Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

From MacWorld Problems with the trackball on BlackBerry Tour phones have led to return rates ... BlackBerry News forum

KalebsDad78 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask

50 Percent Return Rate for the BB Tour

Advertisement

From MacWorld

Problems with the trackball on BlackBerry Tour phones have led to return rates near 50 percent, an analyst at TownHall Investment Research said.

Users are complaining about the issue in a number of online support forums. They say that they must roll the trackball repeatedly for it to move the cursor on the screen only minimally.

One user said he was on his fourth Tour, after returning the previous three due to problems with the trackball.

Another has posted instructions for how to take apart the phone to try to fix the problem.

Nearly 50 percent of Tours that Sprint sells are being returned, analyst David Eller at TownHall Investment Research wrote in the report. While the trackball problem is the primary reason for the returns, some customers are complaining about the sensitivity of the touch screen, he said.

[Read More]

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    I've noticed that also. A lot of people are sure posting up when they have questions b/c they are often being pushed off by the sale rep in the store they made the purchase in. Some of the recommended fix by the sale sales people are not helping the return rate.
    They don't even make sense, no wonder people are returning them. I read one persons account and thought to myself God I hope you don't believe that line of bull?

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Glad to know this before next month when we officially become Verizon. My wife really wants the Tour but if there are issues with any part of it I don't want it for her. I wouldn't mind having it and figuring it out if it was for me but with her its different.

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Hmmm thanks not good. Maybe is the first impression that most BB's give out of the box.

Well after playing with them for a while I finally scored an iPhone, the 3GS Black and the wifey has the 3GS White. I can tell you already I won't be returning. I have PUSH email already setup and always on IM (Beejive). The GPS works like a dream! and email is smooth. Thus far the iPhone is as hassle free and seamless as it gets. Simple IS powerful.

Pluged into PC with iTunes launched and its updating 3.0 to 3.1.

I think the BB's can be overwhelming for new users and maybe part of the higher return rate etc. From the size of the box to the thin but useful guide I think its safe to say out of the box the iPhone won't be a challenge no matter your smartphone experience level.

I've setup every possible feature, push emails, tuned/customized all the settings (love the access restriction settings compard to Blackberry) that i need including download apps in under 30mins. Seems it sync all my contacts, music etc while at it too.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    ^^ I think now you may understand most of my posts about the iPhone seamless and priceless UI. There really is no substitute when a 10 year old or a senior citizen can use a device and have equal enjoyable experience.

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    This is soooooooo true. My friend is on his 3rd tour as of now. All because of these faulty trackballs. The last time he asked for a new unit they tried to pull a fast one by telling him that he had to set the sensitivity to 90 and that it'll fix the problem. Ummmm how 'bout NO! I said. I told hey buddy, woah woah woah!I fixed many 83xx's and also 81xx's as well as my 8900 and let me tell you that by simply upping the sensitivity will not fix it. It might temporarily do so but why do I have to set my trackball so high? Screw that I said give him a new unit and they did lol. Idiots! They made a mistake with the trackballs somehow. Rushed perhaps? Who knows but there's definitely a hardware issue. I just hope the upcoming new bb's aren't as rushed and faulty as these series. Oh well, one can only hope for the best.
    Opera/9.60 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.13216/960; U; en) Presto/2.2.0

calm_tiger no está en línea Stack level 5
    Great news Hayden and enjoy!!!!!!!!!
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    I really hope RIM gets it together. I love to get new devices but not at the cost of quality. I don't have much choice in my area when it comes to smartphones because of carrier limits here. So hopefully they get on the ball and fix the issues soon.

goldengirl75 no está en línea Stack level 5
    This is really unfortunate to hear that yet again, problems with new BB's are discouraging either current or could be BB users. The last decent phone I had was the 8100 and now that I've been using the 9530, I've pretty much decided I won't go with anymore new BB's in the future. For the money I spend on new phone, activation, etc., I'd rather have a phone I won't get discouraged by instead of assuming a BB is a worthy product.

It's too bad.

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    Bb's are just not what they used to. Sad but true. I'm gonna put my 8900 for a trade soon sigh...
    Opera/9.60 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.13216/960; U; en) Presto/2.2.0

lat_05_69 no está en línea Stack level 3
    First the Storm, now the tour, RIM has really gone down the drain.... Well AT&T is coming to replace alltel in my town so I know exactly where I'm putting my $$$ ...
    BlackBerry8130/4.5.0.169 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/106

skyroc no está en línea Stack level 1
    Wow this is funny
    I've never had that problem with my tour. I think its simply sprint. I'm on verizon and I never had that problem the only thing I dislike is the longer restart time my old 8330 boots faster
    BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.40 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    RIM better get it in gear!
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

smooth10 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    21CB9337
    Quote Originally Posted by hayden View Post
    Hmmm thanks not good. Maybe is the first impression that most BB's give out of the box.

Well after playing with them for a while I finally scored an iPhone, the 3GS Black and the wifey has the 3GS White. I can tell you already I won't be returning. I have PUSH email already setup and always on IM (Beejive). The GPS works like a dream! and email is smooth. Thus far the iPhone is as hassle free and seamless as it gets. Simple IS powerful.

Pluged into PC with iTunes launched and its updating 3.0 to 3.1.

I think the BB's can be overwhelming for new users and maybe part of the higher return rate etc. From the size of the box to the thin but useful guide I think its safe to say out of the box the iPhone won't be a challenge no matter your smartphone experience level.

I've setup every possible feature, push emails, tuned/customized all the settings (love the access restriction settings compard to Blackberry) that i need including download apps in under 30mins. Seems it sync all my contacts, music etc while at it too.
    This is very true. iPhone's are the best out. But I just love BlackBerry and BBM.... I can't make the switch. It also helps that I try not to touch an iPhone when I see one
    Pushed emails now, would be a huge incentive I would have to say as well as the memory.... ahhhhh, I'll just stop there!

gdbjr no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    30D5C261
    Wait where can I get a Tour with a touch screen?

//hard to take the article seriously after reading that sentence.
    "I gotta tell you that the length of this conversation is way out of proportion to my interest in it."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast