I'm just full of questions. Is there a way, on the BB 8703e, to stop ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

IODebbie no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    32BBCB3E

Turning Off Auto Data

Advertisement

I'm just full of questions.

Is there a way, on the BB 8703e, to stop data transmission (such as automatic e-mail checking) and to manually force a check?

I'm going to be in Canada for a few days and the data roaming up there is $2/MB. For just the usual reading of e-mails and text messages, that isn't too bad, but I was told that every time the BB automatically checks for e-mails (which it does frequently), there is a charge and those charges can add up pretty quickly.

So, I'd like to be able to force the data transmission once or twice a day and disable the auto function.

I don't even know if that makes sense, but assuming it does, any thoughts?

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

Re: Turning Off Auto Data

Email is automatically pused to you BB, it doesn't "check". ANd as such there is no way for one to do a manual check.

Under OS 4.2, I think there is an option to turn data off. Since you are on Sprint, I suggest you talk to them about roaming in Canada and see what agreements they have with the CDMA carriers there. They might have some sore of International package to use to make voice and data a bit cheaper when out of the US.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

...or you may want to see about temporarily removing your BB data plan since 4.2 isn't out for the 8703e.

With a GSM carrier you could just stick your SIM into a regular phone but unfortunately that's a moot point.

IODebbie no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    32BBCB3E

Can I temporarily disable the "push" feature, enable it when I want to check and then disable it again? Would that work?

parcsomaha no está en línea Stack level 1

having sprint turn off your blackberry plan is a HUGE pain in the ***. i was going to canada a few weeks ago, and after making 5 calls to customer service over 2 days, i was still getting mail pushed to my phone. i'd make sure that you get to talk to a sprint tech to confirm that the data plan has been suspended before you enter canada. also, make sure that you have notes put on your account to tell them that you won't pay for data in canada for browsing the web or having e-mail pushed to your phone. good luck!