Procedure Before making any significant configuration changes to a BlackBerry device (for example, installing or ... BlackBerry News forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Backup process for a BlackBerry device

Advertisement

Procedure

Before making any significant configuration changes to a BlackBerry device (for example, installing or downloading applications, or loading new BlackBerry Device Software), BlackBerry device users should back up the data on the BlackBerry device. In the event of any problems, this will make sure the data (that is as current as of the last backup) can be restored.
    BlackBerry device users can perform a full or selective backup of the data using the Backup and Restore tool in BlackBerry Desktop Manager by completing the following steps:
    1. Connect the BlackBerry device to the computer running BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
    2. Open BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
    3. Double-click Backup and Restore.
    4. Select Backup to perform a full backup or select Advanced to perform a backup of specific databases.
    5. Choose a location to save the backup file, then click Save.
    If you are running BlackBerry Device Software 4.0 or later and the BlackBerry device is connected to a BlackBerry Enterprise Server running software version 4.0 or later, there is a wireless backup process that can archive certain information for BlackBerry device users. Depending on the BlackBerry Device Software version, the following information cannot be archived:

BlackBerry Device Software 4.2
    • Email messages
    • Multimedia Message Service (MMS) messages Note: In BlackBerry Enterprise Server software version 4.1, there is an option for archiving personal information number (PIN) messages and Short Message Service (SMS) messages using an IT policy.
    • Content Store (for example, ring tones and pictures)
    • Group addresses
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.1
    • Email messages
    • MMS messages Note: In BlackBerry Enterprise Server software version 4.1, there is an option for archiving PIN messages and SMS messages using an IT policy.
    • BlackBerry Messenger Contacts
    • Group addresses
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.0 to 4.0 Service Pack 2
    • All message types
    • Saved messages
    • BlackBerry Messenger Contacts
    • Group addresses
    • SureType® Learning Date (through the Learning Data Manager)

moses2628 no está en línea Stack level 6

Re: Backup process for a BlackBerry device

Ever since I downloaded the new desktop mananger for my pearl, I get reminded every week to backup! I do it just to be on the safe side!!!~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

o1sowise no está en línea Stack level 3

Lightbulb

I recently found out, the hard way, that not all backups are the same.:cry:

As an experiment, I ran all types I could think of:
    1. AutoBackup, run automatically by DM (if I've told it to, via the Backup and Restore Wizard options)
    2. LoaderBackup, run when loading/unloading apps via DM (if I've told AppLoader to do so via Advanced options)
    3. Backup, manually invoked via DM's Backup and Restore Wizard
    4. ????, manually invoked by starting the Switch Device Wizard, letting it backup everything (selecting : User data and settings, messages and Third-party apps), then cancelling it after the full backup completes.
    My tests show that the IPD files of all four backups are the same size. What do I make of this? Am I to assume then that they all backup the same stuff? Only backup type four asked me about my personal data, but it was not restored when I used an IPD from a type 3 backup...

Is the restore process flawed, or do I not understand something?