Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Originally Posted by joek71 ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i got you, so when you purchase 8700 series ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

sn1p3r no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Re: What is the difference 8700 & 8703e?

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by joek71
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i got you, so when you purchase 8700 series they are gsm and the rest are well the rest. So why is it that gsm gets all the updates first and we get them later? What are the pro and con when they are put head to head 8700 vs 8703e? Whe I was looking for a bb my provider sprint did not give me much choice in this field that kind of sucked. I would like to know what am I missing out besides gsm network? Also Is gsm network better then our in the us?

Thanks guys
    Joek, GSM is available in the US thru Tmo and At&t, but the big advantage of a 8703 over a 8700X would be the EVDO network, really faster using email and browser. And GSM always have faster update than any other network since it's an international technology used mostly everywhere. Aside from GSM and faster upgrade, there's not a lot of difference.
    I'm french canadian so I can also help you in french, just PM me
    UNLESS it is for a BETA OS, it's at your own risk and I won't support it
    Sn1p3r

joek71 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    319CCF42

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~thanks
    But I know that the software that RIM is putting out is universal, it just depends on what unit you are installing it, some options are locked if you install on GSM and vise versa on the US network. It is cheaper to develop 1 software version and just to luck some options then making multiple ones, I should know I was developer. This way they same millions and that's why each carrier gets the software so they can close some options. Just like we do here, we unlock the themes by adjusting the .alx file same way you can adjust the same file or different ones for your bb. The bb mite be different in hardware but the same in software with some adjustments.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by flash24
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~whats weird is, I can install a CDMA OS to my 8700g but your install a GMA os to a CDMA.
    But it does require manipulating specific files. You can't just delete vendor.xml and load. In other words, it's nothing like loading an 8700g OS on an 8700c.

So why is it that gsm gets all the updates first and we get them later?
    GSM is more of a world standard. You only find CDMA in the US, Japan and Korea and the latter two aren't compatible with the version of CDMA developed in the US. It's pretty understandable that RIM would produce and release GSM devices first as its clients are in many more countries than just the US.

By "we", I'm guessing you mean those of us in the US? There are GSM carriers over here as well. You don't have to use CDMA in the US. As sn1p3r points out, at&t and TMO are both GSM. Many of "us" are GSM.

What are the pro and con when they are put head to head 8700 vs 8703e?
    Again, you can use the comparison tool at Blackberry.com. The differences are in the specs. The 8703e has built-in GPS (though it's a moot point if you're with Verizon). The 8700's do not. That's one thing that I know isn't very clear on Blackberry.com.

I would like to know what am I missing out besides gsm network? Also Is gsm network better then our in the us?
    Not necessarily. As with any wireless device choose your carrier based on coverage first and then start picking your device. Each network standard and each carrier has its own pros and cons that you need to look at versus your needs/wants. I tend to give GSM bonus points since I can switch devices at will without any interaction from the carrier but coverage is still my primary concern. On top of that, I tend to rule Verizon out due to their practice of crippling devices. I don't generally consider CDMA carriers because they tend to be very slow at getting new Blackberry models.

However, your criteria can and probably are different. Just keep coverage as your top priority. A wireless device without a solid network is useless.

As far as Blackberries are concerned, the core functionality of all the models is pretty much the same. You're mostly looking at different keyboards and other features (media card/support, camera, GPS) that tend to be matters of personal preference. When it comes to evaluating one BB over another you just need to pick the one that suits you best. I normally recommend determining whether you have a preference for or against SureType as most people are clearly in one camp or the other. There seem to be just a few that are happy with either.

Generally, by the time you've picked a carrier and SureType preference you're down to 1 or 2 models at most.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~thanks
    But I know that the software that RIM is putting out is universal, it just depends on what unit you are installing it, some options are locked if you install on GSM and vise versa on the US network.
    They're not universal. That's exactly why everyone had been waiting for 4.2 for the 8700's for so long and why the 8703 users are still without 4.2.

Don't take my word for it though: Take an 8700. Load the 8703e OS on your PC, delete vendor.xml and see if App Loader will update the 8700. It won't. The hardware isn't the same. It's even more of an issue when you're crossing model lines or generations of BB's.

You can cross-load OS's for current devices with the same model number (i.e not the 7100 or 7130) because they are identical. In a sense you're right as the 8700c, 8700g, 8700r and 8700x can all load each other's OS's but that's because they're all identical inside -- not because a given RIM OS can be loaded on any BB. Similarly, all 8800's are identical to each other but their OS's are not compatible with the 8830 (or the 8300 or the 8700 or the 8100 etc etc).

It is possible to load modules from one model to another and in some rare cases this works but usually it's pretty unproductive.

Developing software on a PC is entirely different since desktop machines are powerful enough to handle hardware abstraction without such a penalty to performance. Even on desktops there are cases where binaries have to be recompiled for the underlying OS and/or hardware. In any case, it's not a germane comparison.

There are multiple network technologies used in the US, including GSM so I don't know what you mean by "GSM" versus "the US network"...

Just like we do here, we unlock the themes by adjusting the .alx file same way you can adjust the same file or different ones for your bb. The bb mite be different in hardware but the same in software with some adjustments.
    Editing an ALX file and loading the 8703 OS on an 8700 (just an example) or vice versa are completely different animals. Editing the ALX file allows you to modify what's in your OS load on your device. Editing an ALX file won't suddenly allow you to load the 8300 OS on your 8700 (as another example).
    Last edited by takeshi; 05-25-2007 at 01:30 PM.

PIN/ID
    319CCF42

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~so everytime they come out with new BB it has new processor and different components, cool.
    Thanks for all your input.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~so everytime they come out with new BB it has new processor and different components, cool.
    Thanks for all your input.
    It may or may not have new processors but if it is a different protocol it will have different hardware. CDMA is a propriatary protocol and all hardware must be licensed from the owner of the rights (Qualcom). GSM is an international open standard and therefore can use multiple choices of different hardware.
    Hope this helps.
    Rcbjr

PIN/ID
    319CCF42

I understand all that you guys are saying here, but I wish I can talk to RIM tech who actualy works for them, it is crazy to make so many software versions, it cost million to make, i bet you guys they have one software version for every model(8700,8800,7000, etc) not per model 8007r or 8703e this would cost to much money.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12