Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 28 of 28

Find your device here on the dropdown menu and download the OS for your device: ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

  1. #16
    Lavagirl's Avatar
    Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    Join Date
    May 2007
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava
    Posts
    10,877

    Re: Unable to install OS ... idiots guide needed

    Advertisement



    Find your device here on the dropdown menu and download the OS for your device:
    https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...E4F82F9F00E7D4
    See the Official Latest OS threads updated regularly for All Devices.
    Forum Rules
    PinStack Trust Guide


  2. #17
    cagen's Avatar
    cagen no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    9

    Re: Unable to install OS ... idiots guide needed

    Thanks for the fast reply, I am also on using O2. Do I just download the Desktop Software along with the 2 service packs?.. Anything else?..

  3. #18
    DCookSta's Avatar
    DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    PIN/ID
    312C4157
    Posts
    2,331

    Re: Unable to install OS ... idiots guide needed

    You download the desktop manager software AND the BB operating system software. 2 downloads. Install the desktop manager and the operation system programs on your computer. Find and delete vendor.xml and plug in your phone.

    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

  4. #19
    cagen's Avatar
    cagen no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    9

    Re: Unable to install OS ... idiots guide needed

    Quote Originally Posted by DCookSta
    You download the desktop manager software AND the BB operating system software. 2 downloads. Install the desktop manager and the operation system programs on your computer. Find and delete vendor.xml and plug in your phone.

    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Is there a more generic link with downloads? I am based in the UK and on O2. These links for the handset are for AT&T, does this matter?..

    Oh!.. and I have also managed to wipe my handset and don't know how to upload the OS onto it again. What do I do?

  5. #20
    skinhead81's Avatar
    skinhead81 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    PIN/ID
    254523AC
    Posts
    89

    Re: Unable to install OS ... idiots guide needed

    pull out the battery first ...
    then install the latest os - doesn't really matter which - once downloaded install
    now go to c:/windowszprograms/common files/research in motion/app loaders (or something similar) and locate a file called vendor.xml
    delete this bad boy
    then connect your bb to your pc and open desktop manager
    it should show disconnected
    select application loader and the install should begin
    once all prev data is erased reconnect your battery
    install takes 5-10 minutes and once complete you'll get an egg timer for about 15 minutes ... people said this was normal so i trusted them ... turns out they were right and my 8700g works again

    btw i installed the vodafone uk os ... there is a more recent version but i thought i'd stick with a uk operator just incase
    "Pain Is Weakness Leaving The Body"

  6. #21
    cagen's Avatar
    cagen no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    9

    Re: Unable to install OS ... idiots guide needed

    Thanks skinhead81

    Windows detects that the BB is connected but the Desktop Manager doesn't see the BB connected via USB and this is with and without the battery installed

    I have v4.2.18 of the Desktop Manager installed.

    Help!..

  7. #22
    Rcbjr's Avatar
    Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    Join Date
    May 2006
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    Posts
    14,848

    Re: Unable to install OS ... idiots guide needed

    Quote Originally Posted by cagen
    Is there a more generic link with downloads? I am based in the UK and on O2. These links for the handset are for AT&T, does this matter?..

    Oh!.. and I have also managed to wipe my handset and don't know how to upload the OS onto it again. What do I do?
    Try Here, BlackBerry Desktop and Device Software Download Sites

    Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

  8. #23
    cagen's Avatar
    cagen no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    9

    Re: Unable to install OS ... idiots guide needed

    Thanks again Rcbjr,

    After 12 hours of reading, searching etc... I have now managed to re-install everything and have a working BB

    Only a couple of things left to question.

    1. I don't have a browser icon to select. Why not?..
    2. What is the latest OS version for the 8707g? I think I now have v4.1.0 installed and using the BlackBerry Desktop Software v4.2 Service Pack 2 (English). Where would I get the latest version?
    3. How do I get the WAP side of things working? I'm with O2 - UK but not on a contract

  9. #24
    Rcbjr's Avatar
    Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    Join Date
    May 2006
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    Posts
    14,848

    Re: Unable to install OS ... idiots guide needed

    About the browser. Do you have a Blackberry data plan? if so, did you go to Options/Advanced Options/Host Routing Table and from the menu select Register Now?

    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

  10. #25
    cagen's Avatar
    cagen no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    9

    Re: Unable to install OS ... idiots guide needed

    No - I'm not on a data plan. But in theory, I am supposed to be able to connect to the carriers wap service arn't I? Where do I input the default wap service details for the O2 carrier I'm on?

  11. #26
    Eddie_gauge's Avatar
    Eddie_gauge no está en línea Stack level 7
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,970

    Re: Unable to install OS ... idiots guide needed

    Quote Originally Posted by cagen
    No - I'm not on a data plan. But in theory, I am supposed to be able to connect to the carriers wap service arn't I? Where do I input the default wap service details for the O2 carrier I'm on?
    menu, options, advanced options, TCP

  12. #27
    Rcbjr's Avatar
    Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    Join Date
    May 2006
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    Posts
    14,848

    Re: Unable to install OS ... idiots guide needed

    Quote Originally Posted by cagen
    No - I'm not on a data plan. But in theory, I am supposed to be able to connect to the carriers wap service arn't I? Where do I input the default wap service details for the O2 carrier I'm on?
    It really depends on the carrier. Without a blackberry data plan, you may be subject to pay per use or pay per byte charges. Some carriers will allow connection to the WAP gateway, some don't. You may or may not be caught during an account audit. You really need to ask your carrier what their policy is.

    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

  13. #28
    skinhead81's Avatar
    skinhead81 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    PIN/ID
    254523AC
    Posts
    89

    Re: Unable to install OS ... idiots guide needed

    Quote Originally Posted by cagen
    Thanks again Rcbjr,

    After 12 hours of reading, searching etc... I have now managed to re-install everything and have a working BB

    Only a couple of things left to question.

    1. I don't have a browser icon to select. Why not?..
    2. What is the latest OS version for the 8707g? I think I now have v4.1.0 installed and using the BlackBerry Desktop Software v4.2 Service Pack 2 (English). Where would I get the latest version?
    3. How do I get the WAP side of things working? I'm with O2 - UK but not on a contract

    unfortunately o2 prepay doesn't support browser or mms whilst using a blackberry ... best option ... in store sim only contract with Ł10 blackberry plan ... prob cost you Ł25 per month all in ... don't buy an online contract though ... o2 online doesn't support blackberry!

    call 4445 from your handset and ask to speak to someone about setting up a contract and explain what you need ... they may be able to sort it ... alternatively call into your local store and get a sim only ... or get a proper contract and get the curve or pearl for FREE!
    "Pain Is Weakness Leaving The Body"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •