Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Boy Genius Report : If this rumor proves to be true, we’re going to ... BlackBerry News forum

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava

AT&T Downgrades 2G Service

Advertisement

The Boy Genius Report
    : If this rumor proves to be true, we’re going to be a little disappointed in AT&T. Word is big blue has been quietly reallocating its EDGE service to its weaker 1900MHz band, which translates into much weaker coverage. According to AT&T, this move is supposed to reinforce 3G strengthen its HSPA services. While 2G isn’t going to be phased out, this is essentially doing the same for many customers, especially people who are having difficulty with AT&T service already...

Read More
    Last edited by Lavagirl; 01-04-2009 at 07:13 PM.

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

gots2beme no está en línea Stack level 3
    Comment #54:
    "54. I work in Network Ops for AT&T and I can assure you that this couldn’t be further from the truth. In fact we are currently allocating 2G 850MHZ spectrum in many places that were 1900 only to provide BETTER 2G coverage. I don’t know where you got this info but it is completely false."

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f
    If this is true, it wouldn't be fair because majority of their subscribers still have a 2G device.

planneau no está en línea Stack level 5
    why don't they just do away with 2g and just carry 3g. If they claim that will make 3g better, hell just do away with it and offer 3g phones only.
    ..........SHAKE N BAKE..........

Typhoid no está en línea Stack level 2
    This is not true and pure speculation.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

VR
    VR no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by planneau View Post
    why don't they just do away with 2g and just carry 3g. If they claim that will make 3g better, hell just do away with it and offer 3g phones only.

the problem is with the people that got their phone with the 2 year agreement, are you going to shell out money to replace their phones with 3G phones?
    My blackberry is anti-Obama Bin Llama

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by planneau View Post
    PLUS, they don't have 3g coverage everywhere as Lavagirl said in the 1st post!
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

michaelajones no está en línea Stack level 1

If this is true, it burns my noodle. Shoulda gone Verizon?

I have a house in the city and a farm in the country. The house in the city gets excellent AT&T 3G. However, the farmhouse gets barely usable 2G. If they diminish the quality anymore, I will not be able to use my phone there. I considered going to Verizon, and getting a Storm, but I am a keyboard kinda guy, so I got a Bold, only a month ago.

Did I make the wrong decision, not going to Verizon? I love my Bold, but at least I could use the Storm in all places about the same, I think.

Shadowshots no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    Not to be TOO pedestrian, but AT&T sucks!!! I live in the desert near the Grand Canyon. Back when att was wireless they built a tower 2.5 miles from my home. About a year or so later they sold said tower to Alltel. I was told by att that there would be no problem with my coverage or plan. So a couple of weeks ago I went to a brick and mortar store to buy a Bold. They said that due to the fact that more than 50% of my calls were "off network" I am not eligeble for an upgrade. Hell, I had even offered for them to let them build a tower on my land at one time. It seems to me that they are the ones that violated the terms of contract. I am looking forward to my contract running out and will take my business anywhere else!

Shadowshots no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    Err "when att was wireless" should have been Cingular. I get so mad about this that sometimes I can't see/think straight. Sorry 'bout that

diabloboi87 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31cdb8ca
    I was told by a director at AT&T that they were downgrading their 3g network in washington because of some sort of interference, thus after dealing with dropped calls, and unable to make calls ended up leaving them for sprint. Call quality is 10x better then AT&T.

wavelaw no está en línea Stack level 1
    I know everyone who works for AT&T is saying that this rumour is completely false. However, in the last month, I have suddenly lost pretty much any ability to use my phone, which seems like a bit of a coincidence. I have a Blackberry Curve, and about a month ago, I started having serious problems. Now it's even more serious and frequent. I rarely get the Edge network anymore. It's almost always GSM, and when it is, I cannot receive or make calls, get e-mail, get internet, or send/receive texts consistently. I talked to a tech today and he tried to tell me I was in a low service area. That seems a bit strange, as I live in LA... And of course he also told me I could upgrade. Yeah, I could, but how about I just keep paying the same amount and get the service that I paid for...I guess I'm just wondering why, if this isn't a true rumour, everyone I know with AT&T and 2G service is suddenly unable to get any kind of meaningful service.

digitalb0y no está en línea Stack level 1
    Oddly enough, AT&T 2G service has improved in my area. It was absolutely abysmal over the summer but it gradually improved while I was trying to tough it out waiting for the announcement of a better Android phone than the G1.

I finally decided I needed to upgrade and was enticed to stay with AT&T by the Bold, which seems like my best option for a fully-featured smart phone. My coverage does seem to be better and the data is absolutely faster now that my phone switches to 3G and, when available, Wi-Fi, but I paid a lot and there are better BBs on the horizon. Meanwhile, my wife who inherited my Curve is seeing seemingly better coverage than I've gotten on a 2G phone since AT&T took the reigns back from Cingular.

usman no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    207717F1
    another weak move by att

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast