Does anyone know if the backups 'contain' settings, and the likes? For example, I've made ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

naviwilliams no está en línea Stack level 4

Question What's in a backup?

Advertisement

Does anyone know if the backups 'contain' settings, and the likes? For example, I've made changes to my profiles, i.e. ring tones, and exceptions, etc. I've created a backup, if I need to restore that backup, would it restore my settings too?

I'd hate to have to go through and edit all my settings again. Took forever the first time round...LOL

colabnet no está en línea Stack level 2

Lightbulb Re: What's in a backup?

Quote Originally Posted by navilyn
    Does anyone know if the backups 'contain' settings, and the likes? For example, I've made changes to my profiles, i.e. ring tones, and exceptions, etc. I've created a backup, if I need to restore that backup, would it restore my settings too?

I'd hate to have to go through and edit all my settings again. Took forever the first time round...LOL
    The backup certainly will contain all the things you mentioned - one caveat though:

The backups will not contain third party application settings and data by default - you must read the "fine print" to see if the third party applications you use support backup and restore. I would recommend contacting the software publishers themselves to see if they support it.

Hope this helps!
    Collaborative Network Technologies Inc.
    http://www.colabnet.com
    55 Bond Street, Suite 103,
    St. John's, NL
    A1C 1S9

Re: What's in a backup?

Ah, excellent! I appreciate the info. My main concern was the profiles and exceptions...

Ook
    Ook no está en línea Stack level 2

Downloaded ringtones aren't included either and neither are (obviously) paired Bluetooth devices.

Actually, downloaded ringtones are on there, but you're right, Bluetooth devices have to be readded. I've just come across that...

Ook
    Ook no está en línea Stack level 2

Hmm.. The backups we have on our BES don't contain any ringtones?! I assume your backups are done using the Desktop Manager? Anyone maybe have a list of what the BES-backups contain (or don't contain)?

Yes, you're right. I was using Desktop Manager...

tomtester no está en línea Stack level 1

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~somewhat related; i recently bought abc amber blackberry converter which allows you to export the textual data in the ipd files to a whole slew of export formats (text, excel, pdf, etc). Works great to retrieve old contacts from 2 year old backups...

Isn't there something like palm's BackupBuddy for the BB (pretty much clones the current system for quick restoration)