Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

In the latest report (September 2009), Distimo notes software programs for Blackberry devices are considerably ... BlackBerry News forum

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

Blackberry App World More Expensive Than iPhone, Android Stores

Advertisement

In the latest report (September 2009), Distimo notes software programs for Blackberry devices are considerably more expensive than comparable apps for competing devices/platforms.

In fact, the average price for apps is more than three times higher than the one for similar apps in the App Store and Android Market, which is sort of unbelievable. There’s not a single category where the average price of an app is lower than its equivalent on the latter two application storefronts, and the more serious, business-related tools are definitely much more expensive. Just look at the difference in fees for apps in such categories as Finance, Productivity, Reference, News, Utility/Tools and particularly, Navigation/Travel in the chart below.

Research In Motion has traditionally targeted more of a business audience with its product line, but is that enough of an explanation why developers are pricing their mobile software programs so much higher than their equivalents on the competing platforms? Or are Blackberry users simply more willing (and able) to pay for apps? If so, than the higher pricing is merely a result of simple relation between offer and demand.

Either way, the difference in pricing is quite clear.

Update: as commenter Cameron correctly points out, the minimum listing price for apps that get distributed on App World is $2.99, which is part of the explanation of the huge pricing differences (I doubt it’s the only reason). Note that the store is open for free applications as well (if they generate revenue after download).

The chart also shows pricing of apps for the most popular listings in Apple’s App Store and Android Market are rather similar, with only Social Networking, Navigation & Travel and Productivity showing a bit of difference in asking pricing.

via TechCrunch

Jbee no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3047D925
    I have always noticed this and just though how wrong it is for blackberry apps that are essentially the same, have a triple-the-cost charge on BB App World. That's why I pulled back on my bb usage and went to MiFi/iPod Touch. A huge cost savings! Just a personal point of view.
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C145 Safari/528.16

dirtypirate no está en línea Stack level 2
    Another instance where RIM is slowly hanging itself in this "phone war" with apple and androids. Businesses may bite at the cost but it will be fewer and fewer. The mass market will continue to turn away simply because of the cost alone.
    BlackBerry8310/4.5.0.110 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102

iamgoofy no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    210ca18d
    my wife and i for now use the bb bold 9000! however after the past 3 years use of bb's and soooooo many refurbished/returns and defective products and att&t still cant our voice mail to work,also mobile backup! we are about to change to the gamin G60 and or the iphone!

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    One thing that makes it harder for BlackBerry development is that there are so many different OS versions and screen sizes. An app that works on a Pearl running 4.2 must be completely reworked to run on a Storm with 4.7 etc. It can be a real nightmare for developers to get apps to work across all of RIM's various devices and versions.....that takes time and money.....and yes, it definitely makes me more likely to buy an app from the App Store and use it on my iPod Touch and only buy what I really need for my blackberry.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    Oh man, things are only going downhill for RIM. For shame!!!! I'm so ready to leave the bb world for good. Well, until they stop their shenanigans
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

planneau no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by raton View Post
    Oh man, things are only going downhill for RIM. For shame!!!! I'm so ready to leave the bb world for good. Well, until they stop their shenanigans
    Are you kidding me! am ready to leave now. I am just waiting for one of the 1Ghz WM 6.5 phones to hit Tmo and I am gone. I might come back to BB. But as for right now, i am ready for a change. RIM hasn't gotten the big picture yet. I hope they do soon. Cause their stocks are going down, and Apple is going up.
    ..........SHAKE N BAKE..........

Jaricanese no está en línea Software Pro
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    They are usually higher because for some reason RIM decides to charge $200 dollars to put an app on App World. Then you get 10 'changes' before you have to pay another $200. Thats ridiculous. That's why many apps on App World that have updates aren't immediately available on there, the developers are trying to save their 'changes'.
    Last edited by Jaricanese; 10-06-2009 at 01:27 PM.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    And that's one reason I don't buy apps from App World ever, I have used it for free apps only, and only used it for the archiving feature. But I have not been able to use App World for over 2 months which brings us to another RIM issue.

For over two months now, commonly used apps like pandora, slacker, poynt, where and many others do not appear anywhere in app world for many 8330 and 8130 users, this is mainly alltel users affected, vzw users don't seem to have it. I have troubleshooted and sent in activity logs to RIM techs and the issue is still not resolved. It has been escalated to more techs and still remains. If users have nothing but trouble with app world, and the prices are ridiculously high...they will not be able keep happy customers.

I also plan on abandoning the BlackBerry platform once my contract is up....come January my curve will be replaced by an android device, my son wants wm 6.5 or android to replace his Pearl, an my mom is leaving her curve possibly for the Pre next month. I know many who are just done with RIM....for many reasons
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    Quote Originally Posted by azstar View Post
    And that's one reason I don't buy apps from App World ever, I have used it for free apps only, and only used it for the archiving feature. But I have not been able to use App World for over 2 months which brings us to another RIM issue.

For over two months now, commonly used apps like pandora, slacker, poynt, where and many others do not appear anywhere in app world for many 8330 and 8130 users, this is mainly alltel users affected, vzw users don't seem to have it. I have troubleshooted and sent in activity logs to RIM techs and the issue is still not resolved. It has been escalated to more techs and still remains. If users have nothing but trouble with app world, and the prices are ridiculously high...they will not be able keep happy customers.

I also plan on abandoning the BlackBerry platform once my contract is up....come January my curve will be replaced by an android device, my son wants wm 6.5 or android to replace his Pearl, an my mom is leaving her curve possibly for the Pre next month. I know many who are just done with RIM....for many reasons

Me too, am all about free and the archiving helps
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

artiesberry no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    32146C01
    Have you seen Beejive? Twice the price for Blackberry.
    Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; MSDigitalLocker; Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1) ; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 2.0.50727)

goldengirl75 no está en línea Stack level 5
    Wouldn't buy anything from their app store.....EVER. If I can find it for free, them I'm all for it.

I'm sooo looking forward to the android phones coming to VZW and if not them, TMO's MyTouch. No more BB for me. Tired of it. Tired, tired, tired.

jhall1986 no está en línea Stack level 3
    And beejive gets updated way more on the iphone and ipod touch then on the blackberry
    BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    RIM needs to make several changes in order to make App World successful.

0. Start over and keep it simple.
    1. Stop releasing so many of the same model phones. Value their Core (2-4 phones) minus the Storm which is their future.
    2. Stop releasing so many different versions of the same OS (Geez) How many different versions of any OS are there on the market? (I lost count)
    3. Stop tailoring to the carrier, make it about RIM and not the carrier. Each carrier gets their own special BB Model and OS.

If they don't make some serious changes in 2010 they are going to see the Android Market and Phones pull away some serious customer numbers. I just don't see it happening and I'm going to predict 2010 will be a bad year for them. People want products that not only work but are easy to use. Catering to the Business user is a dead end and seriously limits their profits among other things.

Lead, follow or get out of the way.

jhall1986 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post
    RIM needs to make several changes in order to make App World successful.

0. Start over and keep it simple.
    1. Stop releasing so many of the same model phones. Value their Core (2-4 phones) minus the Storm which is their future.
    2. Stop releasing so many different versions of the same OS (Geez) How many different versions of any OS are there on the market? (I lost count)
    3. Stop tailoring to the carrier, make it about RIM and not the carrier. Each carrier gets their own special BB Model and OS.

If they don't make some serious changes in 2010 they are going to see the Android Market and Phones pull away some serious customer numbers. I just don't see it happening and I'm going to predict 2010 will be a bad year for them. People want products that not only work but are easy to use. Catering to the Business user is a dead end and seriously limits their profits among other things.

Lead, follow or get out of the way.
    So many good points. Why the heck does Tmobile have 2 curves??
    BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast