hi guys, please help as i’m at my wits end!! i switched back to blackberry ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

debsagos no está en línea Stack level 2

Smile At wits end....3rd unit! Battery saga......help!!

Advertisement

hi guys,

please help as i’m at my wits end!!

i switched back to blackberry from my tmobile mda a few wees beck and boy am i glad....the mda was a buggy piece of crap!

so i got my first new 8700g about six weeks ago.....a week later it started dropping its charge very quickly....radio switching off around 7pm! my unit always starts out with a 100% charge in the morning as i charge overnight!

so....i go exchange the thing....no prob!

second unit is fine for a week and then starts doing same thing.....this time i reearch the subject....apply all the battery saving tips i can find on here and blackberryforum....don’t use bluetooth, condition battery etc etc.....no change!!

ok, exchange again.....

guess what....new unit doing it again! radio switching off by 7pm, whole unit by 7.30!
    have decided to get a car charger as i REALLY cant afford to miss calls as i’m a homebirth midwife on call 24/7......missed aclls could be disastrous!

what do i do now?
    husband has same unit by the way same usage.....only difference is case and theme! his battery life is just dandy!!

i’m not using third party applications....have bbmessenger on unit but don’t really use it!

is this a unit issue (surely i can’t have had THREE bad units????)or am i doing something stupid????

please help!

thanks
    debs x

r3nb72 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    202a1a6f

Re: At wits end....3rd unit! Battery saga......help!!

Hi Debs. That is very strange that its happening with all 3 handsets. I have no clue as to what it can be. Anyone else hv any ideas?

EvolutionCSR no está en línea Stack level 5

Thats weird if you exchanged the battery/unit it should be one or the other that is the problem shouldnt be still having the problem. Just asking your not using the same battery right? because a battery can corrupt a phone well thats what my insurance says...

SHAWNY no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    4013F062

U NEED THE SMART CASE. ITS GOOD FOR YOUR BATTERY. SOON AS U PUT THE PHONE IN THE CASE THE BATT. GO'S INTO POWER SAVE MODE. I DONT HAVE ANY IDEA ABOUT THE RADIO SWITCHING OFF. MAKE SURE YOUR AUTO ON/OFF IS NOT ENABLED. ITS UNDER OPTIONS.
    ~~Shhhh dont tell~~

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

The first charge of a battery is crutial. Did you charge it properly, a full 12 hours is recommended? Also, the smart case is a good idea, if you dont already have one.

hi guys,

thanks for responses so far.....got new everything at every exchange....so not using old battery.
    have a smartcase.....piel frama....have gone back to original tmobile uk case that comes with the unit today though....was paranoid the case was somehow responsible....and lo and behold, battery holding up good today!!

did the full initial charge so that shouldnt be the prob.....radio only switching off when battery too low for radio use.

spoke to a phone rep who said never to charge the battery overnight.....to do small charges until done and then disconnect from charger....that would preserve battery life......sounds odd to me??

keep the ideas coming.

debs x

r3nb72 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    202a1a6f

Do you think it was the Piel Frama case Debs?

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I charge mine overnight every night. Never been an issue.

bcuzi8paintchips no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask

Buy an extended life battery. Standard batteries are junk. I have 3 bars, chat on bb msgr all the time, and haven't had it on charger since wednesday.

I7oobie no está en línea Device Pro

Sounds like the case might of been the issue... Does anyone think that different themes drain your battery differently?

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I agree it could have been the case. If you want to use a different case, look for one that has a sleeper magnet.

mrnoname no está en línea Stacker

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Do you have any push services?
    And just so you know, I normally have to plug mine in to top it off about 4 every day. But im a heavy user. Are you surfing the web a lot. Do you log into sites a lot? These are things that will also pull your battery down. The phone feature will also eat up your battery.
    One more thing, I am on my 3rd 8700g myself. My problems were all different each time. But it is possible. But I come more thinking that it is something you are doing, or its something in your case also.

One more thing you may want to consider. How good is your signal strength? The lower the signal the more power your Blackberry will put out to connect.

Hope I was able to give you some ideas.

John

thanks everyone....

somehow think it may have been a cursed case.....the piel frama one had a sleeper magnet though so i REALLY dont know how it could have anything to do with it.

my usage is light to moderate with minimal surfing.
    i have no push services...

got a car charger today!! so not feeling panicky anymore when out all day thinking i have to notify my on call cover because my phone is going to go off any minute....

keep it coming though!
    debs xx

sanjeevjoshi no está en línea Stack level 2

I had this issue with my first unit, which I returned. Never ran into this issue again with my second unit. In hindsight, I think it was a combination of a bad battery and limited network strength when I had the first unit, and was traveling to a distant suburb of Chicago.

Since then, I have also bought an extra standard battery, I rarely use it. I am a moderate to heavy user. Battery gets me through an entire day for sure, some times two and half days if I dont stay on the phone at lot (which I some times do). Talk time and stand by are equal or better than advertised rating.

I think battery consumption is in my case is directly tied to amount of time on the phone (4 to 5 hours tops), AND Network Strength. When I was traveling in a distant suburb of Chicago with just one or two bars, battery life was reduced. Similar thing occurred when I was working at the basement level of a building in DC and forgot to turn the radio off.

Since you mentioned your husband has a much better battery life on his Blackberry:

1. Is he on a different carrier?
    2. Would he have a much better battery life if you kept the two devices in the same location (example: at home, over the weekend)? If his Blackberry is generally spending a lot more time in a better Network location, Battery life could be different
    4. Can you run a test switching batteries with the other blackberry to see if thats the cause?
    5. Can you run a test switching the devices (but not the battery)?
    6. Could very well be the case - my battery life goes down to some extent when I leave my 8700c outside the case
    7. Definitely try changing the theme, and perhaps the OS if you feel comfortable with it. I noticed a 20% improvement in battery life after I upgraded the OS to Telstra from Cingular. However, theme is also important. When I used Dimension Today, battery consumption went up.

Good luck!

me again,

yes i thought at first it may have something to do with signal strength.....but i seem to have disproven that theory now....after taking it out of the piel frama case i had one good battery day....and then i was back to battery guzzling bb!!!

i have now changed to my husbands theme ( zen) and he is on the same carrier as me anyway so thats not the prob.....i just can't figure out what the problem is........

could do the battery switch but a phone switch would be extremely difficult because of all the different info on both phones.

i dont feel particularly confident in doing a OS upgrade....i use a mac and i gather it is more complicated doing that.....just about managed to sync unit with pocketmac....

if i go back to tmobile they wont do another exchange....they will send the unit off this time and i'll probably get a refurb back!! wouldnt be happy with that....

can one get in touch with rim??

what do i do now....definately at wits end!
    debs x