Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I gave my 14 year old son my old 8120 for "graduating" the 8th grade. ... BlackBerry News forum

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

BlackBerry Creators asked: A device, just for kids?

Advertisement

I gave my 14 year old son my old 8120 for "graduating" the 8th grade. I removed the browser service books, hid the mail icons and all he uses it for is TXT, calls and an MP3 player (4gb sdcard). I do not intend to ever purchase a data plan for him. If he wants email, etc. he can use the laptop here at home. I personally think that the youth of today grow up faster because of cell phones and the internet.

Today, at the annual general shareholders' meeting, a child asked RIM creators "Are you going to make a phone more for kids so that my Mom will let me get one?".

The world's No. 2 smartphone maker has so far aimed its near-ubiquitous BlackBerry mobile phone mostly at executives, with U.S. President Obama being its highest-profile user.

The child's question met with hums and haws by RIM Co-Chief Executives Jim Balsillie and Mike Lazaridis before they summoned up a vague response.

"There's lots of opportunity and, you know, if the current BlackBerries aren't acceptable to your mother, hopefully the next ones will," Lazaridis said.
    I can't imagine a BlackBerry just for kids. I think "child" is going a little too far ... teenager is ok, as they are buying iPhones and other Smartphones, so why not a BlackBerry?

Read more

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    My nephew who's gonna be in the 8th grade wants a blackberry pearl, he
    Said that the blackberry messenger is a big hit with kids around his age these days.
    I let him mess with my old pearl, he was just so thrilled by it and so
    Excited that I almost teared up.

I started to think that a blackberry for an 8th grader was a little bit
    Too much phone for someone of that age. Then he started talking about how
    He has an xbox, itouch, psp and his own computer and how he takes care of them
    And understands that these things cost money. He also went on to say that he would
    Like to go ahead and get a job to help pay for the data plan.

I think that if he's willing to get a job to help pay for his device and is
    Willing to take on the responsibilty to own such a device, why not. He was excited by the fact
    That you could try different operating systems,themes and the other usefull things that the dektop manager provides.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    My 11 year old daughter uses a Pearl, no data. Perfect for her.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

lynafradera no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    249E39E8
    My 7 ask for a phone for her 8 birthday, I bought her a cheap nokia, she went," Noooo I Ask for a blackberry" she thinks can handle a pearl cause is half my bold. Kids!

caustic no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask
    I see very few reasons for a child under the age of 12 even needs a basic phone, nonetheless a PDA of any sort. Oh, yeah I forgot....when my 11 year old is out with his girl friend and he is running behind and is going to be late for curfew he needs to call his mother or me to tell us what's up..or when he is outside in the yard playing hide n seek with the neighbors kids and it's getting dark, he can call and beg to stay out later...oh, wait, i forgot about their emails...forgot that all those Webkin emails are so important to justify paying 20-30 bucks extra a month for their data service...lets not forget about the other 9 addresses they have to keep track of...and the berry messenger service...they have soo many friends who use blackberry that it is more convenient to use messenger than to sms...sorry but I don't see any relevance between a game console or a pc and the use of a smart phone by a child..I sold for Verizon for several years and my experience with children getting berrys were usually families of means whose child usually was a student at one of the local elite private schools and that social order to either match what their friend uses or to out do their voyager or dare, was a large part of their purchase reasoning. I hated selling a berry that was going to someone's 6th grader...what a waste of the phone. I want my 8, 11 and 13 year olds to know that they are 8, 11 and 13 year olds and not adults..
    Just my two cents worth about pda's and children...
    Oh, btw, isn't society having a hard enough time monitoring their children and the 'net? So its safer for them to carry the web in their pocket along with the other capabilities that these devices offer?
    No matter what, children are children, these days we have to remind them that much more than when I was their age...

C.
    Last edited by caustic; 07-15-2009 at 11:41 AM.
    "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    My son got his 1st phone in 8th grade, he didn't need one any sooner but I know there are many reasons younger kids can need one. He got his 1st smartphone last year at age 15, my old 8130 pearl. He hates it btw, can't wait for another non-blackberry smartphone.

He has a data plan, uses it for browsing, email, texting, docs to go for school papers and presentations and rarely uses BBM. I randomly snatch his phone out of his hand and check the browser history, his emails and texts, and search his media card for hidden files. Yes I am aware that he has access to things I may not want him to see, but even if I didn't let him have it on his phone, his friends at school would show it to him on theirs. So all we can do as parents is talk to our kids about the tools in their hands and try to teach them how to use them responsibly. Every family has to handle it their own way.

But I think for RIM to develop a BB just for kids would be a silly waste of time, glad to see that they shrugged it off.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

walkiniceberg no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21D45768
    Good point AZ, I got my little brother a G1 with data plan for his birthday, he loves it. However he doesn't use all the features. Its mostly a Youtube toy. As for a Blackberry for kids? I say no. I honestly don't think that kids in his age group have BBM, a use for push email, or the understanding of what the capabilities of this device are. If they want a toy, get em an iphone. Plain and simple

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    An iphone is the same thing, or is there an age limit that a child should be to be able to have push email or pull email?

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    Quote Originally Posted by caustic View Post
    I want my 8, 11 and 13 year olds to know that they are 8, 11 and 13 year olds and not adults..
    Just my two cents worth about pda's and children...
    Oh, btw, isn't society having a hard enough time monitoring their children and the 'net? So its safer for them to carry the web in their pocket along with the other capabilities that these devices offer?
    No matter what, children are children, these days we have to remind them that much more than when I was their age...
    couldn't have said it better myself. both my kids received bottom of the line cell phones in the 6th grade. with their extra-curricular activities and me being only one person, they became life lines to my kids while running them around. no internet, just phone. i added txt messaging last year. honestly i added it for me so that I could text them, but we all know i'm about 1% of their text messaging now. at one point they could send picture messages, but that was quickly taken off. you would be amazed at how many parents are oblivious to what their kids are doing and saying with just text messaging. i can imagine if they were able to go online from their phone with zero monitoring. the fact of the matter remains that some kids are mature enough to handle it, some are not. mine fall in the later category.

Quote Originally Posted by azstar View Post
    I randomly snatch his phone out of his hand and check the browser history, his emails and texts, and search his media card for hidden files. Yes I am aware that he has access to things I may not want him to see, but even if I didn't let him have it on his phone, his friends at school would show it to him on theirs. So all we can do as parents is talk to our kids about the tools in their hands and try to teach them how to use them responsibly. Every family has to handle it their own way.
    My kids have finally started deleting stuff bc I have taken their phones so many times with no warning to find stuff I didn't really want to see (the 14 yo more than the 12 yo) but I agree... they will most likely see stuff from friends, etc so you have to make sure you have the lines of communication open and are actively IN your kids business at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by walkiniceberg View Post
    Its mostly a Youtube toy. If they want a toy, get em an iphone. Plain and simple
    My son WON an iPod Touch out of a machine at a local miniature golf/games place...on his second try I have set restrictions for Safari and iTunes and allow him to browse youtube on the wifi. Without those restrictions, I KNOW exactly what he would be browsing kids need structure. they need limits. they need to be able to be KIDS

walkiniceberg no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21D45768
    Quote Originally Posted by cherrichiodo View Post
    couldn't have said it better myself. both my kids received bottom of the line cell phones in the 6th grade. with their extra-curricular activities and me being only one person, they became life lines to my kids while running them around. no internet, just phone. i added txt messaging last year. honestly i added it for me so that I could text them, but we all know i'm about 1% of their text messaging now. at one point they could send picture messages, but that was quickly taken off. you would be amazed at how many parents are oblivious to what their kids are doing and saying with just text messaging. i can imagine if they were able to go online from their phone with zero monitoring. the fact of the matter remains that some kids are mature enough to handle it, some are not. mine fall in the later category.

My kids have finally started deleting stuff bc I have taken their phones so many times with no warning to find stuff I didn't really want to see (the 14 yo more than the 12 yo) but I agree... they will most likely see stuff from friends, etc so you have to make sure you have the lines of communication open and are actively IN your kids business at all times.

My son WON an iPod Touch out of a machine at a local miniature golf/games place...on his second try I have set restrictions for Safari and iTunes and allow him to browse youtube on the wifi. Without those restrictions, I KNOW exactly what he would be browsing kids need structure. they need limits. they need to be able to be KIDS
    Another Good point. Kids need structure. Couldn't have said it better

ted
    ted no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    Seeing as a BB is too much phone for most of the adults I've met I'd have to agree BB is too much for a child. Teenagers are a bit more of a gray area IMO but any kid who's pre-HS doesn't need a smartphone.

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    Quote Originally Posted by cherrichiodo View Post

Agreed Cherri, kids need structure. If we are the parents we need to be, we will provide it!!

THB
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

iheartmybb22 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask :)
    I got my first phone in 8th grade, mostly because I was starting a new school. It was just a regular cell phone. I didn't get a BB until I was in 11th grade, and even then, I didn't use all of the features. It was mostly for texting, making calls and browsing. I think that a BB for kids would be pointless. Kids don't really need phones, much less a BB. I think that kids shouldn't have phones until they're at least in 8th grade or high school. I just don't see a point for kids to have a phone at a young age, especially phones like a BB or even an iPhone. On top of the fact that they could easily lose their phones in school or elsewhere, there's just too many features on both phones that I don't think kids should be using. Like two years ago, my friend's little sister got a BB and she was in 5th grade at the time. I thought that was crazy. What did she even need one for? She's no longer using one, though. She's got some Samsung phone now, which is a bit more age appropriate for her.

rednex7 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Blackberry smartphone is recommended for professional people, more than for kids.
    i think than bb smartphones is only by people professional but if you want buy one for your kids... is your problem.

Lareya no está en línea Stack level 1
    hmmm, I can't help but think of all the "little" kids whose dad or mom allowed them to play with that big clunky "pc" back in the early 80's that you could hook up to a tape drive. most parents would have thought that this too was too much for those kids - but I know 8, 10, 11 year olds who figured out to do things with them. program, ect., Now these kids are making us the next best tech thingy. - just a thought..... I am sure each parent knows best what is appropriate for their child.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast