This has stumped me for months. My 8700g randomly shuts itself off. This will mostly ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

berry-bum no está en línea Stack level 2

Question Unit shuts off, event log question

Advertisement

This has stumped me for months. My 8700g randomly shuts itself off. This will mostly happen when I'm on a call. I have upgraded, and downgraded. I 'wiped' the unit using JL_Cmder v1.8.3 Nothing has worked. The only clue I have is the event log. Each time the unit shuts off, there is a series of lines like this:

app:UI data:GS+Q2 11c61f91net.rim.device.apps.internal.ribbon.system .AutoOffDialog

app:UI data:GS+Q2 eff6e2a4net.rim.device.apps.internal.ribbon.system .DisplayableSplashScreen

app:UI data:GS-D 11c61f91

app:net.rim.ribbon data:Device off request

app:UI data:GS-D eff6e2a4

app:UI data:GS+Q2 10191c12net.rim.device.apps.internal.ribbon.system .DisplayableSplashScreen

these are actual entries, each preceded on the same line by:

guid:0xBEF92E11214401C3 time: Wed Nov 28 22:49:31 2007 severity:0 type:2

Anyone have a clue? Is this something I can fix? Do I have to pull the Treo of of storage :-( ?

Plz help a lost soul...
    Don't let the number of posts fool you...

8310 4.5.0.69 (2.7.0.72)

Ranz no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    ask me!

Re: Unit shuts off, event log question

well not too sure wow it sounds complex but have you tried to check your auto off/on? Click Options - auto off/on - change both weekday to disable and also change weekend to disable - save. Hopefully this is your answer. good luck post back for any progress on this!

Yep. I checked EVERY setting on the unit. And, the auto-off feature would have set times to power down. It also wouldn't disconnect a call.

Keep the ideas coming, T-Mo is trying to get me to buy a new unit. But, I have a 7100t, 3 Palms, and 2 PPC in the drawer collecting dust along with a couple of 'dumb' phones.

8310 4.5.0.69 (2.7.0.72)

ma077146 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3019F3E6

If this happens mostly when you're on a call, it could be some type of overheating problem. As current circulates through a device, heat is discharged from the battery as a by product. You've no doubt seen how warm your battery/device can get during a call.

Your problem may not be OS or software related, especially not if the symptoms recur after you make those types of changes. There could be an internal, physical problem making the phone cut off.

Does it cut off only on long calls, or does it seem random with no regard to the length of the call?

It is very random, and usually happens when I press a key, and again that part is random. But, most of my calls are 5 minutes or less. It isn't a heat problem. Also, it may happen 3 times within a few minutes, or go most of the day. Thats why I'm hoping someone can interpret the event log. Everything is random, except the pattern in the log.

8310 4.5.0.69 (2.7.0.72)

ma077146 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3019F3E6

Info to decode the error log isn't generally publically available, but I did notice that it says there is a "Device off request", something (and it could be hardware, not software) is requesting the device to power down. If it were something ruthless that was powering down the device, like a battery pull, there wouldn't be time to log the power down request.

How old is your battery? If it has some age on it, can you get another one to try for a day or two and see if the symptom goes away?