Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Am I Imagining it or is it a possibility that after I unlocked my 8700g ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

pspiegel no está en línea Stack level 2

Unlocked 8700g from Tmobile and now signal is bad?

Advertisement

Am I Imagining it or is it a possibility that after I unlocked my 8700g from tmobile that the signal strength has weakened and is more often "searching" for signal than it was before?

I followed the instructions t-mobile gave me including turning off the wireless before unlocking the phone.

I was curious if this is just a fluke because of where I am or is it a possibility that it may have done something to my signal strength? If so any ideas on how to fix it/revert back to how it use to be?

williamlc21 no está en línea Stack Lead

Re: Unlocked 8700g from Tmobile and now signal is bad?

To start, where are you? Same location as before or traveling?
    "I'm the best there is. And even if you beat me, I'm still the best." -Fast Eddie Felson(The Hustler)

Quote Originally Posted by williamlc21
    To start, where are you? Same location as before or traveling?
    Same as before at my house.. I always have only gotten two bars or so at my house, but usually it locks on fairly quick..

Also, it seems to always be blinking red now.. even though I have no messages... is there a way to change that, I liked the different indications..

The only thing you can change is if it blinks at all-------options-screen/keyboard--led coverage ind. Have you tried pulling the battery with the phone on since you unlocked the phone?
    "I'm the best there is. And even if you beat me, I'm still the best." -Fast Eddie Felson(The Hustler)

The only thing you can change is if it blinks at all-------options-screen/keyboard--led coverage ind. Have you tried pulling the battery with the phone on since you unlocked the phone?
    yeah i have, it seems like it eventually gets on the network, but really slowly..

Sorry if this seems general but when it comes to reception I start from square one. Do you have an old sim card and can you try a diff one in the phone, is it only at your home?

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

The area where you live, are there other GSM providers?

An unlocked device will search for ALL networks. Not just your own.

If there are other available networks, it may be fighting between competing signals. Especially if the other network has a stronger signal.

Go to Options -> Network and then try switching from Automatic to Manual. Also ensure that it is your carrier in the Network field.

Just a suggestion...hope it works out for you.

I do not have an old SIM/old phone readily available, however, I took a walk down the street and it seemed to get better. I called T-Mobile and they said that my home is actually in a semi-dead zone, so it is probably my area. I did set it to manual now, and will see if that helps. I will go down town in a bit and see if I get my full signal like I usually do.. if I do not then I guess there is cause for concern.. thanks for all your help, I will let you know what happens!

shafferds no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23d2a4fe

try putting your sim card in another t-mobile phone and check if the signal is as bad or better. That can give you a better idea of if its the reception or the phone!
    DO OR DO NOT THERE IS NO TRY

Quote Originally Posted by shafferds
    try putting your sim card in another t-mobile phone and check if the signal is as bad or better. That can give you a better idea of if its the reception or the phone!
    thanks, i don't have another tmobile phone to test on though... i think it does lay in the fact that it is selecting cingular when the tmobile signal is really low, when I go into the network control panel, it shows sometimes that "cingular" is selected even though i have it set to select manually.. is there a way to make it NEVER select cingular? or to "relock" the phone?

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

You cannot relock a phone once it has been unlocked.

shafferds no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23d2a4fe

the carrier selection actually has to do with the roaming aggrements that the carries have signed with each other. Once a phone has been unlocked it can be a real pain in the rear to re-lock a phone. You basically have to reflash your phone with the carriers brand and go from there. You could just try to do a manual network search and not have it on the option for automatic.
    DO OR DO NOT THERE IS NO TRY

Quote Originally Posted by shafferds
    the carrier selection actually has to do with the roaming aggrements that the carries have signed with each other. Once a phone has been unlocked it can be a real pain in the rear to re-lock a phone. You basically have to reflash your phone with the carriers brand and go from there. You could just try to do a manual network search and not have it on the option for automatic.
    so if i do a manual network search, and have it set to tmobile.. if tmobile isnt available, it just wont get signal right?

the unlocking shouldnt limit my ability to get good signal either right? meaning it is probably my location..

Given what they said about the deadspot its probably your home. Have you gone to tmobile.com to check the coverage map. We have a very good street level coverage map there...

Given what they said about the deadspot its probably your home. Have you gone to tmobile.com to check the coverage map. We have a very good street level coverage map there...
    when i called tmobile they said my home was a very low coverage area... it seemed though before I unlocked i could get a little more service.. maybe it was just so little that now it is switching to cingular instead of taking the really low tmobile? if i set it to manual will it ever switch to cingular on its own or will it really wait for me to manually set it? maybe i am hallucinating but it seems like it goes completely dead more where before it was just one or two bars...

oh and by the way, it seemed to realize it was blinking for no reason.. it stopped blinking red and now is blinking green again..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast