Hi,I have this 8707v from Smart Tone / Vodafone. I try putting my friend's sim ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

Linus no está en línea Stack level 2

UNLOCKING 8707v

Advertisement

Hi,I have this 8707v from Smart Tone / Vodafone. I try putting my friend's sim card from another carrier and I get sim card error. Is my phone locked? If so, does anybody know how to unlock it? Smart Tone would not help. I bought the phone from them but do not have a contract with them. Does upgrading the OS unlock the phone? What is a good version?I will be traveling and would like to use local prepaid card on it. Please help!

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

Re: UNLOCKING 8707v

You need to get an unlock code from one of the companies that provide that service. You can do a search and get that info. Upgrading the OS has no affect on locking or unlocking.

Keep in mind that the frequency bands of the 8707v are not compatible with the US network (ATT and T-Mo, so all you can expect to have is GPRS service, not EDGE.

Linus no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: UNLOCKING 8707v

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~thank you for the input. Yes, I am aware of the band. I paid full price for the phone from Smart Tone, wonder if there is a magic word to use with these customer service reps so that they will unlock my phone. I have service with them now and I don't have a contract with them the customer service rep told me that there isn't a lock, but clearly, I cannot use the phone with sim from another provider. The phone is branded with Vodafone icon. Please help!