Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi, well, today went well. I've had my BB for less than a week and ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

HarryMonk no está en línea Stack level 2

Thumbs down Vodafone UK admit 8707v MMS problem

Advertisement

Hi, well, today went well. I've had my BB for less than a week and already I've managed to do a Captain Chaos with it.

I searched the forums before posting this, so forgive me if I missed it. Since Vodafone only admitted it to me today, maybe I'm one of the first.

It seems that there's an intermittent problem with 8707v handsets in the UK on Vodafone which means they can't receive MMS texts. How do I know? Well, there's not even an option to send MMS in the menus. After seeing the instructions on how to send them on page 17 of Vodafone's manual, I investigated. Could I receive them? Nope!

I called Vodafone and spent about an hour in total in various calls. I emailed BB Europe and they told me that MMS should work. Finally, tonight, one of Vodafone's business advisors told me that they have notification from BB to confirm that this is a known issue.

Best news? There's no working around it. No update. No point in exchanging handsets, either, because the problem can occur on any of them!

So no MMS, then!

If anyone has experience of this, please let me know.

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

NADight no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Vodafone UK admit 8707v MMS problem

The "issue" is exactly as you describe. The MMS service book is not sent to the 8707 so no MMS menus show up, despite the manual!
    It seems (although I cannot be sure) that it is Vodafone itself that has made this decision, but that it was made at a high level, and not communicated to the lower engineering or support levels. RIM say there is no reason why there should be no MMS service book and MMS facility on the phone, and Voda tech support (as you have discovered) are equally flummoxed (I always wanted to use that word). Even more embarrassing for Voda (or at least it ought to be) is that sales staff are merrilly selling a product that doesn't do exactly what it says on the tin, and have been for months - ever since the 8707 was released.
    I imagine once the "issue" (whatever it is) is solved by Voda, they will then lift the restriction (that, of course, doesn't officially exist), the MMS service book will be sent to the device, and off we go.

As a matter of interest, does anyone with an 8707 NOT connected to Voda UK have the MMS service book and MMS menu options?

anthony no está en línea Stack level 3

I asked in my local Vodafone store and no staff were aware of this issue. Do Vodaphone have disingenuous motives?

Thanks for the confirmation, guys. I don't think it's sales staff being sly; it's more a cock-up of epic proportions that hasn't (as you point out) filtered down yet.

The girl I spoke to (the only person to admit any issues) said that she had just found a critical notification about the issue. BB Europe seemed quite pissed off about it, too, so I expect some kind of solution fairly soon from Vodafone.

But at the moment, they're in breach of the Trades Description Act, which is quite cool! Nice to know that we're all still f*cking bug testers for the big corporations!

I don't think this is a bug testing matter. I am fairly sure that OS 4.1 handheld software and the 8707 are perfectly capable of providing MMS.

I am pretty sure that it is Vodafone itself that has decided not to provide MMS on the 8707. If we knew the reason for that decision, then we could say if we were part of a beta test, or not.

In my experience, this sort of thing happens in response to a "problem". It may be that Voda experienced difficulties with MMS on the 8700 (which is fully implemented), and decided to avoid the same problems with the 8707.

I cannot believe Voda would deliberately disable a feature just for the sake of it, particularly, as has been pointed out, by doing so it is selling a product which is misdescribed.

I suppose that once Voda officially admits to the problem with MMS, they will have to stop selling it, or at least change their sales details

UPDATE - I see that after installing the newest, non-Vodafone version of the handheld software for the 8707, the icon which previously was entitled "SMS/MMS" is now called "SMS"

Make of this what you will

oxide-tones no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2058FAF3

i have a german vodafone 8707v that im using with a sim from another carrier, and i have all the mms options as outlined in the maual.

Chew no está en línea Stack level 1

Smile Re: Vodafone UK admit 8707v MMS problem

I have a Vodafone 8707v with m1 Singapore. I don't see MMS either . Good thing I don't use MMS at all.

eatmypiano no está en línea BES Pro

Vodafone UK's MMS Service Book is sent to 7100s, 7290s, 8700s and 8100s. It's not a bug (so please don't say things like that without the evidence to back it up) - it's by request. Vodafones UMTS network only supports a single PDP Context so the MMS messaging service would only work at GPRS speeds on 3G which would affect the user experience. Unless Vodafone upgrade their GGSNs it's never going to work, but it's not a BlackBerry problem.

I deliberately referred to it as an "issue" rather than a bug. Just as you say, I was fairly sure it was not a bug, but a feature that had been deliberately disabled by Voda.

However, that still doesn't explain why Voda sell the 8707v describing it as having MMS capability

Nor does it explain why the "issue" is treated by Voda UK Tech Support as a "bug", and wasting customers' time trying to fix it, when the truth is that it's not broken

I think they deserve to be told!

eatmypiano no está en línea BES Pro

That's an issue you'll have to take up with Vodafone. If you specifically bought the device for its MMS capabilities and can find documented proof that they say it supports MMS, you can mention the Provision of Goods and Services Act when you speak to them and ask for remedy to your problem. If you're not that bothered about MMS, just let it go :-)

And, by the way, if when you contacted RIM in the EU they gave you a reference number, could you message it to me on here or Pin2Pin it to my device (PIN over there <--- )

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Chew, Welcome to PinStack.

Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help with your BB.

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Quote Originally Posted by eatmypiano
    That's an issue you'll have to take up with Vodafone. If you specifically bought the device for its MMS capabilities and can find documented proof that they say it supports MMS, you can mention the Provision of Goods and Services Act when you speak to them and ask for remedy to your problem. If you're not that bothered about MMS, just let it go :-)

And, by the way, if when you contacted RIM in the EU they gave you a reference number, could you message it to me on here or Pin2Pin it to my device (PIN over there <--- )
    Eatmypiano: Thanks for the input. BB say MMS should work. It's outlined in their manual and in the Vodafone UK manual (on page 17, I think, and you can get the PDF from BB UK). What we have, instead of a bug, is a problem. Is it that the 8707 can't handle two data streams? Anyway, cause aside, it would be nice if Vodafone fixed it. As you say, it's currently in breach of the Provisions act in the UK, but the problem is that otherwise, the handset does everything well and I'm very happy with it. I just don't like being told that I've got technology that doesn't do what it's supposed to do

It's also ridiculous to be told by a Vodafone Business support staffer that (and she really said it), "If your phone doesn't have a camera, you can't receive MMS"

At least I now know that this is not just an issue with my handset, which was my main concern. BB Europe didn't give me a reference number, they said:

"We do not know here why the MMS does not work.

You need to go back to Vodafone and ask them to open a ticket and escalate the case to their internal contacts for BlackBerry support. They may need to come back to RIM, but your comment should follow the defined escalation process and be followed up through the appropriate channel. I am sorry that we are unable to help you directly."

At that point, I tapped Vodafone up again and finally got confirmation from someone that there was "an intermittent fault" with 8707 handsets which prevented them from receiving MMS. So the info still hasn't filtered down!

Unfortunately, I do tend to receive a lot of MMS because of my job. They'll just have to email me from now on.

Bloody technology!

dimosthenis no está en línea Stack level 1

Hi to all! I'm using of 8707v in Vodafone Greece-the same thing happens with the mms service- no mms capability but also there is not vodafone live!option (Wap access through services icon is not available).It is a well know issue in Vodafone globally. According with Vodafone and Rim things are going to change in the next 2 months.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Thought I'd bump this just in case anyone had any news on MMS with Vodafone in the UK? I've sent their business section three emails and each one has been studiosly ignored. Hmph!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast