to get familiar with and pay attention to the different permissions settings when you install a new app and not just blindly give it permission for everything. I guess we're going to have to know WHAT permissions an app needs in order to function but those that have access to contacts, emails, etc. will have to be thought over before allowing.

Needless to say if you're like me, you already have given total permission for any app you're running that asked for it.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

boomermarkovich no está en línea Stack Professional
    Here's an anti spyware that works pretty well. http://www.mobireach.com/upload/892/43892/Kisses.jad

Kisses detects and reveals hidden programs and processes. It also detects and removes well known spyware like FlexiSpy, Mobile Spy and PhoneSnoop. Additionally, you can list all running processes on your handheld and drill down on each process to get further information on it.

The latest release, Version 1.0.5 adds the following:

Full support for BlackBerry Storm touch screen interface
    Signature update to detect & remove the latest version of Mobile-Spy
    Additional UI and internal improvements.
    Last edited by boomermarkovich; 02-08-2010 at 10:18 AM.
    Your gene pool needs a lifeguard

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by boomermarkovich View Post
    Here's an anti spyware that works pretty well. http://www.mobireach.com/upload/892/43892/Kisses.jad
    Any description of what it does or how it works before I download?
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast