Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

My 14 year old daughter uses the 8100 and my 16 year old son uses ... BlackBerry News forum

RayZ no está en línea Stack level 5

Advertisement

My 14 year old daughter uses the 8100 and my 16 year old son uses the 8120... neither of them have data. And the 8120 is NOT configured for the secure WiFi here at home. I am the only one that knows the PSK... I feel that as technology advances our children need to keep up, with our supervision of course. Parental control is the key.

kayhites717 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!!
    Wow. I guess I am behind the times. I would NEVER dream of getting my stepdaughter a Blackberry when she was 15 or 16, much less 13 or younger? What has happened to our kids childhood? I understand we live in a changing world and technology is advanced and all around us. But a blackberry? Why not give them an internet ready phone? With email and yahoo messenger. And really, unless u have data blocked, ur child can still access the internet without a data plan. And lemme be the one to say, you can take all these precautions, and with teenagers, where there is a will, there is definitely a way. U don't know what they r using that phone for at school, or when they are away from u. It is so easy to clear the cache on a phone. I thought I took every precaution necessary with my daughter and her cell phone, and I still found out later she had been dabbling in "sexting" and the whole thing just scares the crap outta me. I'm not in any way knocking or berating any parent who gives their child a blackberry, to each his own, and not all kids are the same, but I urge u, for the safety of ur kids, have their messages fwd to ur phone. Monitor them so closly. And its NOT an invasion of privacy, its caring enough about ur kids to protect them. Wow. When I was growing up things were SO different, maybe I'm just getting old.... Lol
    BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    Quote Originally Posted by kayhites717 View Post
    Wow. I guess I am behind the times. I would NEVER dream of getting my stepdaughter a Blackberry when she was 15 or 16, much less 13 or younger? What has happened to our kids childhood? I understand we live in a changing world and technology is advanced and all around us. But a blackberry? Why not give them an internet ready phone? With email and yahoo messenger. And really, unless u have data blocked, ur child can still access the internet without a data plan. And lemme be the one to say, you can take all these precautions, and with teenagers, where there is a will, there is definitely a way. U don't know what they r using that phone for at school, or when they are away from u. It is so easy to clear the cache on a phone. I thought I took every precaution necessary with my daughter and her cell phone, and I still found out later she had been dabbling in "sexting" and the whole thing just scares the crap outta me. I'm not in any way knocking or berating any parent who gives their child a blackberry, to each his own, and not all kids are the same, but I urge u, for the safety of ur kids, have their messages fwd to ur phone. Monitor them so closly. And its NOT an invasion of privacy, its caring enough about ur kids to protect them. Wow. When I was growing up things were SO different, maybe I'm just getting old.... Lol
    agreed, 100%! i turn the wifi off in my house at night bc my son will most definitely either get on the ipod touch or the psp. i caught him outside, on the side of the house tapping into the unlocked wifi the neighbor has! as you said, where there is a will, there is a way the other night he had a friend over and when i finally made them go to his room, it was around 1am and i watched as the friend walks to my sons room, while texting. i told him cell off and he acted so surprised. its a wonder what some parents are oblivious to or for that matter, refuse to believe.

how do you get their messages forwarded to you? can you get both sent and received? i have the parental controls for times, and who he can/cannot call or text (his phone shuts off to everyone but me/dad after 10pm and back on at 7am).

kkwus74 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    320FB874
    Wow...I gave my 3 year old son my 8130 last week when he's at the sitter's place so if he wants to call me for any reason he can.I turned off data and only allow calls to me...I know he's pampered.but I really wanna have the peace of mind when he's at the sitters house.hmmm...abit too much?
    BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.40 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104

PIN/ID
    Ask Me!!
    Yes, there is a program, cherri. Either through third party or through your phone company. Its almost like a spyware BUT was created by a law inforcement officer. I saw his on Dr. Phil actually. the creator actually encourages this program to be used with ur kids knowledge. But, what it does is sets up their phone where it is directly linked to your phone or to an email account. Every message, phone call, sent or received will be duplicated and sent directly to your phone or email. Whether its media, or sms, messenger, etc. ATT I know for sure has a similar program. They also allow you to set time limits on the usage of your childs phone. You set at what times, through the carrier or ur online account when the phone will or will not operate. The phone will actually "shut down" so to speak at YOUR desinated cut off time. I know a lot of you may think this is a horrible invasion of privacy on your kids. I HOWEVER do not. It is our job as parents to be that, PARENTS. Not their friend. And its all in how you approach your child with this program as well. If u tell them you are doing this not to infringe on their social life, but to protect them, it shouldn't matter. And BOTTOM LINE IS, your kids know what u deem as acceptable and unacceptable. And if they aren't doing anything that would break ur rules, then why should it bother them for u to know. I do believe ther is a certain amount of respect to be maintained. And ya'll know what I mean by that. Cherri, go to the Dr. Phil website, he has a direct link and article on this specific product and how to purchase it. You can never protect ur babies too much, give them freedom, but protect them too. sorry I'm so long winded. I'm just very passionate about this subject.

boomermarkovich no está en línea Stack Professional
    My son got his first cell phone for his 15th bday. It was a pay as you gophone. He got 30 a month after all of his reponsibilities were met. School work, grades, trash, lawn and so on. if he burned it up texting or talking he had to pay above and beyond what we gave him. He learned real quick that nothing in life is free and that you have to work to earn things. By the way he graduated high school top 5% and is in the air force the last two years. Pays his own bills.Call me old fashioned but kids need to be taught real life lessons. You want it. You work for it.
    Last edited by boomermarkovich; 07-28-2009 at 06:38 PM.
    Your gene pool needs a lifeguard

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    for anyone interested:

my mobile watchdog (monitor your kids cell phones from the web) -- I have sent them a request to demo their product. I'll post up if they reply back

PIN/ID
    Ask Me!!
    ^^^ that would be the one, Cherri! Good job finding it! Yay!

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Cool, thanks for sharing, Cherri and Kay. My kids aren't old enough yet to have cell phones (my 8 year old has already started asking for one, though!), but I will definitely be wanting something like this for when the time inevitable comes!

rashard no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    208FBA40
    Cool yeah ill be looking for this, I spent last weekend letting the twins take turns, driving me around the neighbor hood (wouldnt let them cross any major streets... It was a little nerve racking, but they should be getting their permits this weekend or next week... So yeah going to have to keep an eye on where they are :O
    It takes many professionals versed in many different area's to help the masses, I am just a single drop in that pool.

BXXXX[:::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12