Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

I figured out why my usual host site didn't work. It doesn't do ftp files, ... BlackBerry News forum

Freckles951 no está en línea Stack level 2

Advertisement

I figured out why my usual host site didn't work. It doesn't do ftp files, or at least I can't figure out how it does them. I just used the German site instead. Thanks a ton for this. It was SOOO helpful.

YvesV no está en línea Stack level 1
    I've been trying to get my theme hosted on my domain with no luck. I did everything posted in this thread and I still get the 907 error.

Here's my thread: http://forums.pinstack.com/f28/plazmic_theme_builder_help-111049/

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    The OP has done an outstanding job explaining hosting OTA files but sometimes other questions arise. This is what I saved from the days when I used to host files. Maybe it will help also.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Question: Do i simply post the .jad file as a download link like any other zip file from my site.

Answer: Yes, the .jad file is the starting point that you post as the link for people to point to with the BB browser. You'll also need to place all the .cod files onto the server. The .jad file is a package listing of all the files the OTA action will need to download-- so after you make .jad file set, do not change any filenames because they are all encoded in the .jad file. The number of .cod files depends on how many graphic elements your particular theme has. Some of mine had 4 and some had 10 .cod files.

Question: Is the theme.jad file the only file that is needed when installing OTA. or do i need all those files on the site but only letting the theme.jad be an active link.

Answer: Kind of answered above- you need them all. They are a set of files, with sequential numbers, that are broken up for downloading and reconstructed during OTA. They all need to be in the same folder on the server.

Question: Does the server need certain abilities in addition to what most hosting companies supply?

Answer: Yes- the server needs to have some things enabled. I know that Apache servers are the preferred ones. You also need a file to tell the server how to handle requests. This is a .htaccess file. Note there is nothing preceeding the initial "dot" in the filename. The file needs to have this contents (build with a text-only editor like Notepad):

AddType text/vnd.sun.j2me.app-descriptor jad
    AddType application/vnd.rim.cod cod
    AddType application/java-archive jar
    AddType audio/adpcm adp

This file needs to be in every folder you create on the server with .jad and .cod files. Again, the file name is everything inside the quotes ".htaccess".
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

bluelucky7 no está en línea Stack level 1
    So I've done everything. All the way up to refreshing the ftp directory and when I try to upload it, I still can't. I copy and pasted it in the URL upload section. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I think it has something to do with the fact that the url still shows as ftp not http. Any ideas?

jaguitarxx no está en línea Stack level 1

HELP!

I did all you told us and OH gosh.. how do you get it on the blackberry? I have the BOLD and it keeps having an error.. and i try to get everything on it.. i have the .htacess, all the files etc.. i just dont know what I am doing wrong.

sfrench5 no está en línea Stack level 1
    I'm having trouble with the website, I get up to the point where it says put in ftp username and password and it keeps saying its wrong. Ive checked like 50 times, I'm typing it in right. Any suggestions or english sites where i can do this please let me know s.frenchko@gmail.com

ajaxn2 no está en línea Stack level 2
    this is way awesome thanks!!!!!

mic8310 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    25588d8d
    wow i never thought id create a post thats been looked at over 6000 times!! i know theres always gonna be 'extra' problems and so on, but i hope the majority of the readers have benefited because of it.

these days (might be no different to when i originally wrote this thread, if i knew then what i know now etc etc) i find its even easier to just purchase a domain and a bit of webspace.... you really dont need much at all if all your doing is hosting themes. domains are only a couple of pounds/dollars, and most companys that sell them do some sort of hosting package, or theres plenty of cheap hosting packages on ebay.

anyway, free is always good so take your time to read + look at the first post and write down passwords etc if you get confused easily as the reason for it 'not working' could be a simple typo or mis-interpritation (mixing up username + password for example).

good luck!

exene no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21d984e7
    I need some help with this topic. In basic terms, when I type the http for the jad file I get the HTTP 404 error. NOT FOUND... and the file is loaded via FTP really nice and everything.. what is this idiot doing wrong?

holster27 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    303721d5
    since you are typing it (on your phone I presume) you cant use spaces if you have any in your address. for the berry< spaces are represented by %20 . now i have had luck just emailing myself the link and downloading it that way. dont know if that helps.

PIN/ID
    21d984e7
    Yeah I tried that, I've typed word for word, it has to either be the .htaccess file or I'm dragging and dropping the folder wrong. Using ohost by the way. I've been at this for days. Oh wait the .htaccess file works cause I just zipped the whole .jad folder and sent it to my phone and installed it OTA if that makes sense. I'm doing something wrong with the file host. Ugg!!
    BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.250 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100

graciliano no está en línea Stack level 2

Post From my experince... (learning from my mistakes!)

exene: The .htaccess file has to renamed be .htaccess.txt --with the .txt extenssion! I do not know about dragging and dropping because I do my ftp from the command line (the *.jad and the .htaccess.txt files are ascii, the *.cod files are binaries). P.S. Pay attention to the OTA link name of the .jad file; it has to be something like:
    http://myname.my.ohost.de/themefolder/com_plazmic_theme_themefile.jad
    --graciliano
    Last edited by graciliano; 09-18-2009 at 01:24 PM.

PIN/ID
    21d984e7

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by graciliano View Post
    exene: The .htaccess file has to renamed be .htaccess.txt --with the .txt extenssion! I do not know about dragging and dropping because I do my ftp from the command line (the *.jad and the .htaccess.txt files are ascii, the *.cod files are binaries). P.S. Pay attention to the OTA link name of the .jad file; it has to be something like:
    http://myname.my.ohost.de/themefolde..._themefile.jad
    --graciliano
    What do you mean by ftp by the command line??
    I'm not familiar with ftp. I basically followed OP tutorial and got as far as uploading the files to the server
    but when I change the ftp:// username.us.ohost.de/folder/com_plazmic_theme_8900.jad where the file is located to http:// username.us.ohost.de/folder/com_plazmic_theme_8900.jad it shows up in BB browser as 404 error
    And it shows up in PC browser as like some german date site....
    Oh and I do have the .htaccess saved like this, .htacces.txt
    Is that right? Thanks you guys for trying to help
    BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.250 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100

*UPDATE_____ figured it out
    Last edited by exene; 09-18-2009 at 07:10 PM. Reason: solved

mic8310 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    25588d8d
    might be worth a note that with the .htaccess file, you might have to name it htaccess (without the .) and then rename it to .htaccess when its uploaded. rename it to anything you want to upload it, as long as it is renamed to .htaccess and NOTHING else, it will be ok.

tuner2484 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I can't get this to work! I try to log in and it say Error 503....any help would be greatly appreciated

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast