Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello all. I am a longtime Treo user in need of a new gadget to ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

Argelius no está en línea Stack level 2

Treo user about to jump to an 8700: couple of ?s

Advertisement

Hello all.
    I am a longtime Treo user in need of a new gadget to play with and am thinking of going to the Black (Berry) side. I've done a lot of online research but have a few remaining questions:

(1) 8700c vs 8700g: other than case color and inherent differences in Cingular vs T-mobile, any difference between them? (I'd also ask which carrier is better BBwise, but that's probably best addressed elsewhere).

(2) Can you SMS text message? I'm sure the answer is yes, but had to ask.

(3) I will be using only personal POP email accounts. It's my understanding the BB handles them just fine. (There is so much emphasis placed on BB corporate/enterprise email, just want to make sure I'm not missing anything).

(4) When retrieving email from, say, 3 different accounts, can they all have the same Inbox? (In other words, do you have to enter and back out of multiple nested folders to see each new email? (On my Treo I can view all the new messages from one screen).

(5) I understand the BB Contacts PIM only allows for one address per contact. Correct? Which address does it use--home or business?

(6) Any general comments about the PIM functions of the 8700? I suspect Palm is better, but all I really need to do is sync my contacts and calendar to have it with me on my phone).

(7) When composing email messages, is there any predictive text functionality? (i.e. must every letter of every word get typed?) On the Treo a list of word possibilities pops up as I type, so for instance, if I type "cong" I get the option of selecting "congratulations", "congressional", "congested", etc. I find it really speeds text entry).

Thank you to anyone who has bothered to read this far! These are sort of specific/picky questions, but knowing the answers will help me know if the transition to a BB will be too emotionally traumatic...

:-)

Re: Treo user about to jump to an 8700: couple of ?s

I'll start off by answering one of my own questions:
    (1) 8700c vs 8700g: other than case color and inherent differences in Cingular vs T-mobile, any difference between them?

http://www.pinstack.com/index.php?q=...y_8700g_review

(Didn't see this before...)

taeisme no está en línea Stack level 4

Here are some answers to your questioms:

2. Yes you can sms.
    3. Yes the bb handles POP 3 perfectly. For me it was easy to set up, I have no issues with my personal email.
    4. Yes
    7. As far as I know with my 8700 there is no predictive text.

I can say that I have had the 8700 for about 3 days and it's the best that I have had. I have had a Treo, Palm Tungsten, E2, iPAQ 6515, BB 7100, Ogo and Kjam and there is no comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by taeisme
    I can say that I have had the 8700 for about 3 days and it's the best that I have had. I have had a Treo, Palm Tungsten, E2, iPAQ 6515, BB 7100, Ogo and Kjam and there is no comparison.
    Thanks! Based on your phone history, you are about as big of a phone/gadget junkie as I am...

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

4) Yes they do unless you get the 4.1 OS upgrade which now separates your mail into folders for each account. Only 7105t, I now have folders for my AOL, Yahoo, Gmail and fastmail.fe accounts (this retrieves my Hotmail since I don't have Hotmail Plus)

5) You can have 1 home address and 1 work address.

6) I think you can synch your calendar and contacts without being on a BES but I will let someone else answer that.

RYBBERRY no está en línea Stack level 1

Post Re: Treo user about to jump to an 8700: couple of ?s

(2) Can you SMS text message? I'm sure the answer is yes, but had to ask. ------YES

(3) I will be using only personal POP email accounts. It's my understanding the BB handles them just fine). --------YES THEY ARE PERFECT

(4) When retrieving email from, say, 3 different accounts, can they all have the same Inbox? ------YES, I HAVENT FIGURED OUT HOW YET, BUT THERE IS A WAY TO DO IT ACCORDING TO MANUAL---PAGE 16 ("IF YOU PREFER, YOU MAY HIDE THESE SEPERATE INBOX ICONS")
    HOW???????????????????????????????
    (5) I understand the BB Contacts PIM only allows for one address per contact. Correct? Which address does it use--home or business? ----NO, IT HAS BUSS AND HOME, USE FOR WHAT?

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

To hide icons, go to the icon you want to hide. Hold the ALT key and click with your scrollwheel and select Hide Icon. You can have a home AND a business address for one contact.

Quote Originally Posted by RYBBERRY
    (5) I understand the BB Contacts PIM only allows for one address per contact. Correct? Which address does it use--home or business? ----NO, IT HAS BUSS AND HOME, USE FOR WHAT?
    I had read elsewhere that the BB PIM only allows for one address; now that I understand you can have two, the question is moot.

Thanks again. Now I just have to figure out if the coverage in Palm Springs (where I vacation frequently) is decent enough. I've checked out their coverage map, but not sure how well that translates into real life...

mariana881 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2040A929

~~Posted via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~~i just switched from a treo 700w to the BB8700g and I don't regret it at all. All of my email accounts and text messages go into one folder. The edge is also great and makes web browsing fast...plus it doesn't freeze like my treo did.

faaltoo no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204B3E82

~~Posted via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~~
    Hi mariana881
    So your Treo700W is up for sale? Eh.
    ;-)

YourMom no está en línea Stack level 1

Good choice on the conversion! Answers within your text.

Quote Originally Posted by Argelius
    Hello all.
    I am a longtime Treo user in need of a new gadget to play with and am thinking of going to the Black (Berry) side. I've done a lot of online research but have a few remaining questions:

(1) 8700c vs 8700g: other than case color and inherent differences in Cingular vs T-mobile, any difference between them? (I'd also ask which carrier is better BBwise, but that's probably best addressed elsewhere).

Purely cosmetic

(2) Can you SMS text message? I'm sure the answer is yes, but had to ask.
    Yeap!

(3) I will be using only personal POP email accounts. It's my understanding the BB handles them just fine. (There is so much emphasis placed on BB corporate/enterprise email, just want to make sure I'm not missing anything).

Works just fine!

(4) When retrieving email from, say, 3 different accounts, can they all have the same Inbox? (In other words, do you have to enter and back out of multiple nested folders to see each new email? (On my Treo I can view all the new messages from one screen).

They are all viewed from one screen

(5) I understand the BB Contacts PIM only allows for one address per contact. Correct? Which address does it use--home or business?

That's not true, you can definitely show more than one address.

(6) Any general comments about the PIM functions of the 8700? I suspect Palm is better, but all I really need to do is sync my contacts and calendar to have it with me on my phone).

They work just fine once you get used to using shortcuts instead of a touch screen (one of the only things I miss from my old Treo 650)

(7) When composing email messages, is there any predictive text functionality? (i.e. must every letter of every word get typed?) On the Treo a list of word possibilities pops up as I type, so for instance, if I type "cong" I get the option of selecting "congratulations", "congressional", "congested", etc. I find it really speeds text entry).

There's no predictive text, but it does have easily customized Autotext. This means, for example, that when you type "im", it automatically changes it to "I'm". It has a whole bank of common ones, but it's really easy to add your own. It's not predictive text, but then again you don't really need predictive text with a good QWERTY keyboard (which the 8700 definitely has), do you?

Thank you to anyone who has bothered to read this far! These are sort of specific/picky questions, but knowing the answers will help me know if the transition to a BB will be too emotionally traumatic...

Just FYI, I've been through the Sidekick II, 2 Blackberries, then the Treo 650 before I got to the 8700, and the 8700 is by far my favorite. The only things I miss are the touch screen, the ability to edit word/excel docs, and (with reference to the SKII) a really stable, good AIM client.
    :-)

Excellent -- that is most helpful! Sounds like you are about as much of a serial gadget nut as I am... Looking forward to learning a new toy.

One more question if anyone is still listening...

I went to a T-Mobile store and played with the 8700 for about 10 seconds (got paged and had to leave before I could do more).

I went to the calendar and saw it only shows one day at a time. Is that the extent of the calendar program? No week or month views? That could be a deal-breaker for me... (If that's all the built-in calendar function will do, is there any third-party apps that enhance things?)

Toddboy71 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    T o' Bee

~~Posted via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~~
    Argelius,
    You CAN change to weekly or Monthly views in the calendar mode. Just click the trackwheel and click either view week or view month. On another note, Pocketday is a good app available on Handango.com. This integrates calendar, emails,missed calls, along with search tools,stock,weather,and RSS feeds. Check it out and hope you get a Blackberry soon!

Thanks...I knew I just scanned through things too quickly in the store.
    Think i'm going to put my Treo 650 on eBay and go get a BB this afternoon!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast