Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Originally Posted by ccjjr59 I put it on automatic now. I feel like it is ... BlackBerry News forum

theuberprof no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: 8320 How to make it use Wifi when both Wifi and EDGE On

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by ccjjr59
    I put it on automatic now. I feel like it is still using EDGE though, maybe it's just me. I thought that the wifi would make things a little quicker.
    I'm guessing you restored from a previous BlackBerry using Desktop Manager?

If you do a full restore from a previous device (Pearl for me), it will remove the option to set a connection preference. It might be a Service Book entry that is transfered from the old device, but I'm not sure.

The solution is to Wipe Handheld in General Security Options. Then perform an advanced restore using Desktop Manager. Restore only data-- Contacts, messages, URLs, call logs, etc. Leave out service books, options, etc.

By the way, the Automatic option you mention is for selecting between various GSM networks, not between Wi-Fi and GSM/EDGE. You want it to be on Automatic and Wi-Fi Preferred.

The option you need--the one you don't see--is restored only through the process outlined above.

Let me know if you have any questions.
    Last edited by theuberprof; 09-22-2007 at 10:25 PM.

deucedst no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    241F2230

What is price?
    Deucedst

Quote Originally Posted by deucedst
    What is price?
    I'm not sure this is the proper thread for that... Regardless, the 8320's no extension price is $449. You can check with others for the contract pricing. The Hotspot@Home price was $9.99 per month. It may have been raised to $19.99, though.

From a PM: hi, I saw you figured out how to say that Wifi is preferred to EDGE. How do you get to this area in the menus?

Thank you for your help!
    I'd love to reply to your PM, but it seems I need 10 posts before I can.

To get to the option I mention, you must first wipe the handheld. Go to Options > Security Options > General Settings. Press the menu button, then hit "Wipe Handheld."

After it is done wiping, it should act like you just bought it. Go to Options > Mobile Network. You should see three fields that you can change. Data Services should be On, Connection Preference should be Wi-Fi Preferred, and Network Selection Mode should be Automatic.

Now plug the device into your computer, and do an advanced restore from your backup IPD of only data like your address book, messages, etc. You should now be good to go!

ccjjr59 no está en línea Stack level 2

how did you do the backup where you could select which ones you want to restore? I have a file from the backup (full) button and it will only let me restore it all. Advanced didn't have the items on the left to pull onto the phone side.

how did you do the backup where you could select which ones you want to restore? I have a file from the backup (full) button and it will only let me restore it all. Advanced didn't have the items on the left to pull onto the phone side.
    When you hit Advanced while your device is plugged in, the data on the device is displayed on the right. Click File > Open and open the backup file you created. This will display the data from the backup IPD.

On the left, click on the category you want to move to the phone (Address Book, etc), and click on the arrow pointing to the right to transfer it.

thanks for all your help!

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

Under Options, Mobile Network it should look like this:
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

thanks for all your help!
    T-Mobile needs to hire me. I'm sure I was one of the first (if not the first) to tell them this. I think I'm the first to mention this on PinStack as well, but someone did beat me on BlackBerry Forums. :-P

Quote Originally Posted by melissaox
    Exactly. Remember, though, that after a restore to another BlackBerry's IPD, the Connection Preference line will simply disappear.

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Quote Originally Posted by melissaox
    Thanks Melissa. I knew I saw it somewhere.

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

Figured a picture would make a lot more sense than just describing it
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

Ok I got it working after theuberprof's help. One thing to note is that you need to see UMA next to the wifi icon on the home screen or you don't have it set correctly.

T-mobile and RIM need to do something about this because I'm sure a ton of people are going to be using the migrate tool coming from a pearl... I think this is also why people may be having trouble with the @home service also.

Thanks again theuberprof and Melissa!

quiche no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by theuberprof
    I'm guessing you restored from a previous BlackBerry using Desktop Manager?

If you do a full restore from a previous device (Pearl for me), it will remove the option to set a connection preference. It might be a Service Book entry that is transfered from the old device, but I'm not sure.

The solution is to Wipe Handheld in General Security Options. Then perform an advanced restore using Desktop Manager. Restore only data-- Contacts, messages, URLs, call logs, etc. Leave out service books, options, etc.

By the way, the Automatic option you mention is for selecting between various GSM networks, not between Wi-Fi and GSM/EDGE. You want it to be on Automatic and Wi-Fi Preferred.

The option you need--the one you don't see--is restored only through the process outlined above.

Let me know if you have any questions.
    I wasn't getting UMA on my device either. I followed the directions above and I now have UMA. Thanks so much!

merlinw no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23E8081E

I had no problem getting the wifi to work, just a note though, I DID NOT use the computer to transfer all the data from my pearl, only contacts, and calender.

Love it so far..

loader ringer
    good camera
    like the gold color
    opera 4 seems to work fine, have not tried other programs yet, later today I will try the google services.
    my only gripe so far.......

.....the nice leather case, why? NO belt clip!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast