Why purposely cripple the BlackBerry 8700? If you had been watching various BlackBerry news releases ... RIM Blackberry 87xx forum

pentace no está en línea Stack level 3

To Invest or Not to Invest?

Advertisement

Why purposely cripple the BlackBerry 8700?

If you had been watching various BlackBerry news releases yesterday, you would have seen that the BlackBerry 8700 series devices are pretty horrible when it comes to video playback. They can do it, but, pail in comparison to oh, lets say, about everything else.
    Well, according to the BlackBerry maker co-CEO, Mike Lazaridis, Research in Motion meant for it to be that way…

In response to questioning over the BlackBerry’s poor video performance, Lazaridis said that the Intel processor in the 8700 had always boasted extensive “onboard [video and audio] acceleration” features, but that RIM “never enabled it” in order to ensure maximum “stability and reliability”.
    The next version of the BlackBerry firmware, v4.2, will enable these dormant hardware features on future and existing Intel-based BlackBerry devices (currently the is the only Intel-based BlackBerry), Lazaridis said. Once enabled, hardware acceleration could improve audio/video performance dramatically.
    My question is if you purposely cripple processor performance because you want to ensure maximum “stability and reliability”, how can it be OK to enable it after consumers voice how much it sucks that you didn’t enable it in the first place?
    Is stability and reliability no longer important?

BlackBerry hits hardware roadblock

QuickPlayer running on a BlackBerry 8700

Hardware limitations are preventing the BlackBerry from offering more advanced consumer-friendly multimedia features, according to two of the major multimedia application developers for BlackBerry handhelds -- QuickPlay Media and Sona Mobile.
    QuickPlay's flagship product, QuickPlayer, is an audio streaming service that offers international news, information and entertainment to BlackBerry users. At its launch on 15 June 2006, the service will offer a mix of free and paid-for content from a number of major providers. Specific content partners are yet to be announced, however, QuickPlay currently boasts deals with ESPN Mobile Publishing, Fox, BiteTV, Accuweather.com, The Score, E! Network, Sound Track Channel, CHUM Interactive and CBC.
    Presently, QuickPlayer only supports audio streaming, and is limited to use specifically with the BlackBerry 8700 model. Christina Biluk, marketing communications manager at QuickPlay Media told CNET.com.au that "hardware limitations" were the primary factor preventing the company from offering video streaming and support for other BlackBerry handhelds.
    Biluk added that the Intel PCA901 processor featured on the 8700 was the only chip out of the current crop of BlackBerry devices powerful enough to support QuickPlayer at acceptable quality levels.
    Sona Mobile has taken a markedly different approach. Its MediaPlayer software allows for both the streaming and local playback of video files on any BlackBerry device, but the company acknowledges that playback quality is significantly behind that of competing Windows Mobile and Palm handhelds.
    Sona MediaPlayer chugging along at 12 fps

Shawn Kreloff, chairman and managing director of Sona told CNET.com.au that there's a "severe limitation from the product and processing standpoint."
    "We've done the best you can possibly do given the constraints."
    Sona's demonstration at the 2006 Wireless Enterprise Symposium (WES) being held this week in Orlando, Florida highlights the aforementioned constraints. Video playback is limited to a chugging 12 frames per second (fps), while capacity limitations (the 8700 offers a meagre 64MB of flash memory and no expansion slots) mean that users can only store around 10 minutes of video at a time.
    While rumours of Research In Motion (RIM) launching a more powerful, multimedia-rich BlackBerry this week at WES flooded the Web in the lead up to the event, RIM told CNET.com.au that it in fact will not be launching a new handheld at the conference. RIM did, however, confirm that the company will launch such a device at some point in the future.
    Asher Moses traveled to Florida as a guest of RIM.
    Welcome to my World!

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Re: To Invest or Not to Invest?

Well, first off this atleast answers one question. Looks like we will be seeing the 4.2 OS upgrade within a month, since they are wanting to launch around mid June. So we'll have to keep our eyes open. I have a feeling that we will be able to find that os within the next 2 weeks or so, so everyone be on the lookout.

I have also been thinking about investing in either of these companies. Obviously it looks like it would be risky right now, because of the "problems" they say the current Blackberrys face, however, with the comment made by RIM that future models will be more "multimedia friendly" atleast gives that verification that it is coming.

Now here would be the question. If RIM sees that video/audio takes off on the devices, what are the chances of them coming out with their own version of some multimedia player and service? (Or does/will RIM stick to devices/hardware only?).

I think this could be a good opportunity to invest, because if these two companies are investing this much time, effort and money into it now to get this avaliable for the 8700 which RIM claims could "barely handle" it now, then I would forsee them keeping with it when the newer models of BB come out, but thats just my opinion.

I would love to invest, especially in Sona since their shares are less than $1 right now, however with all the online trading services, you need to have a minimum of $1000 initial investment, and I don't feel comfortable investing that much in the stock right now. If anyone happens to know a broker or a service that doesn't charge an arm and a leg or have a big minimal investment, please let me know. I have already been to e-trade. I would feel comfortable investing as much as I spent on my 8700 for the risk.

I figured some would be interested in reading that
    Welcome to my World!

sigmamason no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    22BFEE32

I think it would be cool if they made a device that was a little more "consumer" oriented. Having the multi-media options enabled would be great for the non-enterprise customer. I am sure that like me, there are a huge number of BB users that are not corporate oriented, just small business people or email junkies...

v_blackberry no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    204CFD57

YES!!! I would invest in a 8700. I don't care about the video playback part. The 8700 has other features on it that i luv.
    7105T(Pin:23D37D06) *8700G(Pin:23D53CE9) & *8100/PEARL(Pin:204CFD57) *Currently In Use...

May God Continue To Bless You, & Have A Nice Day!

it was more proned towards the media software :-p
    Welcome to my World!

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by pentace
    My question is if you purposely cripple processor performance because you want to ensure maximum “stability and reliability”, how can it be OK to enable it after consumers voice how much it sucks that you didn’t enable it in the first place?
    Is stability and reliability no longer important?
    That's probably oversimplifying the situation. It's likely that they weren't ready to release the multimedia features with the initial launch of the 8700 and 4.1. I'm all for RIM's approach. If I wanted a buggy multimedia mobile device I could go out and buy a Treo today. :P

Ruminator no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23d2215a

I'm also interested in investing in RIM, but haven't done my due diligence (yet).

~~Posted via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~~

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

On investing in RIM themselves:

Right now I think that would be a pretty risky move, especially since the stock is up around $60/share (last time I checked). With another lawsuit on the horizon, I personally don't think that it would be a wise move to invest in RIM right now.

It would seem that after the first lawsuit was settled, that stock would have skyrocketed, but now with another waiting in the wings, it actually seems to be dropping.

I am all for investing in SONA though. With their stock at -$1/share, the risk isn't all that great. If I am going to invest in a company, I atleast want to be able to buy 100 shares, and I don't have $6k+ to invest in RIM right now. However I do think that those companies such as SONA which are going to be at the ground level of developing software programs to utilize the devices themselves would be a pretty reasonable risk.

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

~~Posted via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~~ I would consider investing too. I would be interested to know if you found a place where you can.

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Melissa,
    There are a couple places, especially online (e-trade, etc) but I am not looking to invest the $1000 minimum that they have right now. Would 3 other people here be interested in going in $250 + trade fee each?
    Pin or Email me

Ruminator no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23d2215a

Quote Originally Posted by N8DBB
    Right now I think that would be a pretty risky move, especially since the stock is up around $60/share (last time I checked).
    Price today closed at 75.20. They are down substantially from the 78-level reached a few days ago. It's expensive stock alright and the PE is about 30 according to my research. Again, I haven't done my DD so I'm not making a recommendation one way or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by N8DBB
    I am all for investing in SONA though. With their stock at -$1/share, the risk isn't all that great. If I am going to invest in a company, I atleast want to be able to buy 100 shares, and I don't have $6k+ to invest in RIM right now.
    I don't generally buy penny stocks. (I was watching SGI for awhile, thinking that Silicon Graphics and Cray looked pretty attractive around the $1 level, but changed my mind and received a bulk email about their recent bankruptcy protection just the other day! ) I will, however, visit SONA's site and take a look at their investor-relations package. I'm always scouting for a good investment for some of my retirement funds.

As far as that new lawsuite goes.. from what i have heard its already been crushed and thrown out the door... if you are referring to the trackwheel one
    Welcome to my World!