Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Yesterday, RIM announced at the BlackBerry Developer Conference, the launch of the NEW BlackBerry Theme ... BlackBerry News forum

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

BBDC: New Theme Studio replaces Plazmic CDK + selling themes in App World

Advertisement

Yesterday, RIM announced at the BlackBerry Developer Conference, the launch of the NEW BlackBerry Theme Studio. If you haven't had the chance to download it, be sure to check out the screenshots in this post for more information on new features as well as what you need to do to get your themes up for sell in BlackBerry App World. Theme Studio offers a bit more in features that we did not see in the Plazmic CDK (i.e., screen transitions, ability to change and customize more including the outgoing call screen, add gradient or images to cursor/menus). I had the opportunity to sit in on "Personalizing the BlackBerry Smartphone Experience: Themes for Beginners", hence the attached screenshots. Pay special attention to the requirements for submitting your themes to App World. You must own 100% of the rights to all elements within the theme itself and RIM assured me that they will be checking. Unlike selling your themes on outlets such as Handango and Mobihand, RIM will be testing/QA'ing your product before it is available on App World.

Download BlackBerry Theme Studio here
    Attached Images Attached Images

luciferseamus no está en línea Device Pro
    just downloaded this new version and started tinkering has a very cool new look to it!
    can't wait to REALLY play with it!
    "If you ever lose your keys in a river of molten lava, let 'em go, cus' man, they're gone!!"-Jack Handey

boomermarkovich no está en línea Stack Professional
    Great find. I'm so glad they finally fixed the bugs in the "Update" that they swore had none. I have already gone back and updated the 9600 themes i've posted here. I also like they included the new bold which i'm sure wasn't too tough since its the same build as the tour.
    Your gene pool needs a lifeguard

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    OH WOW!!! I wanna have one of my themes for sale on the App World. That would totally make my day
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    Quote Originally Posted by luciferseamus View Post
    just downloaded this new version and started tinkering has a very cool new look to it!
    can't wait to REALLY play with it!

It's awesome. Makes 4.7 theme builder look like a piece of crap which was anyway

mixoplex no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    20F3C981

TS 5.0

Yeah.. I am gonna love this thing... So cool

JaidedFocus no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    262A279E
    Would this be a good tool for beginners? I've wanted to start building themes but it looks complicated.
    My Focus may become Jaided but never my determination...

bryer1999 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    30CAC076
    That looks so awsome I cant wait to go home and download it!!!!!!!!!

PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    Quote Originally Posted by JaidedFocus View Post
    Would this be a good tool for beginners? I've wanted to start building themes but it looks complicated.
    It's not difficult at all. That's why I proposed this in an effort to help users such as yourself but hopefully it will get approved. If not a segment on the pscast where the mods can talk about the theme making and what not a thread could help many of you guys.

http://forums.pinstack.com/f232/call...pscast-115701/

luciferseamus no está en línea Device Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by raton View Post
    It's awesome. Makes 4.7 theme builder look like a piece of crap which was anyway
    Agreed!
    4.7 had a lot of bug issues. I'm really likin' the new layout of the 5.0 development studio.
    Can't wait to get home and play with it a bit more

Also, I caught a glimps at the "view theme on blackberry" so now you don't even need a simulator?!?! That's freakin' awesome!!
    Like I said, I CAN'T WAIT TO GET HOME AND PLAY!!!
    Last edited by luciferseamus; 11-10-2009 at 10:54 PM.

ryfoster no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

AWESOME!!!

I started doing some theme building with 4.7 and found it to be very cumbersome...but I am excited to hear this wonderful news!

I will d/l and give it a spin this week hopefully!
    ---
    R. Foster (2 Timothy 2:15)

cbeslash no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    26936cc9
    $200 admin. fee to be able to sell on app world. That blows

PIN/ID
    ATA
    Quote Originally Posted by cbeslash View Post
    $200 admin. fee to be able to sell on app world. That blows
    Ya, I thought the same thing at first considering Apple only charges $100 ... but this is how I broke it down in my head.

Let's say you have 10 really good themes you want to sell in App World. Each one of those themes should be designed and exported for each available device (81xx, 83xx, 8350, 8520, 88xx, 89xx, 9000, 95xx, 955x, 96xx and 97xx). That's 11 different versions. If you sold them for $5 each, then you would make your money back pretty easily. Then you would only pay RIM their 20% of total sales. Even if you loaded up 4 versions of said theme, you'd make your money back with 4 downloads, per theme. Make sense? I am hoping that the administrative fee will promise high quality designed themes and not default themes with poorly sized image backgrounds

Now, the only question is ... out of the 10 allowed apps, does one (1) include all versions? I would think so. I do have it on my list of questions to ask tomorrow when I participate in a round-table with RIM titled "Working with Theme Development" at Developers Day at BBDC

JaidedFocus no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    262A279E
    After downloading this, I've made 3 themes so far. Its not hard like Raton said but I gotta give it to these guys who make themes on a regular basis. It gives me a deeper appreciation for what they do. Like I said, its not hard but the detail that goes into making the themes I see on here and other sites make me a bit apprehensive about showing my own themes. Also when you consider some people make their own icons, banners, backgrounds..Wow! lol. I'm sure ill share eventually, but I gotta make sure its something I'd rock on my BB before putting it out there much less selling it on BBAppWorld. Good job tho guys!

PIN/ID
    ATA
    ^^ thanks for the note many people don't realize how much time it takes to produce a good theme.

I wanted to include some findings for anyone interested. After using the new TB for a day or so, I have found some "bugs" and thought I would pass them along.

- When opening an existing 8900 theme file, the TB will NOT allow you to export it to anything but 9630 or 9700 ... so in a sense, I have to recreate any 8900 themes and re-export.

- The setup bluetooth icon doesn't change over, regardless of what you put in place for that icon.

- SMS today feature does NOT show in the today "space" (this could be 5.0 related. haven't done extensive testing as of yet)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast