Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

RIM's BlackBerry App World now has crossed the 2,000 app mark doubling the amount of ... BlackBerry News forum

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!

BlackBerry App World hits the 2,000 App Mark

Advertisement

RIM's BlackBerry App World now has crossed the 2,000 app mark doubling the amount of apps available when App World 1st went live in April. RIM is also making App World available to customers in Italy, France, Germany and Spain later this month and will add Brazil and India to the list later this year.

[Via Bloomberg]

'RIM is “very happy” with the volume of application downloads from App World, said McDowell, who declined to disclose the exact figure. Its programs offer enough variety of music, video, and games for customers to compete with Cupertino, California-based Apple, he said.
    Broad Range
    “I don’t think it matters whether it’s 40,000 or 2,000, you’ve still got a broad range of choice,” McDowell said."

While doubling the number of apps in just a couple months is great, it still can't compare to the over 55,000 choices in Apple's App Store. In searching the web for reaction to this App World announcement I found a variety of opinions. Some were neutral, just stating the facts, but many were quite negative and expressed disappointment. Some of the complaints were that while the number of apps has doubled, there is still such a small collection compared to those for the iPhone. Others complained about the prices, I myself often see games that are $2.99-$4.99 on iPhone are usually $9.99 on BlackBerry. Another big complaint was that finding things on App World is just not easy, the UI and search needs improvement and there's no way to just search through free apps.

So what is your opinion of App World, do you have faith that RIM can make it really work? Do you think comparing it to iPhone's App Store is fair? Do you even have App World installed on your device?
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

Ekzt1nr no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask
    i think comparing the two is fair since that is the main competitor. i dont see why blackberry users pay more than iphone for apps and we are limited to the amount of apps we have. why not have the blackberry app world neck n neck with iphone.

i dont like the UI either...finding stuff does take forever...why not have an option for "new release" or "best rated" and seperate the free from the paid...dont get me wrong, im glad we have an app world, but maybe it just needs to under go sum maintenance.

it would be nice to have ALL blackberry apps made EVER, in the app world. i go to hadango and other app places n they might have sum apps that app world doesnt. sux...keeps me switching back n forth. price is ok...but i could see how sum prices do seem outrageous. sum apps on other sites are cheaper or sumtimes more expensive. idk really, i guess sum are worth the money n sum just seem to be a little too greedy.

all in all, Blackberry App World could use a make-over

congratz on 2000....lets hope that its not mostly fart apps
    Last edited by Ekzt1nr; 07-09-2009 at 01:15 PM.

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Does Apple really have 55,000 aps in it's store? With an iPhone, when is there time to do anything else if you want to keep up with the aps?

IMO, 2000 is plenty to choose from but then many of my aps don't come from there anyway.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

Nice to see so many Apps

I think it's great to see that many Apps for the Blackberry. I'm surprised actually there are that many? Think about it....... When you make an App for the Blackberry how many different Models and OS's do you have to make the App for?
    That would also explain the cost increase when comparing them to other platforms.

If RIM would stop release new models of the same phone and focus on (1) one Operating System the App Store would boom. For now.......It is what it is.......

2000 Apps in one place is great. The Store UI will only get better as more Apps appear and the Categories expand.

App's make the world go around

Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post
    If RIM would stop release new models of the same phone and focus on (1) one Operating System the App Store would boom. For now.......It is what it is.......
    THAT is a good point. I don't know if it's practical or not but there are a LOT more BB models than there are iPhone models!
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Yup good points. iPhone = developers paradise, well almost. On Blackberry there's 4.2, 4.3, 4.5, 4.6, 4.7, 5.0 and then you have all the different screen sizes... the curves, bold, pearl, pearl flip, 8800, and of course the touch screen UI of the Storm. It's a JOB to ensure you support all the BB devices differences.

A good read here: http://www.businessinsider.com/rim-s...legance-2009-7

With that said you can find the PinStack Mobile reader in the BB App world, compatible with all BB's. If you don't have the app world download here: http://forums.pinstack.com/mobile.php

Ekzt1nr no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask
    That is a good point. Went completely over my head...way more models than iphone...but still, a slightly better job on catagorizing new with old n free from paid would be nice....but I've been making do without it
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

I also understand why BB apps are more expensive and have argued that with people in the past. I think it is justified for the developers, but at the same time it just is not beneficial for RIM for it to work out this way. And understanding it doesn't really make it much easier for the consumer to crack open their wallet and pay for it. Thanks for the link Hayden, it is a good read...

I also think that probably thousands of the apps in iPhone's App Store could disappear off the face of the earth and nobody would ever notice their absence...not everything in that 55,000 is a good thing. While I appreciate some potty humor no app store needs over 100 fart apps.
    Twitter? My Apps List

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

Apps

I liked that Article also. Lately seems there have been a few with similar topics. Another one

Apps are exciting and have changed how we use our phones. Remember what it was like before Apps? We used to look at OS updates to answer our needs and we were hoping it would include some new feature or App to do something new.

The App Store or the idea has taken some of the pressure off those who create the OS.

I smile when I think back to the days before Apps when all we had was the standard OS. (What is THAT!)

I read that one too and I wonder if RIM is listening or if they have turned a deaf ear. If they are listening, can they get something out there fast enough to stop a major downward spiral? Do they maybe have some tricks up their sleeves that they just haven't revealed yet?

I realize the iPhone and iPod touch are not the same, but on my iPod Touch I have 6 pages of apps and plenty of room for more, the apps are much larger and more resource intensive yet they are very visually appealing and run so smoothly. Not like the frequent hourglassing I put up with on my 8330 Curve which has substantially fewer applications. I guess it's good that the BB's app selection is smaller, we would just get more frustrated with the limitations of our devices if we were faced with as many choices as iPhone owners but forced to arrow it down to just a few favorites that the device can handle.
    Twitter? My Apps List

ventz no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    I hope they are listening. Some of the comments are exactly my problems with the BB App store. Here's some:

#1 - Price
    ======
    Yes I understand that you need to create different versions (which isn't that bad most of the time for the record), and yes the API doc sucks (or maybe it's not there =)) and it's not documented, and yes it's harder. Still, there is a "magic" price.

To me, I don't have a problem spending $10 in apps. I do have a problem spending $10 on one app that's half-a**.

Apple truly got this right -- $0.99 is the magic price. Then from there you can go to $3.00 for "not junk" and $5.00 for really good stuff.

By RIM setting the price at $3.00 minimum, all the developers automatically set it to at least $5.00 -- so are you really ready to pay $5 for a tip calculator?

Free Apps
    ======
    Complete agree -- there needs to be a sorting/category of free apps.

Search/Load Time
    ===========
    I know it's EDGE, but a paragraph should not take 10+ seconds to load ... really!
    The search needs to be friendlier.

At last, we need more apps! Plain and simple. And if RIM wants that, they need to release well documented APIs with easy to follow examples and even books. If you already know Java, it's still a pain getting into what you need. That, and make everything platform independent. Heck, it's already in Java...why limit it to windows. Most of the developers I know only code on Macs (including myself).

Emilybreanna no está en línea Stack level 1

Themes?

Are they ever going to add themes to app world? I believe it would boost their sales as well as their number of apps because there are hundreds of theme developers out there that would gladly put their work in app world. I know I would post some of mine.

I second one thing ventz said in #3 - the search needs to be friendlier and faster. I find BB Apps slow to respond and a little difficult when looking for something.

aldie no está en línea Stack level 3
    yeah, as stated, all good points....

Quote Originally Posted by Emilybreanna View Post
    Are they ever going to add themes to app world? I believe it would boost their sales as well as their number of apps because there are hundreds of theme developers out there that would gladly put their work in app world. I know I would post some of mine.
    I agree, i'm sure that there are A LOT of people who don't even realize what a theme is. Actually, i know. People will come in to my store who have had a blackberry for two years and be blown away that "your screen doesn't look like mine". With themes in the app store, not only would that be a way to add hundreds of apps(themes) to the store, but it would also open up the store to so many theme makers that aren't develepers per say. It would give those hardworking and devoted theme builders a chance to make some cash, but almost be a reward for people making themes that have been doing it for the BB community for so long to get a peice of the action.

If the free themes that people post here for example that get hundreds/thousands of downloads were also put on the app world for even $1.99 or something for all of the non-pinstack visiting people, that would be huge.

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    I find the whole experiance neausiating. It never fails, when I enter app world it runs fine for 5 to 10 minutes, but after that its so sluggish and eventually just freezez up.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast